Penticton Airport flights

Re: Penticton Airport flights

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 8th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Suncor is the only company providing fly in/out flights outside of Alberta that I know of flying into Vancouver, Saskatoon and Kelowna for both the Firebag and Fort Hills projects. Imperial's flights outside of Alberta ended back in March for their Kearl project.

WestJet's morning flight out of Kelowna to Fort McMurray is usually only a quarter full but the evening flight is usually 3/4 full. The Kelowna flights to Edmonton and Calgary easily carry more workers to catch their charter flights for the Kearl, Sunrise, Surmont, Horizon projects.

As others have mentioned above, it's the cost of doing business. The airlines go where the money is and adjust their schedules accordingly. They don't cater to individual needs, they cater to profit.

It's simply part of the lifestyle of choosing to live here and work out of Province. Travel days are part of that. If it's taking too much time out of your turn around - then perhaps it's time to relocate. I know of several people who made that decision in the last year.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5136 posts

Postby XT225 » Aug 8th, 2015, 10:15 pm

Dizzy1, this thread is about flights in and out of Penticton airport; not Kelowna. The new proposed early and late flights by Westjet is a welcome addition to YYF. For many of us, flying in and out of Penticton will just get easier and more convenient. I much prefer to fly from here if at all possible. Parking is very inexpensive at YYF as well.

pentona likes this post.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 705 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 8th, 2015, 10:43 pm

XT225 wrote:Dizzy1, this thread is about flights in and out of Penticton airport; not Kelowna. The new proposed early and late flights by Westjet is a welcome addition to YYF. For many of us, flying in and out of Penticton will just get easier and more convenient. I much prefer to fly from here if at all possible. Parking is very inexpensive at YYF as well.

Relax kiddo. Depending on the OPs flight schedule to and from work, sometimes other options are a more convenient fit. Until any new service in YYF commences, YLW may be the more convenient option for the OP if they don't want to spend the majority of the day travelling.

As an example, if the OP needs to fly to Calgary for an early afternoon departure on a charter it may be more convenient for them to drive to Kelowna and catch a late morning flight vs. an early morning flight to YVR from YYF and then connect to YYC.

This thread isn't about your pride for your airport it's about the best time/money management for someone who works out of Province and needs to work with the schedule as is. Just trying to help the OP.

Read Fluffy's post. It's one thing if you need to go to YMM and a completely different scenario if you need to catch a charter to Albian, Firebag or Horizon. So for the OP, with YYFs current schedule YLW may be a better option depending on their flight needs at least until YYF gets a service that fits them better.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Aug 8th, 2015, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Postby XT225 » Aug 8th, 2015, 10:54 pm

I had to pick someone up at the Kelowna airport last friday evening. Traffic was a nightmare; took me twice as long to drive (white knuckled) to YLW than it did for that person to fly from Calgary to YLW. They were relaxed; I was not. I asked them why they didn't fly into YYF instead; they said that they WOULD have, if it was an evening flight inbound (which we will have soon). With the new schedules for YYF upcoming, I think a lot more folks that are going EAST (not necessarily North) will choose YYF (if they live in the South Okanagan of course). Calgary is also a major hub for going South to tropical destinations in the winter. This isnt about pitting YLW vs YYF, its about Penticton flights in and out.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Dizzy1 » Aug 8th, 2015, 11:06 pm

XT225 wrote:I had to pick someone up at the Kelowna airport last friday evening. Traffic was a nightmare; took me twice as long to drive (white knuckled) to YLW than it did for that person to fly from Calgary to YLW. They were relaxed; I was not. I asked them why they didn't fly into YYF instead; they said that they WOULD have, if it was an evening flight inbound (which we will have soon). With the new schedules for YYF upcoming, I think a lot more folks that are going EAST (not necessarily North) will choose YYF (if they live in the South Okanagan of course). Calgary is also a major hub for going South to tropical destinations in the winter. This isnt about pitting YLW vs YYF, its about Penticton flights in and out.

While I agree with you, the OP isn't going east per se, they have very specific schedule needs. I do hope the new schedules will benefit the OP but I know as a fact that the new early morning flight to YYC won't help the people I know who need to get to YMM for work before 2pm and the evening flight will be a very tight connection. As for the people who connect to a charter - they'll just spend end up spending most of the day sitting at YYC.

The morning and evening flights will be great for those wanting to go East, South, Sun Destinations and WS's up and coming expanded services to Europe. But the OP wasn't referring to those flights - they were referring to people who work up North as to which I replied.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Postby fluffy » Aug 9th, 2015, 6:15 am

True. My needs as an individual are beside the point, it's nice to see increased choices for air travel to and from Penticton, and especially nice to see connections east without having to route through Vancouver. I'll take whatever fits best for me, AC or Westjet doesn't matter hugely, fares and schedules govern my choice. Somebody nailed it earlier in the thread, if I'm only off for a week there are better places to spend my time than hanging around airports. I don't mind the early departure from Penticton to make a suppertime charter departure in Calgary, there's more than enough time on the ground in YYC to play around some, hit a mall or grab a nice lunch. We work with what's available.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4414 posts

Postby jamapple » Aug 9th, 2015, 9:36 am

XT225 wrote:I had to pick someone up at the Kelowna airport last friday evening. Traffic was a nightmare; took me twice as long to drive (white knuckled) to YLW than it did for that person to fly from Calgary to YLW. They were relaxed; I was not. I asked them why they didn't fly into YYF instead; they said that they WOULD have, if it was an evening flight inbound (which we will have soon). With the new schedules for YYF upcoming, I think a lot more folks that are going EAST (not necessarily North) will choose YYF (if they live in the South Okanagan of course). Calgary is also a major hub for going South to tropical destinations in the winter. This isnt about pitting YLW vs YYF, its about Penticton flights in and out.

I can see it now. " How was your flight"? "Great"! Why the Hell did you fly into Kelowna, and not Penticton? The drive here was ridiculous"! ( add uncomfortable silence for rest of trip back to Penticton here).
jamapple
Übergod

Liked in: 1267 posts

Postby XT225 » Aug 9th, 2015, 10:36 am

jamapple wrote:
I can see it now. " How was your flight"? "Great"! Why the Hell did you fly into Kelowna, and not Penticton? The drive here was ridiculous"! ( add uncomfortable silence for rest of trip back to Penticton here).

That was pretty much it, word for word, except I made them repeat 1000 times on the way to Penticton: "I will never fly into Kelowna when Penticton flights are available".
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby nepal » Aug 16th, 2015, 10:39 pm

I've had good service with both AC and WJ.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nepal
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 269 posts

Postby JagXKR » Aug 22nd, 2015, 8:30 am

Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Bunnyhop likes this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1753 posts

Postby JagXKR » Dec 26th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Parking is so overcapacity right now it's ridiculous. Over 100 cars parked in grass or other non-designated parking spots. For all those that thought Westjet coming here would be a failure ....wel you were wrong. The most cars ever parked at this airport and we have not even started with the 2nd flight. Oh yeah did I mention 2nd flight. It is scheduled for arrival Feb 15 at 9pm and first flight out is next day Feb 16 at 7am.
Also Westjet has had every flight get in and out. There is a new approach to YYF that the old Dash 8's that Jazz uses can't fly. The new Q400's have the equipment to fly them and are 100% so far.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1753 posts

Postby Rosemary1 » Dec 27th, 2015, 2:19 am

Go westjet!l makes planning travel easier and usually cheaper
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 728 posts

Postby fluffy » Dec 27th, 2015, 6:15 am

Rosemary1 wrote:Go westjet!l makes planning travel easier and usually cheaper

I agree that it's nice to have more options but the price thing is not a given. As someone who flies a fair bit I can tell you that the fares you pay are more a function of booking ahead and just how many "frills" you want than what airline you fly with.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4414 posts

Postby pentona » Dec 27th, 2015, 9:56 am

Rosemary1 wrote:Go westjet!l makes planning travel easier and usually cheaper

So how do I get to Vancouver on Westjet, from Penticton? Go East to Calgary; then West? Kelowna airport I guess or AC from Penticton direct.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 633 posts

Postby XT225 » Dec 27th, 2015, 10:34 pm

pentona wrote:
So how do I get to Vancouver on Westjet, from Penticton? Go East to Calgary; then West? Kelowna airport I guess or AC from Penticton direct.

You wouldn't be going anywhere this evening (not out of YYF anyways). The plane around dinner time from Vancouver never got in. Will be dicey if the late one arrives as well unless the clouds lift. These were AC. Not sure if the Westjet plane got in this afternoon or not.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan