Penticton Waterslide

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Penticton Waterslide

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:My overall thoughts? Finally some rational approach being taken and the citizens being taken seriously rather than being dumbed down by "we think it's good for Penticton and if you disagree, you are an uninformed citizen".

Given the current state of affairs I doubt anyone with a lick of business sense would want to sink any money into such a contentious project. I'm guessing that this was a business decision first (by the developers) and the path of least resistance for the city.

The Western published some hint of another waterpark idea today, but a waterborne one offshore.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

I know typically there is a 24 hour delay in the city’s video presentations, so I’m throwing up a clip from today’s meeting for those that are interested.

(Sorry, zoomed in a little too much in the encoding, – I’m sure the full video will be available tomorrow through the city.)
The information package can be found here:
http://www.penticton.ca/EN/meta/city-ne ... group.html
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

fluffy wrote:
"Our" ?? I didn't say everyone was gloating, just you.

"I" am including myself if the word "Our". There is no gloating period. Just pleased that Trio backed off or couldn't get financing. Twobits is right; and I stand corrected. Council didn't listen, it was Trio who changed the proposal.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I find it interesting that there have been no comments on the thread about today's public revelation that the City has an alternative business interested in taking on the Marina Lease that includes no desire or need to encroach on any parklands outside of the current Marina lease area or interest in displacing the current concession stand operators. And a Wibit in lake water park too. That certainly shoots down Mzuck's concern of no Marina operator after Jan 1st if they cancel the lease with Trio. Which begs the question....."What in hades was Mzuck concerned about when Trio locks the gates on Oct 1st until May 1st anyway?"
I am actually laughing my *bleep* off over this one. The City has been informed 10 days ago that there's another interested party but say nothing. It takes the interested party going to the media to make it known to the public that if continuity of Marina operation is a consideration for staying the course with Trio, they just checked that box. Yet another example of truth and transparency. If Mzuck's sphincter was in a knot over this Marina Lands debacle before, he's got to be chugging Metamucil now.

Can anyone tell me why an engineer whose title is Manager of Public Infrastructure is such key person in this Marina Lease decision anyway? Many of his answers and comments on many things should be coming from the CAO or legal, not an Engineer in charge of the public works of roads, sewer and water. Who's running the show on the 100 block??
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:I find it interesting that there have been no comments on the thread about today's public revelation that the City has an alternative business interested in taking on the Marina Lease that includes no desire or need to encroach on any parklands outside of the current Marina lease area or interest in displacing the current concession stand operators. And a Wibit in lake water park too. That certainly shoots down Mzuck's concern of no Marina operator after Jan 1st if they cancel the lease with Trio. Which begs the question....."What in hades was Mzuck concerned about when Trio locks the gates on Oct 1st until May 1st anyway?"
I am actually laughing my *bleep* off over this one. The City has been informed 10 days ago that there's another interested party but say nothing. It takes the interested party going to the media to make it known to the public that if continuity of Marina operation is a consideration for staying the course with Trio, they just checked that box. Yet another example of truth and transparency. If Mzuck's sphincter was in a knot over this Marina Lands debacle before, he's got to be chugging Metamucil now.

Can anyone tell me why an engineer whose title is Manager of Public Infrastructure is such key person in this Marina Lease decision anyway? Many of his answers and comments on many things should be coming from the CAO or legal, not an Engineer in charge of the public works of roads, sewer and water. Who's running the show on the 100 block??

Yes, it was an interesting article re possibly giving the Wibit operator a chance at the Marina.

Isn't Mzuck "Acting CAO" at the present time until they find a new CAO? Or if not, he sure acts like one.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:

Here is the scoop, twobits; hot off the press:

November 15, 2016 - 1:45 PM
PENTICTON - The City of Penticton has hired a new chief administrative officer.

Peter Weeber has held the CAO position for two years with the District of Mackenzie in northern B.C., according to a city media release, and before that was the CAO for the Village of Queen Charlotte and the District of Stewart. He was the fire chief and emergency program manager in Terrace for ten years as well.

“Peter’s core values of building relationships and strong teams, communication, political astuteness, and decisive and innovative management are what attracted the eye of council. He has a proven record of success throughout his career,” mayor Andrew Jakubeit says in the release.

