Penticton Airport flights

Penticton Airport flights

Postby Rosemary1 » Aug 7th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Let's hope that when WestJet actually starts flying into Penticton they are an improvement on Air Canada's so called expanded flights to Calgary that is supposed to make things so much better for our residents who work in alberta oil coming home on time off.

It's about a 7.5 hour drive from Penticton to Calgary. You would be lucky to fly into Penticton using Air Canada in that timeframe. Most flights are from 7.5 hours to 9 hours and some as high as 11-12 hours to get from Calgary to Penticton alone. Its a long milk run with stops in Edmonton, or Vanc. before getting to Penticton.

When someone has 4-7 days off per shift and spends as much as 14-24 hours of that time on a flight to get home and back can't help but wonder how attractive that prospect really is. Might be faster to fly direct to Kelowna and find your way to Penticton another way. just wondering.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 728 posts

Re: Penticton Airport flights

Postby onestop67 » Aug 7th, 2015, 2:10 pm

Rosemary1 wrote:Let's hope that when WestJet actually starts flying into Penticton they are an improvement on Air Canada's so called expanded flights to Calgary that is supposed to make things so much better for our residents who work in alberta oil coming home on time off.

It's about a 7.5 hour drive from Penticton to Calgary. You would be lucky to fly into Penticton using Air Canada in that timeframe. Most flights are from 7.5 hours to 9 hours and some as high as 11-12 hours to get from Calgary to Penticton alone. Its a long milk run with stops in Edmonton, or Vanc. before getting to Penticton.

When someone has 4-7 days off per shift and spends as much as 14-24 hours of that time on a flight to get home and back can't help but wonder how attractive that prospect really is. Might be faster to fly direct to Kelowna and find your way to Penticton another way. just wondering.

??? Westjet does fly into Penticton, every day. There is a direct flight to Calgary, EVERY DAY!!! From there, you have to get to Fort Mac.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
onestop67
Guru

Liked in: 344 posts

Postby GordonH » Aug 7th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Unfortunately Air Canada flights are not direct into Penticton from Calgary. They are into Kelowna & its 80 minute of less trip between the 2 airports.

As for Westjet it appears that flight is direct 1Hr 22 minutes
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9082 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby ToddT » Aug 7th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Rosemary1 wrote:

I would amount this to a "cost of doing business."

Dizzy1 likes this post.
ToddT
Übergod

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby XT225 » Aug 7th, 2015, 2:58 pm

Rosemary1 wrote:Let's hope that when WestJet actually starts flying into Penticton they are an improvement on Air Canada's so called expanded flights to Calgary that is supposed to make things so much better for our residents who work in alberta oil coming home on time off.

WHEN they start flying into Penticton? Where have you been? They've been doing that daily since last year; mid afternoon. The announcement of an early morning flight is extremely inviting, allowing ample time in Calgary for most connections. The only problem now is that the morning flight will mean crowding in the terminal (due to the Jazz flight that leaves around 6am). Better get that expansion of the holding area fast tracked.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 706 posts

Postby fluffy » Aug 7th, 2015, 5:01 pm

I've been commuting from Penticton to the oilsands for a couple of years now and here's my take. There are flights to and from Penticton that make it worth using our airport as opposed to Kelowna. I see the drive time between Penticton and Kelowna plus hassles of parking as a big minus in the Kelowna idea. Last year I could catch the early morning AC flight and connect with a direct flight from Vancouver to Ft. Mac that had me on the ground by 10:30 Alberta time. Coming home was pretty close to the same, early flight Ft. Mac to Van in time to catch the lunchtime flight from Van to Penticton. Unfortunately the noon flight comes and goes, usually gets cancelled for a few months in the wintertime. A little different this year, I'm working for an outfit that has its own airstrip and I just have to get myself back and forth to Calgary or Edmonton. It's okay coming home, I catch a flight out of camp early enough to make the WestJet flight in the afternoon. Heading out is not so great, spend of a day travelling. Westjet flight won't get me to Calgary in time to connect with the camp flight so it's AC in the morning. At least I can sleep in a bit and take the not-so-damn-early flight around ten. It is what it is, like Todd says, it's we we do for the big buck. Simple fact is that the airlines will schedule flights as traffic requires, if more people use it then service will get better. I notice flights running fairly full most of the time so maybe some greater variety in scheduling is in the wind.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4420 posts

