Penticton embraces rainbows too?

Penticton embraces rainbows too?

Postby maryjane48 » Aug 27th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Penticton is the latest Okanagan community to look at inclusivity of LGBTQ individuals.

Council recently directed staff to look at options regarding the matter in the city.

"Some council members talked about rainbow crosswalks and others talked about a broader reach for being inclusive," said Mayor Andrew Jakubeit. "So staff is going to start researching over the next few months and will come back with a recommendation."

Jakubeit said the issue was placed on the agenda because Kelowna has installed rainbow crosswalks and it has been discussed by Summerland council.

Other communities throughout Canada and the U.S. are also striving to be welcoming to all.

For now, factors such as budget, scale, location, timelines and seasonality will have to be investigated.

"We have already started becoming a diverse community and being inclusive is part of that strategy," said Jakubeit. "We will develop something and roll it out in the new year."
http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... go-rainbow

bout time this place became more colourfull :)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2668 posts

Re: penticton embraces rainbows to?

Postby Gixxer » Aug 27th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Is this the new trendy bandwagon for municipalities to jump on?

4 people like this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1747 posts

Re: Penticton embraces rainbows too?

Postby LANDM » Aug 27th, 2015, 3:30 pm

No, I think it is viewed as a nice way to illustrate to residents and visitors alike that thr community isn't composed of only bigoted homophobic religious nuts.
It's simply a nice gesture rather than a "trendy bandwagon".
Much like taking down confederate flags in the US communities. It is a nice gesture to do that too, but I am certain that there are plenty of bigoted racist nutbars that feel that is a trendy bandwagon too.

2 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4428 posts

Postby twobits » Aug 27th, 2015, 4:45 pm

At the risk of being labelled a bigoted homophobic religious nut, I disagree with the City painting crosswalks rainbow colors as a show of tolerance to the gay et al community. In my mind, the City and it's elected council are representatives of the entire taxpaying community. Although I am not one of them, this would include the Christian right as well as Muslims etc who silently do not approve of such lifestyles. So, having said that, as long as we are all taxpayers, it is the City's duty to remain neutral to any and all special interest groups.
Are pro choice and pro life groups now going to demand their own "colors"? How bout a crucifix hanging from every traffic control light? The City has no business in getting involved and should be a neutral sectarian organization that represents all of it's taxpayers equally. If council members want to show their support for this cause, then participate in the Gay Parade. If they want to support a Christian view, attend church and midnight mass. But never spend taxpayer dollars while doing so.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

7 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Postby LANDM » Aug 27th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Certainly, you don't actually think that the city doesn't spend money, or give grants to other special interest groups, whether religious or otherwise?
I understand that you are against that and, for that matter, so am I. However, if we are in a system where things are being done for groups that petition heavily for their assistance or recognition, then I have no problem with a rainbow crosswalk. Hell, even if the only reason was to *bleep* off the bigoted homophobic religious nuts, that would be good enough for me!! Haha

Special interest group grants, donations, support mechanisms etc. are done all the time and have been for decades. Nuking property taxes for churches, as just one example, was in place far before any other grants were in place as far as I recall, if we are continuing down the path of comparing to religions.

As for being labelled anything, I don't see why you would be at risk for that. Now, if you were calling the wrath of god down upon the "*bleep*"......well, that would be a bit different, don't you think?
LANDM
Guru

Postby JBX » Aug 27th, 2015, 5:35 pm

I'll be honest here, the more this is crammed down my throat the less tolerant I am becoming to those groups. I don't CARE what you do in your bedroom or your private life, but the more you wave it in my face and force everything to change to suit just YOU the more I start to resent you and become less tolerant.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

2 people like this post.
JBX
Fledgling

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby LANDM » Aug 27th, 2015, 6:29 pm

See, that's the difference between me and you. I don't see that anything is being waved in my face. I don't see anything changing, except for the positive of some folks, that have a different sexual orientation than you and I, don't feel as much like they are going to be a target of any sort by people who hate them simply because of what they do in their bedroom.

If you and others truly didn't care, then there would never be an issue. Slowly, it is moving in that direction, and that's a good thing.

The fact that you "start to resent" them and become less tolerant is ample evidence that you already resent "them" and aren't tolerant of them at all......I know, I know, you have friends and uncles or nephews that are gay etc.
it's all a standard and predictable response.

3 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Postby Brenky » Aug 27th, 2015, 6:35 pm

JBX wrote:I'll be honest here, the more this is crammed down my throat the less tolerant I am becoming to those groups. I don't CARE what you do in your bedroom or your private life, but the more you wave it in my face and force everything to change to suit just YOU the more I start to resent you and become less tolerant.

