Urban deer problem or urban human problem ?

Tootsie
Board Meister

Urban deer problem or urban human problem ?

Post by Tootsie »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#221621

Not so sure it's an urban deer problem. Seems to me it's more of a urban HUMAN problem.

Mmmm...so let me get this straight. You build housing in urban areas that have been inhabited by deer for hundreds of years and they eat the plants & shrubs you planted. Does that not make you guilty of feeding wildlife? Pretty simple solution - how about zeroscape with stuff deer don't like to eat. No food - they won't hang around long. Put food out - cedars, tulips, etc - yum smorgasbord !
lensbaby
Board Meister

Re: Urban deer problem or urban human problem ?

Post by lensbaby »

If they don't like it - leave. Pretty simple. Lots of other people who love the whole idea of Okanagan living wanting to move here.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Supposedly "deer resistant" plants are no longer so in the city of Penticton. These abominations of nature will now eat almost anything. Any "wild" animal that I can walk up to without it running away is no longer wild. No longer natural. Natural balance is gone as they have no predators to be afraid of. We humans would not want real nature in the city would we? That would mean having cougars, wolves etc walking around as well. That is real nature not the abomination that is currently occurring.
But go ahead and keep looking at Bambi as they are sad and need a hug. I look at them as food. Yum Yum Yum.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tootsie wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-221621-21-.htm#221621

Not so sure it's an urban deer problem. Seems to me it's more of a urban HUMAN problem.

Mmmm...so let me get this straight. You build housing in urban areas that have been inhabited by deer for hundreds of years and they eat the plants & shrubs you planted. Does that not make you guilty of feeding wildlife? Pretty simple solution - how about zeroscape with stuff deer don't like to eat. No food - they won't hang around long. Put food out - cedars, tulips, etc - yum smorgasbord !

Get some facts for lords sake. The local deer never foraged in the valley bottom or close to the valley bottom. We didn't encroach their territory. They are browsers, not grasers. There was never any food for them to be in the valley bottom or low elevation lands around Penticton or any other similar community until we habitated the lowlands and planted things they could eat.
We didn't displace their habitat, we created it, with our plantings, a new dependant animal. Not much different than bears that go after our garbage, compost, and fruit. Please get a little understanding of ungulates and their natural habitat before you spew nonsense.
And don't come back with a rebuttal until you have done some research.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Sorry but all the research I need to do is what I see in my backyard. Learned the hard way. Plant tulips - nope. Cedars - hell no they love 'em. Garlic in raised garden beds - yep believe it not not the buggers nipped the scapes off.

Maybe at one time the valley floor was not their normal grazing land but it is NOW. We humans aren't doing anything to discourage them by building developments on their hillsides and planting things they now have a taste for.
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

Don't like wildlife hanging around? Move to the centre of the city. Pretty simple.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

bidwell2 wrote:Don't like wildlife hanging around? Move to the centre of the city. Pretty simple.

There is plenty of wildlife in the centre of the city. Coyotes, deer, even bears and cougar have been sighted downtown in recent years.

The deer and coyotes have found the living is easy in town, the bear and cougar have followed for easy meals.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tootsie wrote:Sorry but all the research I need to do is what I see in my backyard. Learned the hard way. Plant tulips - nope. Cedars - hell no they love 'em. Garlic in raised garden beds - yep believe it not not the buggers nipped the scapes off.

Maybe at one time the valley floor was not their normal grazing land but it is NOW. We humans aren't doing anything to discourage them by building developments on their hillsides and planting things they now have a taste for.

We don't live in their traditional habitat. What do you not understand about that? It is just not natural. So we cannot plant our own garlic, tomatoes, lettuce, cabbage......without an 8 ft 4k fence around our property? Kinda makes encouraging people to grow their own food apply to only those that can afford a fence to keep out unnatural animals. Also makes a tomato cost about 20 bucks until the 4k 8ft fence breaks even in 30 yrs!! And what an attractive community with 8 ft wire fences around properties.
Get a grip. Every City Bambi should be roasts and sausage for the people trying to grow their own food and can't afford a deer fortis fence to protect it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Stupid deer. Someone is going to get hurt. One jumped right over my hedge last night and straight into my pool. Drowned
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That is tramatic, sorry that happened to you Tsayta.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

tsayta wrote:Stupid deer. Someone is going to get hurt. One jumped right over my hedge last night and straight into my pool. Drowned

Don't let the deer activists find out, they'll probably make you fill it in and plant deer friendly plants since we are on their land :130:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Queen K wrote:That is tramatic, sorry that happened to you Tsayta.

Am thinking the only traumatic part was the bill the poster had to pay to remove the rodent from the pool, repair the damage to the liner, and dispose of carcass. Likely exceeded the price of an entire side of organic beef.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's a terrible enough thing to find out the urban deer were dining in Chez QK's tulip smorg, nevermind having to remove the whole on the hoof critter from one's pool.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

bidwell2 wrote:Don't like wildlife hanging around? Move to the centre of the city. Pretty simple.

Then you will just have to deal with the CrackHeads and the homeless :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

blueliner wrote:

Then you will just have to deal with the CrackHeads and the homeless :130:

I am practically in the center of town. I have more deer than either. And raccoons.

Every morning I wonder if the QK Diner suited Bambi.

Return to “South Okanagan”