Weeber is expected to take over from acting chief administrative officer Mitch Moroziuk sometime in December.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:
Isn't Mzuck "Acting CAO" at the present time until they find a new CAO? Or if not, he sure acts like one.

Ah, you are right. Had forgotten that. It does however just beg the question of why a career engineer ends up in even a temp CAO position? Is the talent pool so shallow at City Hall?
A plausible explanation might be that everyone right down to bylaw officer were offered the temp title but all refused because no one wanted to be seen driving the clown car......even temporarily.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:The City has been informed 10 days ago that there's another interested party but say nothing. It takes the interested party going to the media to make it known to the public that if continuity of Marina operation is a consideration for staying the course with Trio, they just checked that box.

We have to consider the possibility the Mr. Gallagher, who operates a boat rental business and the Wibit Park on Okanagan Lake, is pursuing what he sees as a lucrative business opportunity, as he has yet to make any financial commitment on the scale of Trio's $1.5 million dollar promise.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:

We have to consider the possibility the Mr. Gallagher, who operates a boat rental business and the Wibit Park on Okanagan Lake, is pursuing what he sees as a lucrative business opportunity, as he has yet to make any financial commitment on the scale of Trio's $1.5 million dollar promise.

I only pointed out that there was a checked box to counter Mzuks detraction that if the lease were cancelled, there would be no Marina operator as of Jan 1st. That in itself is laughable given that since Trio has taken over Marina operations, the gates are pretty much locked from Oct to May. Is that a "Marina Operation" that the public had in the past 20 yrs with the previous operators?
I would also remind you that Trio has yet to supply any financing guarantee's as well.... as required. And they have had how long to do so including a 12 month extension?

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
I only pointed out that there was a checked box to counter Mzuks detraction that if the lease were cancelled, there would be no Marina operator as of Jan 1st. That in itself is laughable given that since Trio has taken over Marina operations, the gates are pretty much locked from Oct to May. Is that a "Marina Operation" that the public had in the past 20 yrs with the previous operators?
I would also remind you that Trio has yet to supply any financing guarantee's as well.... as required. And they have had how long to do so including a 12 month extension?

Well said, twobits. Many folks forget that the previous operation was a Marina that operated from May to Oct, BUT it also had another huge retail segment (motorcycles, Quads, Snowmobiles,) that operated year round and provided good, full time employment for several people. (and they weren't minimum wage jobs).
ETA: I don't recall seeing anything much being sold there this year other than marina slips and gas and a few burgers. A far cry from what it used to be. I also think that NOT giving the present operator of the East Concession a chance at renewal is not right at all.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:
Many folks forget that the previous operation was a Marina that operated from May to Oct, BUT it also had another huge retail segment (motorcycles, Quads, Snowmobiles,) that operated year round and provided good, full time employment for several people. (and they weren't minimum wage jobs).

XT, the Marina slips were annual rents, not May to Oct. If you wanted to leave your boat in the water year round you could and you could access the docks year round during daylight hours. You could also buy fuel year round. Now you can't.
The motorcycle, quad, sled business was no marina operation but rather an ancillory and complimentary component that allowed the Marina to be open 12 months a year because it provided a revenue stream that covered all four seasons. Instead we got another burger or wrap restaurant that can't sell a burger or wrap to anyone between Oct and May so the gates get locked.
Just bloody brilliant.

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

In today's political climate, it'll be tough for any business to come up with a model that makes enough in the tourist season to keep staff on and the marina open.

It doesn't seem odd to me that council felt having a small engine repair business on the waterfront, in the park, subsidized by the taxpayer, wasn't the best use for that bit of land, but I can see why those who appreciated the service were glad to have it there, and I can see why they've decided that council is solely to blame for the loss of a service they appreciated.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Valid points rustled. While I can see the economic value in giving summer-only businesses a "leg-up", council drastically underestimated the community backlash against what they viewed as a corporate takeover of park land. But going forward, we are going to have to get used to the idea of public/private partnerships if we want the summer tourist season to continue. At least in the short term as any alternatives for economic prosperity are going to take years to capitalize on if a viable plan can even be found.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Looks like the City finally woke up. Either that or they didn't want a battle at the meeting on weds night.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#181499
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:Looks like the City finally woke up. Either that or they didn't want a battle at the meeting on weds night.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#181499

Lol, the City didn't wake up.....Trio did.

Return to “South Okanagan”