Unfortunately for you, JBX, this is going to be "crammed down" your throat more and more often these days. I don't think anybody is "forcing everything to change" to suit their lifestyle. What do you consider "waving in your face"? Two men holding hands in public? A woman giving her girlfriend a peck on the cheek in the park? Or perhaps you consider the cries and pleads for equal treatment to be too much?

When a group of people have been continually shunned, humiliated and repressed by society, it's only natural for them to come to a breaking point and begin to stand up for themselves and their basic human rights. Do you understand the reasoning behind the increased coverage and support of LGBT rights? Have you read news stories of people being brutally beaten because of being gay (here, I did the research for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=beaten+up+for+being+gay)? It happens every day. Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything; the intention of the crosswalk is to bring about a message of tolerance (it's a shame yours is so easily swayed), a simple reminder to LGBT folk that there are advocates out there, people who wish for them to have the same treatment in society that most take for granted.

Well, I guess that's about it. I don't really hope to change any minds, because once someone has a point of view they're likely to stick with it, but maybe what I said will give a bit of insight.

3 people like this post.
Brenky

Liked in: 58 posts

Postby twobits » Aug 27th, 2015, 7:15 pm

LANDM wrote:

Certainly, you don't actually think that the city doesn't spend money, or give grants to other special interest groups, whether religious or otherwise?

Special interest groups yes, but ones that are all inclusive. Such as the Brain Injury Society, Women's shelter, Farmers market, etc. Where gays, Christians, Muslims, Atheist's, bullied persons, and so on can form support groups that transcend religious, or moral beliefs as a condition of inclusion.
LANDM wrote:

I understand that you are against that and, for that matter, so am I. However, if we are in a system where things are being done for groups that petition heavily for their assistance or recognition, then I have no problem with a rainbow crosswalk. Hell, even if the only reason was to *bleep* off the bigoted homophobic religious nuts, that would be good enough for me!! Haha

If only to pizz of the bigoted homophobic religious nuts. Huh? Seriously? That is your way of getting even? Capitulate to the group that lobbies the hardest? You have spoke volumes about your real position of tolerance with this post. You have none except for those that agree with you.
LANDM wrote:
Special interest group grants, donations, support mechanisms etc. are done all the time and have been for decades. Nuking property taxes for churches, as just one example, was in place far before any other grants were in place as far as I recall, if we are continuing down the path of comparing to religions.

Grants have been given out for decades, and sometimes to questionable causes which is a topic for another discussion. And yes, churches have been exempted as per your example. The key point however is that these grant exemptions applied equally to qualified organizations from Atheist to Zionism. All are equally considered.
LANDM wrote:
As for being labelled anything, I don't see why you would be at risk for that. Now, if you were calling the wrath of god down upon the "*bleep*"......well, that would be a bit different, don't you think?

I will never be at risk for labeling any group that is inclusive to everyone.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby Bunnyhop » Aug 27th, 2015, 7:31 pm

What exactly do these rainbow crosswalks accomplish? How do they demonstrate that Penticton (or whatever city) is "inclusive"? Sorry, but IMO it's just paying lip service to a particular group of people. Just because the city paints rainbow crosswalks doesn't mean the community has suddenly become open minded and tolerant of every lifestyle choice.

Rainbow crosswalks aren't going to change a thing.

3 people like this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby fluffy » Aug 27th, 2015, 8:04 pm

I find the whole concept of seeking social equality by way of special recognition more than a little paradoxical.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4414 posts

Postby LANDM » Aug 27th, 2015, 8:20 pm

twobits wrote:If only to pizz of the bigoted homophobic religious nuts. Huh? Seriously? That is your way of getting even? Capitulate to the group that lobbies the hardest? You have spoke volumes about your real position of tolerance with this post. You have none except for those that agree with you.

While I assumed that the obvious "haha" that I added at the end would indicate that I was joking, it was lost on you.

No, I'm not trying to "get even" with anyone.....I'm not sure what I would be getting even for?!?!......as for my tolerance, yes I admittedly am intolerant of intolerance.
I am actually very tolerant of other viewpoints but the ones that have been espoused here or the "Nancy" thread are nonsensical. Sure one can think what they want but for someone to, on the one hand, say they don't care what someone does in the privacy of their bedroom and then, on the other hand, spout a rant that indicates they care very deeply and in a very negative way, it makes little sense to me.

