Penticton Yamaha and Marine

XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton Yamaha and Marine

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:Do you know how many actually kept boats there ? I wonder if all the new housing that has popped up on the hillside above there has any influence. Some might like the convenience. Like I said, if skiing is your main water activity Skaha might actually be preferable over Okanagan for those who live nearby.

I don't honestly know how many boats were kept there. There are 70 slips. Never heard of a waiting list to get mooreage on Skaha; unlike the big lake. I agree that for the locals, its a popular lake for skiing, especially if you live nearby. I also think that since the boat launch is free, locals especially will take advantage of that, considering the doubling of mooreage fees.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I guess I just don't get it. Charge for the size of the boat not the size of the lake.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

ToddT wrote:I guess I just don't get it. Charge for the size of the boat not the size of the lake.

Nope, guess you do not get it. Bottom line is last year it cost $550; this year $1000 (for the 20' boat being discussed). A bit more than a reasonable increase. I wonder what mooreage on Chute lake would cost? Maybe $100 or so per year?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That really depends on your perspective. From a business point of view perhaps the okd rates were unreasonably low.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:That really depends on your perspective. From a business point of view perhaps the okd rates were unreasonably low.

From a business point of view perhaps the new rates are unreasonably high. There's always another side to things. No other mooreage on Skaha so its impossible to say. The proof will be in how many (or few) people decide to suck it up, or go elsewhere or just trailer their boats daily.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:The proof will be in how many (or few) people decide to suck it up, or go elsewhere or just trailer their boats daily.

Can't argue with that. It will be interesting to see what the outcome is. Perhaps the improvements the new tenants are planning will even lead to an increase in business. I'm sure that's what they're hoping, whether their hopes are fulfilled is the big story. The neighbourhood landscape in that part of town has changed a lot over recent years. There's some money down there now, perhaps enough money that $1K/yr. moorage isn't a significant deterrent.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I would like to know about the folks who are out of business at the moment and was the Title of this thread.

I hope that they are able to reopen with a new location in Penticton with a better landlord than previously. The new company has nothing to do with the name Yamaha.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Yamaha dealer was the first tenant in the development proposed across Green Ave. They are likely not too loyal to the city of Penticton after the way in which they were treated.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

On Okanagan lake all you have to do is install a private buoy anywhere you choose and its free moorage
I have to add choose anywhere its allowed by the gov(many many places)
Last edited by wanderingman on Mar 6th, 2015, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

wanderingman wrote:On Okanagan lake all you have to do is install a private buoy anywhere you choose and its free moorage

That's what a number of houseboat owners in Kelowna thought too. And they are no longer there.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

That's what a number of houseboat owners in Kelowna thought too. And they are no longer there.
[/quote]

go to the north end of OK lake at a place called lakeview estates there are about 50 or more private buoys there
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

wanderingman wrote:

go to the north end of OK lake at a place called lakeview estates there are about 50 or more private buoys there

And perhaps when it gets to 60 or more the locals will get upset and have them moved just as happened in Kelowna.

Just because people anchor "permanent" personal buoys does not mean it is a permitted practice. Would you want your ownership name attached to one of these buoys when it maims or kills a water skier or tuber?
Last edited by twobits on Mar 5th, 2015, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Just because people anchor "permanent" personal buoys does not mean it is a permitted practice.

Really? Well your quit misinformed because I contacted the government dept. that gives out buoy permits and they seem to think all is well???
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Well if you think you can drop an anchoring buoy anywhere you desire, and get permission to do so for any location you desire.....fill your boots and tell us how successful you were with your application.

southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Speaking of just dropping a buoy ... perhaps this link will answer some of those questions.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... s-3006.htm
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

southy wrote:Speaking of just dropping a buoy ... perhaps this link will answer some of those questions.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/tp ... s-3006.htm

thanks southy and I rest my case!!
TwoBits!!! Don't mix up houseboats where people live verses a 20 ft pleasurecraft simply moored

Return to “South Okanagan”