Summerland skate park

Poindexter
Guru

Re: Summerland skate park

Post by Poindexter »

I only wish there were skateparks when I grew up in the 70's and 80's. Unless you were lucky enough to find an empty cement pool, which I never did, any smooth slab had to do. Take a look at the old competitions when Rodney Mullen was blowing us skateboarders away. They were held in what basically were parking lots. Then along came the olly which changed everything and now I'm in awe about what skateboarders like my son can do.

I originally got him a skateboard for the summer so he would be able to keep up with me snowboarding in the winter, but it has become a life long love of his. I'd hop on my antique plastic board with big red rubber wheels to show my son how we did it in the old days. I'd spin myself dizzy with 360's or pull off the moonwalk and he'd beg me to stop because he'd be laughing so hard. Then he'd do a kick flip and I'd stand there with my jaw dropped wondering how it's even possible.

For his 10th birthday I built him a half pipe and would watch in amazement at how easy he made it look and then I'd try to drop in and shoot my skateboard over the fence into the neighbor's yard. Again he'd laugh and beg me to stop.

I've never regretted all those years I drove him around to competitions where he'd come away with not only a load of gear, but also a load of friends and confidence. Skateboarders are probably the most supportive group of competitors you'll ever meet. Even though its a individual sport, competitors go crazy for each other when someone pulls off something special, or even for the rookie who took 5 tries to land a basic trick they just learned. There are alot of other sports that could learn a thing or two about sportsmanship from skateboarders.

Like any sport it takes incredible skill to master which can only be gained by hours and hours of practice. It's one of the reasons it ticks me off when I hear people maligning skateboarders in an effort to begrudge them a place to practice thier sport.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
rubato

Post by rubato »

The whole skateboard park thing sounded like an okay idea to explore at the time when it was first proposed. The original concept was reliant upon local grassroots fundraising. This stalled and we as taxpayers are picking up the pieces. I am not opposed to a skateboard park, but when people try to convince me that this will be grood for tourism, I have to laugh out loud. 34 + degree weather and the tourists are hanging out at the the new skateboaurd park by the roundabout? I don't think so. Hmmmm...what could we do with 1/2 million down at the lake? I'm pretty sure we could get way more bang for our buck if we shifted our focus.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I have no problem with public dollars being spent on "fringe" groups, but it makes sense to me that the amount of money spent should be proportionate to the size of those special interest groups in relation to the whole of the local population.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:I have no problem with public dollars being spent on "fringe" groups, but it makes sense to me that the amount of money spent should be proportionate to the size of those special interest groups in relation to the whole of the local population.

Yes, a zero should have been removed from the total cost expenditure to make it a proportional investment.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
old boy
Fledgling

Post by old boy »

Just to refresh everyones memories,when the idea first came up at the previous Council 4 years ago,the original donation of $145,000 by the Penny Lane Group,was to cover 2/3 of the cost, based on the Peachland model of the approx cost of $220,000.The balance was to be raised in the community or by a Gov't grant,there was supposed to be no direct cost to the taxpayer of Summerland.Didn't happen!!!!!Now this Council had design work done and they are now going to spend $600,000,no wonder the questions/comments from some of you.I am not against a skate board park,BUT the cost seems to have gotten way out of hand from the original idea!!! Not very responsible,given the state of some of our infrastructure!!
rubato

Post by rubato »

Thank you, old boy, for providing the history on the original proposal. Much appreciated. Like I said a few posts ago, it seemed like an okay idea at the time it was originally proposed. Now we are being faced with a whole new kettle of fish.
gecko_

Post by gecko_ »

It's good to get outdoors, and this will help encourage the kids to get off the couch. Maybe consider the money as being spent on supporting younger generations in healthy activities. Because, of course the only real investment any of us can make is in our children lol. Plus It might just cheer up some of your tired hearts to see kids laughing and playing outside (BONUS) ;)
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

And what about all that noise those kids will be making having that darn fun???? [icon_lol2.gif]
totoramona
Board Meister

Post by totoramona »

fluffy wrote:I have no problem with public dollars being spent on "fringe" groups, but it makes sense to me that the amount of money spent should be proportionate to the size of those special interest groups in relation to the whole of the local population.

Were you aware that just last year a $435,000 grant was allotted for "trail development" on Giant's Head Mountain? A mountain that people have been hiking on for a hundred years without the benefit of developed trails??

If the kids with skateboards don't have a park, they find places around town to skate: sidewalks, parking lots, etc. I think the going rate to build a park is outrageous, but I don't doubt the wisdom of building a place to encourage healthy, outdoor, face to face interaction for kids.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

totoramona wrote:...I don't doubt the wisdom of building a place to encourage healthy, outdoor, face to face interaction for kids.

Neither do I. My point was that users of a skateboard park represent a small percentage of Summerland’s youth. Is a proportionately larger amount of funding available for the rest?

Giant’s Head is a significant tourist attraction, and appeals to a wide variety of people, young and old alike. I find it hard to fault spending on tourist attraction in the Okanagan, it’s a big part of our economy.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
gecko_

Post by gecko_ »

Just because its called a skate park doesn't actually mean its just for skateboards. These parks are used by kids/adults who ride BMX, roller blades, scooters, mountain bikes and skateboards which I'm pretty sure actually represents a large proportion of the youth population.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

gecko_ wrote:Just because its called a skate park doesn't actually mean its just for skateboards. These parks are used by kids/adults who ride BMX, roller blades, scooters, mountain bikes and skateboards which I'm pretty sure actually represents a large proportion of the youth population.

gecko, not trying to take away your positive outlook on this project, however, I am sure there will be and will have to be restrictions placed on what and who can ride this park. A lot of it will depend on design (which we haven't seen yet). Who is going to enforce rules and regs? Hours? Again I say, if you look at the actual demographics of kids in Summerland, 600,000 is a lot of money. Just saying.
spooker

Post by spooker »

southy wrote:gecko, not trying to take away your positive outlook on this project, however, I am sure there will be and will have to be restrictions placed on what and who can ride this park. A lot of it will depend on design (which we haven't seen yet). Who is going to enforce rules and regs? Hours? Again I say, if you look at the actual demographics of kids in Summerland, 600,000 is a lot of money. Just saying.

The skate park in Kelowna seems to do well ... kids, teens, and adults mixing it up at all times of day
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Hummm ... Care to share kelowas demographic numbers say .. 0-15 and up and compare them to summerlands numbers. Your post is a tad misleading .. As in apples to oranges.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

old boy wrote:Just to refresh everyones memories,when the idea first came up at the previous Council 4 years ago,the original donation of $145,000 by the Penny Lane Group,was to cover 2/3 of the cost, based on the Peachland model of the approx cost of $220,000.The balance was to be raised in the community or by a Gov't grant,there was supposed to be no direct cost to the taxpayer of Summerland.Didn't happen!!!!!Now this Council had design work done and they are now going to spend $600,000,no wonder the questions/comments from some of you.I am not against a skate board park,BUT the cost seems to have gotten way out of hand from the original idea!!! Not very responsible,given the state of some of our infrastructure!!

This project is funded by donations and a federal grant. The Gas Tax Funds are a grant allocated to specific projects. No money is coming out of Summerlands budget and there is no direct cost to the taxpayers in Summerland. Seems that besides the increased cost, the project is proceeding exactly as originally presented to the public.

southy wrote:gecko, not trying to take away your positive outlook on this project, however, I am sure there will be and will have to be restrictions placed on what and who can ride this park. A lot of it will depend on design (which we haven't seen yet). Who is going to enforce rules and regs? Hours? Again I say, if you look at the actual demographics of kids in Summerland, 600,000 is a lot of money. Just saying.

The concept plan has been available to the public for a very long time. In fact, the plans were revealed to the public in 2016. Link to the park design below:

https://issuu.com/summerlandrecreation/docs/summerland_concept_model/1?ff=true&e=15715716/37212906

Return to “South Okanagan”