If you don't agree, that's cool. Times have changed and you can either recognize it or not. No skin off my arse.

There are far worse things that our taxes pay for and I have no problem with it. Also, your claim about every group that gets funding or grants is somehow "inclusive" whereas a rainbow sidewalk is not inclusive is unfounded.
LANDM
Guru

Postby twobits » Aug 27th, 2015, 8:51 pm

fluffy wrote:I find the whole concept of seeking social equality by way of special recognition more than a little paradoxical.

So true. And history is littered with the down trodden that cannot let go and move forward. To be constantly berated with a cause just becomes tiresome and actually becomes counter productive.
Quite frankly, I don't think much of the population really cares about anyone's sexual orientation these days. I certainly don't.
So what is the point of rainbow crosswalks? They are not going to convert the minority of religious zealots or rednecks to be more tolerant. So why pizz off people that are already tolerant with a waste of resources that begins with the hours of city staff examining the issue all the way to the cost of multi colored reflective road paint.

And for those that think it's just a cpl gallons of cheap paint......call your favorite paint supplier and ask them what reflective road paint costs per gallon. Off the top of my head, as per provincial regulations for thickness for a two year durability....2 to 3 k per crosswalk. In one color. Clean the equipment for each color....????

Terris likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby persia17 » Aug 27th, 2015, 9:24 pm

I have followed this forum and posting for many years. I currently live in New York City but grew up, spending all of my childhood in Penticton. My family still resides in Penticton. I felt compelled to register for an account on Castanet in order to respond to this post. This is my first post and will probably be my only post on this website. I frequently follow the new and postings to keep in touch with what is happening in my hometown.

While I understand that people don't want to have other ideals "shoved down their throats", the painting of a rainbow crosswalk is simply a symbolic gesture and I believe harmless in nature.

Having grown up in Penticton I was consistently called a '*bleep*', 'fairy', 'homo' and all the usual words used to describe homosexuals. I was never 'out' or acknowledged my sexual orientation while I lived in Penticton. Recently, I returned to visit family. As a 29 year old I walked down Main Street and had a young man shout '*bleep*' at me. Having lived in New York City for a number of years, where this doesn't normally happen, I was taken aback, especially since I was neither dressed nor acting in a way that would draw attention to myself (and that should not be relevant to the conversation). Similar situations have happened on other visits to visit family in Penticton, being a younger adult I disregarded them. To be honest, I would be reluctant to bring my partner to visit my family in Penticton. At home I frequently hold my partner's hard, share a kiss in public and display affection, however, if I were to do these simple actions in Penticton I may or may not face some sort of reaction in any form.

While a crosswalk is symbolic, it represents an attempt to be inclusive. In a small town such as Penticton, as a gay male, I cannot be in public, with the one I love, in the same capacity as a straight person. If a man and a woman share a kiss they are not stared at, whispered about or pointed at. Hence, I chose to move to a larger, more inclusive city not only for career purposes but for personal reasons as well.

Yes, I realize I will be lambasted for posting on this forum but I felt compelled to share my experience. Yes, a crosswalk may be insignificant to some but it is a gesture that is especially meaningful. Having grown up in Penticton, to me, this is a large step forward for the community. I think it's essential that the younger generations are meant to feel included regardless of their sexual orientation. I know if I had been I would of have been much more likely to remain in this beautiful community.

All the best, and happy debating.

5 people like this post.
persia17

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby JBX » Aug 27th, 2015, 9:32 pm

I never cared about their choices or anybody else for the longest time, then everybody started screaming in my face and on the internet that we should care and accept them, I already had, but somehow that's not enough, I need to let them paint the town like a rainbow, have special parades, constantly have a huge showing and demonstration where we are all suppose to fall over ourselves with glee expressing how much we support them.

So yea, I resent that society now has to pander to a SINGLE group that frankly should just melt away and do whatever they enjoy like the uncountable other subgroups within society that function outside of the "normal", and even that, what is "normal" anyways these days.

I don't give a flipped cat over what lifestyle they live what @#[email protected]#$GWSRAFGRR group they belong too and who/what they share their bed with. Personally or Professionally. I've got a million other things more important then wasting my time trying to "pass judgement" on peoples life choices.

If you constantly have to shout about how much pride you have it's probably not true.

Live your life, stop crying about the bigots that hate you because, protip, we ALL are hated by somebody or some group, just let them rant on and expose their ignorance so the rest of us can have a good laugh at their expense, they are a dying breed anyways, thankfully.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Terris likes this post.
JBX
Fledgling

Liked in: 234 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan