Penticton Yamaha and Marine

twobits
Guru

Re: Penticton Yamaha and Marine

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:I suspect that there's a lot that went on behind closed doors that we're not hearing about regarding PY&M's lease arrangements, nor am I likely ever to be party to what went down. I'm just looking at this as a step towards a better use for the property, hopefully a nice upgrade to a highly visible corner of town.

As do we all. It's just the planning and foresight that sucked. This was a sad exercise that was disrespectful of the goodwill of a long standing business based on nothing more than a one year friggen lease that could very well end right back in the laps of the same incompetent lands manger at City Hall.
I'll say it again.....where was City Hall's vision for this piece of valuable waterfront two years ago and why were there no RFP's thrown out then? At least that would have given PY and M a chance to relocate to new leased premises or build their own building. You try doing that with a cpl of months notice and Yamaha Canada wanting to know where the franchise will be located. They want franchise payments just like any other franchise does for their name brand and product. And the harsh reality I have heard is that the Attrill brothers have been forced to give up the Yamaha Franchise because they do not have a suitable new location and cannot afford to continue paying those fee's without a location. Do any of you realize that a Franchise name such as Yamaha is worth at least a cpl hundred thousand in goodwill alone. Shame on the City for at least not considering the impact of their actions.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:I'll say it again.....where was City Hall's vision for this piece of valuable waterfront two years ago and why were there no RFP's thrown out then?

I know nothing of the dealings between PY&M, but the sudden change in a longstanding relationship does lead me to think there is more to this than meets the eye.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

I'm sorry that the Attrills' closed their business but they had plenty of time to find a new location. In fact they would have had 15 months notice at the minimum but for some reason they fail to mention that when discussing this with the media.

The Request for Expressions of Interest was issued on May 17, 2013 and closed on June 25, 2013. It is likely that the city informed the Attrills' prior to the REI being issued that the lease of the property was going to be sent out for an REI and that their lease would not be renewed as is but they were welcome to respond to the REI. Even if the Attrill's were not informed prior to the REI being sent out they would have known in Sept. 2013 that they were not one of the final 2 proposals being considered.

From the Sept.17, 2014 Penticton Herald:
“We’ve operated the business here for many years and we received an eviction notice months ago” Attrill said. “This was a done deal a long time ago.
also
"Four initial submissions were reviewed and the two highest-ranked proponents were invited to submit a request for proposals in September 2013 after which Trio Marine Group was selected. The current marina operator, Penticton Yamaha and Marine Ltd., was not among the final two proponents."

PY&M had a sweetheart deal with the city and the reason they closed up shop is that they can't find a lease arrangement even close to the one they had with the city. Assuming their lease was similar to the one signed by Trio Marine they would have been paying $36,000/year for a 1 acre lakefront parcel with a 66 slip marina and the only gas on the lake. 18' boats paid $550/year and the bigger the boat the more you pay. Even if every boat in the marina was 18' the income from those 66 slips alone would have more then covered the lease. The city was basically leasing them that site for free. I'd venture a guess and say the real reason PY&M didn't open at another location in Penticton is because they couldn't find another location that offered free rent.

If anyone wants to see the REI it's below:
http://www.penticton.ca/assets/Business/2013-EOI-01-Skaha%20Lake%20Marina%20and%20Waterfront%20Lease.pdf
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Tricky thread, easy to turn into a negative business review kind of thing. I'd like to keep the thread running, so please be aware that negative business reviews will result in the thread being removed again.
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

Upcoming information sessions for those interested

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/141447/Major-marina-makeover
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Anyone know how much money the city is dumping into this project?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

madmudder wrote:Anyone know how much money the city is dumping into this project?

Well, they're going to have to pay someone at city hall to deposit the lease payments in the bank...
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

So how many beautiful trees and green space will be sacrificed in this beautiful park for this so called "great development idea"? It's a small area to begin with - and a serene peaceful area. So adding a loud chaotic venue to the mix is the right thing?
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

JBX wrote:Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Those fickly people, seem to be the vast majority of a certain demographics in this town, and they certainly don't discuss anything other then gossip.

It does not take long on this board to see why Penticton is such a hard place for businesses to strive in, just go read nearly any thread about progress or a complaint, the Harley thread is a great example, the boonstock one was full of it also.

It is a great concept on paper but there are several pitfalls, the first being the "probably be dead before its done crowd" who seem to complain about everything, the second is like a lot of people here have said exactly how much business will they get in the off season? I can't see the locals really using it that much once the wow factor wears off.

I like any idea that will expand Penticton beyond a certain crowds desire to turn it into a graveyard, but I really question the initial monetary investment that must be going on with this renovation...

Plus, I am unhappy with the cities handling of Yamaha and Marine and that has tainted my views on this I will admit.

I am one of the younger one's posting here.

Please don't assume how big my mind is... lol

I WANT Penticton to be busier, more attractive to the younger crowd, more liberal in what City Hall wants, to bring some life here.

Penticton is hard on businesses, because it is a very small town. We have nothing to offer 9 months of the year.

Then we lose our next generation, intelligent kids, to the big city. There is nothing here for them. No entertainment, no jobs that are worthy of their education. If I was 21 and just got a degree, I'd be out of here in seconds.

I love the concept of the new Skaha Trio development. I think it will be amazing for the tourist crowd in the summer. But I don't think it will really benefit the locals.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

What do you mean no benefit to the locals. There is going to be some seasonal minimum wage jobs that weren't there before.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Anonymous123 wrote:What do you mean no benefit to the locals. There is going to be some seasonal minimum wage jobs that weren't there before.

Okay, some minimum wage jobs for 3 months of the year. Those kids would still find other jobs and/or spend their allowance.

It can't hurt, but it isn't going to make any kind of significant impact.

Hopefully, if it does happen, it will draw in a lot more tourists for those few months. That would make a benefit to the town. But the other 9 months, I don't see the place making any money.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Anonymous123 wrote:What do you mean no benefit to the locals. There is going to be some seasonal minimum wage jobs that weren't there before.

onestop67 wrote:Okay, some minimum wage jobs for 3 months of the year. Those kids would still find other jobs and/or spend their allowance.

It can't hurt, but it isn't going to make any kind of significant impact.

Hopefully, if it does happen, it will draw in a lot more tourists for those few months. That would make a benefit to the town. But the other 9 months, I don't see the place making any money.

I did say seasonal, and that was my subtle attempt at sarcasm.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Anonymous123 wrote:I did say seasonal, and that was my subtle attempt at sarcasm.

Ahhh, and I said seasonal in my first post. Sorry, I misunderstood you. But you didn't use the sarcasm font!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

onestop67 wrote:Penticton is hard on businesses, because it is a very small town. We have nothing to offer 9 months of the year.

That's the problem isn't it? There was once a time when those three months of busy busy could sustain some businesses. Campgrounds were full of families, the beaches rocked non stop, Main Street was a cruising strip in the evenings, the place was hot. Now the camprounds and waterparks are full of townhouses and condos and the families are gone. The party town thing got out of control a few times so that's history. The motels have turned into crack houses with year-round rentals just so the owners could survive. I'm at a loss as to just what sort of year-round businesses Penticton could support?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I wasn't aware that Penticton Yamaha and Marine was putting in any water slides, restaurants, etc. Please folks, if you want to discuss the new tenants, do so, but start a new thread on it. According to one poster, the Attrils may no longer have the franchise, so that name would be history. I hope that they are able to re-establish themselves in another location.

Return to “South Okanagan”