Naramata CUPE workers on strike

Re: Naramata CUPE workers on strike

Postby southy » Jan 21st, 2015, 8:59 pm

totoro wrote:I'm really sad to hear this - spent a glorious two weeks with the kids at the centre not too many years ago. A very special place.

My first thought is also that the union did no favours for the employer or the workers here, but maybe there is more to it.

Totoro I really don't think the union can be blamed. Staff were not payed big wages even being union. There is more to this story and I'm sure in time the truth will come out. The God business is getting tough these days. Let's see 23 acres with beach front ... yup United Church could walk away with a few pennies in their pocket.

XT225 likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1006 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 21st, 2015, 10:02 pm

southy wrote:
Totoro I really don't think the union can be blamed. Staff were not payed big wages even being union. There is more to this story and I'm sure in time the truth will come out. The God business is getting tough these days. Let's see 23 acres with beach front ... yup United Church could walk away with a few pennies in their pocket.

Southy, you are right in that the union did not break this camel's back. But let;s be real here....religion today is basically a business. While we would all like to think of the "church" as being a philanthropist entity, the reality is that the money does not grow on trees. The Board of Directors of the United Church are not kumquats. For their own survival, and to be able to continue their mission statement, they assess assets as to performing or non.
As you point out, the real estate in Naramata is considerable. If I were on the Board, or you, from a business stand point, would we continue for the sake of 20 CUPE employee's, or cash in about 5 mill for the coffers to spread the Christian word elsewhere?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby southy » Jan 21st, 2015, 10:14 pm

Yup - you got it! Last appraised value I heard was $6m. I also seem to recall they had a study done by Colliers International and that could be tied to this decision as well.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby southy » Mar 19th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Has anyone heard what actually happened or is happening at this place? They closed, but what happened to the unionized employees? Still on strike? Why? Has the place be sold? Seems nobody is talking ... interesting.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby twobits » Mar 19th, 2015, 8:42 pm

southy wrote:Has anyone heard what actually happened or is happening at this place? They closed, but what happened to the unionized employees? Still on strike? Why? Has the place be sold? Seems nobody is talking ... interesting.

My guess is that you won't see anything happen with this property until the two year mark that legally removes the union's ability to picket the property. Then, either the church will resume business without union employees or it will be sold to developers that would slather over owning this prime piece of real estate. Can you think of another piece of Okanagan real estate of this size, with lakeshore on Okanagan Lake?
If I had a spare 6 mill, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It has destination/timeshare resort written all over it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby Tony » Mar 20th, 2015, 6:20 am

The employees have been directed to stay on strike until the severance package that is part of their negotiated deal has been met. Until the church agrees to pay everyone, and executes the payment, you will see the strikers there, even though the facility has closed down.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 425 posts

Postby southy » Apr 3rd, 2015, 7:46 pm

Tony wrote:The employees have been directed to stay on strike until the severance package that is part of their negotiated deal has been met. Until the church agrees to pay everyone, and executes the payment, you will see the strikers there, even though the facility has closed down.

I understand that this is now a done deal. Employees are being given severance payout. Gotta love the United church of Canada .. And they talk about social justice. Pathetic bunch of hypocrites. I feel for those employees who stuck it out for close to a year.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby cv23 » Nov 19th, 2015, 11:24 am

What a great place for refugees!
The United Church is committed to helping refugees as I'm sure is CUPE too. With some Justin Government funding reopening and making the camp/retreat into a place for housing refugees would be a win win win situation.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 1953 posts

Postby pentona » Nov 19th, 2015, 11:54 am

cv23 wrote:What a great place for refugees!
The United Church is committed to helping refugees as I'm sure is CUPE too. With some Justin Government funding reopening and making the camp/retreat into a place for housing refugees would be a win win win situation.

Yes, not a bad idea. We would also add numbers to the school system locally and maybe they would decide not to close some of them.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 633 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 22nd, 2015, 6:23 pm

And if Mohmar Gadhfi was anywhere close to correct about bunny breeding tendencies, Naramata Elementary will be bringing in a cpl of portable classrooms very soon. That would be shortly before Naramata's first Mosque. After which the portables would no longer be required. Our Government will then fund the Mosque school as they do current private schools. They won't need the public school system and it's non sectarian curriculum anymore, and Naramata Elementary will close.

Now, before any of you jump to call me a racist fear monger, the above was tongue in cheek....halfway anyway. Before any of you jump to flame me, consider what many parts of Europe are now experiencing when Muslims become the majority population.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/socce ... -1.2438142

And view this and ask why Germany is inviting another 800k refugee's when they can't even deal with what is already there. Watch the video to the end....only a cpl of minutes......and ask yourself if we want to repeat the same here.

http://chalpari.com/watch/anYi5cvsq9U/t ... rmany.html

I am not against taking refugee's. But if we do, we must vet to the highest standard and if they are truly skilled people escaping war, disperse them across the country where their skills are quickly put to work to support themselves rather than dump them in depressed areas because that is where cheap housing is available only to languish on social assistance which will then breed our own home grown discontent radicalized issues.
So, back to the the topic of Narmata Center being ideal and saving the local school....I would vote an absolute no. There is nothing in the local economy to absorb a refugee community even the size that the Naramata Center could house. All it would create would be a dependence on social resources, near poverty existence, and unhappy resentful people that become the next generation of mobile Jihadists.

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby cv23 » Nov 22nd, 2015, 8:26 pm

twobits wrote: All it would create would be a dependence on social resources, near poverty existence, and unhappy resentful people that become the next generation of mobile Jihadists.

So no real change from the CUPE workers?

featfan likes this post.
cv23
Guru

Postby cv23 » Nov 27th, 2015, 1:27 pm

cv23
Guru

Previous

Return to South Okanagan