Postby XT225 » Aug 7th, 2015, 9:36 pm

I'm glad for you, Fluffy that AC flights to Ft. Mac have worked well for you from here through Van. I use AC a fair bit and no problems but going East from here to connect to the main WestJet Hub in Calgary with an early morning flight out of YYF will be very good news for a lot of folks going further East. The present afternoon only flight just didn't work for me but the morning one certainly will. Now, if we can just get Transport Canada off their butts to follow through with the holding area of the terminal expansion, that would be super. Having a 50 seat holding area for a plane that can carry 70, is inadequate, especially since there are presently no washrooms in that area and folks wishing to use one must go back out through security and go through the check once again. I know that the airport manager isn't pleased and is doing his best to get the ball rolling; its almost become political.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 706 posts

Postby twobits » Aug 7th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Did anyone see the news today about the delay in the Hold Room expansion. Classic gov't cluster eff. Only tender received from Transport Canada for the expansion from what...50 seats to 80 seats was 900k! They were thinking 200k so the whole thing ground to a halt.
Now we have WJ announcing two more connections per day and they will still be holding passengers in the portable classroom still.
One has to wonder if it is a) pure bureaucratic incompetence, b) the premium that companies demand because of a), or c) tender documents that specify stainless steel nails, toilets and urinals as well as hurricane proof glass and the ability to become a certified nuclear bomb shelter. Just in case.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Aug 7th, 2015, 10:43 pm

I doubt it will ever happen but I'd love to see Westjet fly to Vancouver from Penticton. Flying AC is so incredibly painful that it's almost unbearable. Surly staff at the airport and the flight attendants are miserable and rude. If I have to connect somewhere, I'll take WJ and connect through Calgary. I avoid AC whenever I can.

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby Whyme2 » Aug 8th, 2015, 4:31 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:I doubt it will ever happen but I'd love to see Westjet fly to Vancouver from Penticton. Flying AC is so incredibly painful that it's almost unbearable. Surly staff at the airport and the flight attendants are miserable and rude. If I have to connect somewhere, I'll take WJ and connect through Calgary. I avoid AC whenever I can.

Air Canada most likely doesn't want you as a passenger either!

2 people like this post.
Whyme2
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 487 posts

Postby civil » Aug 8th, 2015, 5:53 pm

It looks like WestJet added a late night flight from Calgary to Penticton for Spring 2016.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dizzy1 likes this post.
civil

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby twobits » Aug 8th, 2015, 6:05 pm

Whyme2 wrote:

You are right. And we the travelling public have taken note of that attitude. And if you, any of your family, or friends, are AC employee's, you should be very worried about that message you just sent.
One leg (segment) flights are not a big concern for me with AC. When I have connecting flights to catch, be it with AC or another carrier, I get real worried and do my best to avoid AC even if it costs me a few bucks more.
AC is famous for claiming weather as a reason to not protect customers and their connections. They then tell you your rights to dispute the decision knowing full well that the effort and process of doing so far exceeds the value of the cab, over night hotel room and meal(s) so you will just go away.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Bunnyhop likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Aug 8th, 2015, 6:07 pm

Whyme2 wrote:[Bunnyhop"]I doubt it will ever happen but I'd love to see Westjet fly to Vancouver from Penticton. Flying AC is so incredibly painful that it's almost unbearable. Surly staff at the airport and the flight attendants are miserable and rude. If I have to connect somewhere, I'll take WJ and connect through Calgary. I avoid AC whenever I can.

Yes! They have made that abundantly clear! Westjet, on the other hand, has made it clear they appreciate my business so I'm happy to give it them. :-)
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby civil » Aug 8th, 2015, 6:08 pm

...and they've also added an early 7am flight to Calgary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2 people like this post.
civil

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 8th, 2015, 8:33 pm

I'm assuming that the OP is part of a fly in/out camp and requiring to travel to either Calgary or Edmonton to connect to their charter flights.

I know some people who's charter leaves Calgary at 7am and they have to fly the night before from Kelowna and spend a night.

Other people I know fly in from Eastern Canada including Halifax and St.Johns.

Another one I know drives from Castlegar to Kelowna and another from Quesnel to Vancouver.

Driving an hour from Penticton to Kelowna is nothing.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5136 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan