Penticton Yamaha and Marine

onestop67
Guru

Re: Penticton Yamaha and Marine

Post by onestop67 »

"And waterslides? As a destination draw...Seriously? I can't even think of one that has not been ripped out years ago. A roller skating rink would be a better nostalgic investment."

Hey, maybe it's like bell bottoms. Things come back into favour. Personally, I would LOVE to have watrerslides back for my kids. I think waterslides fell out of favour because they just didn't earn enough money to cover the cost of how much property they required.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

"As to the restaurant......I think all the cards depend on that being a success to make the location more than just a summer piece of real estate. It's a great location on the waterfront but as is the truth with 98% of restaurants, they will have only one kick at the can to do it right from the start. Does anyone remember Shaughnessy's Cove in Summerland?
If they don't, does the city then become the owner of a restaurant and waterslide to lease out to a parade of entrepreneurial cooks with a better menu idea?
I truly do wish them success because their success is Penticton's success. I just think this was not a well thought out process with terminating a long standing business only to wait until now to see some conceptual drawings. And scary ones at that. If the City were desirous of private sector investment in the area, why was the original lease not left intact and a RFP be put out to see some plans and financing security upfront. Instead, they terminate a longstanding business and here we are already well into the next tourist season and we get conceptual drawings for a bloody waterslide. We just passed the May long weekend and the place was closed Sunday and Monday. Boaters on Skaha could not even buy fuel!! I am seriously questioning both the competence of the new owners and the City's planning foresight on that alone."

I don't see the restaurant doing anything, other than 2 months of the year. There are no tourists, none of our kids are in town because they are away at school...

I've been in the restaurant/pub industry foir years. This company spending millions to develop the place, will never see their money back. I figure bankrupt in a year. Then the City will be left with a fancy building on City land that NO one will ever lease.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

onestop67 wrote:I don't see the restaurant doing anything, other than 2 months of the year. There are no tourists, none of our kids are in town because they are away at school...

I've been in the restaurant/pub industry for years. This company spending millions to develop the place, will never see their money back. I figure bankrupt in a year. Then the City will be left with a fancy building on City land that NO one will ever lease.

This town is notoriously hard on restaurants, it's just like you say there are a couple of months in the summer and a few weeks around Christmas that has to account for just about all the profit. The rest of the year it's break even if you're lucky. I was trying to think about the restaurants that have had some staying power over the years and I can't really find a common thread other than decent food and a loyal customer base. But Penticton is a notriouosly fickle crowd, you really can't afford to disappoint anyone or they're gone, gone and talking to all their friends about what a crappy time they had there..When that happens you're toast.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Those fickly people, seem to be the vast majority of a certain demographics in this town, and they certainly don't discuss anything other then gossip.

It does not take long on this board to see why Penticton is such a hard place for businesses to strive in, just go read nearly any thread about progress or a complaint, the Harley thread is a great example, the boonstock one was full of it also.

It is a great concept on paper but there are several pitfalls, the first being the "probably be dead before its done crowd" who seem to complain about everything, the second is like a lot of people here have said exactly how much business will they get in the off season? I can't see the locals really using it that much once the wow factor wears off.

I like any idea that will expand Penticton beyond a certain crowds desire to turn it into a graveyard, but I really question the initial monetary investment that must be going on with this renovation...

Plus, I am unhappy with the cities handling of Yamaha and Marine and that has tainted my views on this I will admit.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

JBX wrote: I can't see the locals really using it that much once the wow factor wears off.

Thaat's hard to say for sure, there are some operations that have been surviving (I hesitate to say thriving) for a long time that always make through the fall and spring doldrums. A lot of it depends on what sort of a menu and price range they offer. One thing we've been without for a couple of decades at least now is a Keggish sort of steak house.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I hope your right, I might have issues with the city but that doesn't spill over into wanting them to fail.

Once aspect I am looking forward to, as somebody who lives in Kaleden the ability to launch the boat, putter over and either dock or beach it then go for a meal has a certain appeal to me.

Granted I've only been here for two years and this is the first time I've -ever- been in the water or had a boat its still brand new and amazing.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I have to wonder if the Attrils and Penticton Yamaha and Marine (after all, thats what this thread is about; not any new development) might relocate to the new PIB area over the Green Ave bridge. After all, they weren't treated especially well from the city and may not be in any hurry to continue paying taxes to the city. I would have thought that the city would do their utmost to help them relocate their long and well established business within city boundaries. I haven't lived here long enough to recall it but I was told the originally the Yamaha dealer was located where Red Wing Resorts now sits on the lake side of the highway. Twobits...any truth to that?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:I have to wonder if the Attrills and Penticton Yamaha and Marine (after all, thats what this thread is about; not any new development) might relocate to the new PIB area over the Green Ave bridge. After all, they weren't treated especially well from the city and may not be in any hurry to continue paying taxes to the city. I would have thought that the city would do their utmost to help them relocate their long and well established business within city boundaries. I haven't lived here long enough to recall it but I was told the originally the Yamaha dealer was located where Red Wing Resorts now sits on the lake side of the highway. Twobits...any truth to that?

I've been here since the early 70's and have no recollection of a Yamaha dealer at red wing. My only memory of the property was a semi marshland campground for fruit pickers.
And no, the Attrills are not looking at the new PIB lands development. Their problem has been finding a suitable location. They need a suitable storefront, parts dept area, and at least a two bay shop. On top of that they also require a suitable yard space for boats etc that are waiting for repairs that is fenced and secure. You don't store chit like boats, sleds and ATV's on trailers that are not behind a fence and security system.
Take a look around town. The Attrills have, but there is nadda that meets the needed criteria. If anyone can find something or knows of something that is not listed that would work, please phone the Attrills and let them know.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
I've been here since the early 70's and have no recollection of a Yamaha dealer at red wing. My only memory of the property was a semi marshland campground for fruit pickers.
And no, the Attrills are not looking at the new PIB lands development. Their problem has been finding a suitable location. They need a suitable storefront, parts dept area, and at least a two bay shop. On top of that they also require a suitable yard space for boats etc that are waiting for repairs that is fenced and secure. You don't store chit like boats, sleds and ATV's on trailers that are not behind a fence and security system.
Take a look around town. The Attrills have, but there is nadda that meets the needed criteria. If anyone can find something or knows of something that is not listed that would work, please phone the Attrills and let them know.

Thanks for that, twobits; figured you would know about as much or more than most of us. Perhaps it was just a "Billboard" sign on that land. Sounds like the requirements for their business isn't an easy one to find. Perhaps Summerland might be open for business. I seem to recall a boat building company from Penticton (the name escapes me) that moved from here to there a few years back; not sure if they are still in business or not.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

XT225 wrote:I have to wonder if the Attrills and Penticton Yamaha and Marine (after all, thats what this thread is about; not any new development) might relocate to the new PIB area over the Green Ave bridge. After all, they weren't treated especially well from the city and may not be in any hurry to continue paying taxes to the city. I would have thought that the city would do their utmost to help them relocate their long and well established business within city boundaries. I haven't lived here long enough to recall it but I was told the originally the Yamaha dealer was located where Red Wing Resorts now sits on the lake side of the highway. Twobits...any truth to that?

twobits wrote:I've been here since the early 70's and have no recollection of a Yamaha dealer at red wing. My only memory of the property was a semi marshland campground for fruit pickers.

I remember the fish pond in the Red Wing area. You got a fishing pole and a handful of bait to throw into the water to excite the trout. Cost a dollar a foot. Can't remember if that was in the sixties or the early seventies. But I don't remember a Yamaha dealer either. I hope the Attrills find something soon.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

I've been since 1980 and I remember a Yamaha dealer where red wing is now.
I guess you do lose your memory when you get ancient.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There was the old Mount Chepaka Motel site on the west side of the highway coming in, it went through a number of incarnations before finally coming under the wrecking ball, most recently what looked to be some sort of second hand auto sales/wrecking business but I can't remember a Yamaha anywhere out in that neighourhood. I worked building some of the first houses in the Redwing development (before I got all ancient and stuff) and my recollection is empty marshland.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Yamaha has always been on Skaha. The Redwing development was built on a marshland by a group that were barricading Apex for desecration to the natural lands......

Just saying that was a little weird at the time. Filling in a wetlands????
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Tony wrote:...The Redwing development was built on a marshland by a group that were barricading Apex for desecration to the natural lands......

Just saying that was a little weird at the time. Filling in a wetlands????

The rules and regulations around locatee land bear little resemblance to what we might think is normal off the reservation. If I remember correctly the whole Redwing development was a deal between locatee owner Leonard George and developer Dave Kampe. It was politically out of reach of the rather militant PIB leadership of the day.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

The Yamaha dealer was "Pacemaker" I believe, "Bike Barn" started there as well. It was a wooden "A"Frame building located on the east side of the highway. North of the traffic light? 70s into the early 80s.

Return to “South Okanagan”