Penticton embraces rainbows too?

Re: Penticton embraces rainbows too?

Postby LANDM » Oct 13th, 2015, 9:21 pm

twobits wrote:The topic here is rainbow crosswalks. To me the fundamentals here are not whether one is pro rights, homophobic, red neck or otherwise. We can embrace whatever makes us feel warm and fuzzy but the bottom line is... what is appropriate about the expenditure of public funds that is specific to a certain group? It matters not if it is one dollar or ten thousand dollars, the use of public funds such as the case here is totally inappropriate no matter what your view on gays or lesbians might be. You are missing the point if you believe in non sectarian governance where everyone is considered equal despite their personal beliefs.
This gesture of rainbow crosswalks, no matter how well meaning they are in concept, is a serious deviation in our fundamental principal of non sectarian governance.
Why do we need these crosswalks? What other group is next in demanding taxpayer recognition of their "distinction"? Vegan's? Peta's?
It is simply not the place of taxpayer funded governance to support one group over another when all groups are equal taxpayers. It is no different than refusing to fly a pro choice flag or a rainbow flag at City Hall. That is what makes us all equal. And how it should be.

Most of what you say is very correct. Except for the implication that this is a unique situation and there are no other government costs incurred by other groups.

However, since various levels of government already support, financially and otherwise, various cultural, religious, ethnic etc. groups, I don't oppose something for this group if they go to the effort to solicit such support. In other words, this is not the straw that breaks my camel's back on government support for interest groups of any type.

Would I prefer zero spent, as you have indicated? Yes, but if there is going to be such spending/credits/exemptions, which there already are, I have no problem with the low cost of a crosswalk painting if someone thinks it is that important.

And the various points of view that are expressed on both the Kelowna and Penticton threads illustrate the differences that exist in attitudes towards the subject in general.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4428 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 14th, 2015, 1:59 pm

I get the theory behind the rainbow crosswalk, but as well intentioned as some may see it, isn't it basically an effort by the non-LGBT community to promote themselves as accepting and socially enlightened ? I mean, wouldn't treating the LGBT community with the equality they seek be the way to go ? It just seems to me that a rainbow crosswalk gives the haters a new focal point when to me the best way to sap their power is to ignore them and let them shout at the rain until their type withers away into non-existence, another victim of social evolution.

And, as has been mentioned, using public funds in support of special interest groups is an area of very thin ice. It opens a real expensive can of worms at a time when money is not in a particularly huge supply.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

3 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4414 posts

Postby jamapple » Oct 15th, 2015, 4:47 pm

See how these lovely rainbow crosswalks bring us all so much closer together? I must say, between this thread, and the Kelowna one, we are all far worse off then before these crosswalks came to light.

twobits likes this post.
jamapple
Übergod

Liked in: 1267 posts

Postby Corneliousrooster » Oct 16th, 2015, 7:38 am

It is just the very vocal minority that can't seem to cope with life alongside the existence of a colorful sidewalk that are giving the illusion of a deep divide. The other 99.99% of the population is carrying on just fine. People still cross the street safely, no one is getting mowed down and bigots that couldn't be considered inclusive in the first place are still yelping about people they would never attempt to accept and understand.

And life goes on.......

LANDM likes this post.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 239 posts

Postby Fancy » Oct 19th, 2015, 8:22 am

Where would be the best place for a rainbow crosswalk in Penticton? Kelowna's is at a four way stop that can be avoided travelling around downtown.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7704 posts

Postby persia17 » Oct 19th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Penticton has never been and will never be an inclusive spot for any member of the LGBT community. Why do you think I moved away? I have never felt so judged as I did when I lived there (and I'm not even a stereotypical 'flaming' homosexual). If you're going to whine about a rainbow crosswalk then you better complain about all the Christmas decorations the city puts up.
persia17

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby mrmagoo » Oct 19th, 2015, 6:40 pm

Penticton has a vocal small-minded crowd. To the point that a rainbow crosswalk stirs up this kind of reaction. It is disappointing. To me it indicates how much we need a few rainbow crosswalks.

As an aside, it is interesting to see the east coast liberal party landslide so far. I attribute this to the attempt of the conservatives to appeal to the red neck vote that castigates Muslims. The move to ban "barbaric cultural practices" (which are already criminalized) and set up a "hotline" just backfired. Reminded my Swiss friend of Nazi Germany... sad that our image in the world is being downgraded like this.

And sad that when someone who is gay posts here and tells his real life experience of growing up in Penticton - and moving away partly because of what it was like - that it gets dismissed. Penticton is a beautiful place - on the outside.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Liked in: 91 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 19th, 2015, 6:43 pm

persia17 wrote:Penticton has never been and will never be an inclusive spot for any member of the LGBT community. Why do you think I moved away? I have never felt so judged as I did when I lived there (and I'm not even a stereotypical 'flaming' homosexual). If you're going to whine about a rainbow crosswalk then you better complain about all the Christmas decorations the city puts up.

Besides SF, what communities are there that are absolutely inclusive of the LGBT community? I clearly see drama here on your part. I know, and am friends with a number of people from our local LGBT community and they function just fine here. They are happy people. They know they won't change the local world, and they don't want to. They associate with people both in their community and hetero's that don't have issues. They ignore the rest. You, and others need to grow up and stop making yourselves victims. Embrace your sexuality and associate with people who don't care. There are thousands of us right here in Penticton. Rainbow crosswalks are not going to change any redneck minds. If anything these crosswalks have provided a focal point for them to rally behind. And in one way, that is why I am against them as well.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

jamapple likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Postby mrmagoo » Oct 19th, 2015, 7:10 pm

twobits wrote:
I clearly see drama here on your part. I know, and am friends with a number of people from our local LGBT community and they function just fine here. They are happy people. They know they won't change the local world, and they don't want to. They associate with people both in their community and hetero's that don't have issues. They ignore the rest. You, and others need to grow up and stop making yourselves victims. Embrace your sexuality and associate with people who don't care. There are thousands of us right here in Penticton. Rainbow crosswalks are not going to change any redneck minds. If anything these crosswalks have provided a focal point for them to rally behind. And in one way, that is why I am against them as well.

I've lived in Victoria and Vancouver. Never noticed an issue. I do in Penticton. Sweeping racism and homophobia into the closet and telling people to "deal" doesn't help. It hurts. It allows people to maintain attitudes that are discriminatory by believing that they don't have to change because it is up to the marginalized to hide their differences.

"Beliefs can't be turned on and off with a switch. But they can change over time, to the point that a rainbow is seen as a celebration, not a threat."

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local ... -1.1976341

LANDM likes this post.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Postby LANDM » Oct 20th, 2015, 2:17 pm

Simply labelling something as true doesn't make it so.

But, luckily for those that this matters to, most other people have evolved in their point of view so that the "sins" of their neighbours aren't such a concern to them. Who someone chooses to love or marry isn't of concern to me and if it is of enormous concern to you, that is your problem.

So, thump away all you want. Our society has changed and your views are no longer acceptable to all. Your truths are yours and don't try and ascribe them to all others. Your phobias are your own and not everyone shares them.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4428 posts

Postby george~ » Oct 30th, 2015, 5:30 pm

Honestly I'm not sure what actual good comes from a rainbow on the street, how would that help gay people with their everyday struggles they encounter in life, would it not be better if gay people just painted themselves ?

2 people like this post.
george~

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby the truth » Oct 30th, 2015, 6:20 pm

george~ wrote:Honestly I'm not sure what actual good comes from a rainbow on the street, how would that help gay people with their everyday struggles they encounter in life, would it not be better if gay people just painted themselves ?

great question
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7848 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 30th, 2015, 9:45 pm

george~ wrote:Honestly I'm not sure what actual good comes from a rainbow on the street, how would that help gay people with their everyday struggles they encounter in life, would it not be better if gay people just painted themselves ?

For a first time post.....I gotta say you cut through the political correctness *bleep* and nailed it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Postby mrmagoo » Oct 31st, 2015, 2:25 am

Towns much smaller than Penticton seem to be able to understand it. http://www.interior-news.com/ourtown/327758481.html
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Postby fluffy » Oct 31st, 2015, 10:51 am

I'm still not sold on the concept. I can't get away from the idea that promoting social equality by way of special treatment is at its roots a poorly thought-out strategy. As more and more communities adopt the rainbow sidewalk as a display of openness and acceptance will there come a point where not having one will mean just the opposite ? In the past few decades I have watched the LGBT community go from what was widely considered as a deviant splinter group to a level of social acceptance that has to date, been unprecedented. The situation is correcting itself through the natural order of things as the source of the prejudice goes the way of the racist. I'm not so naive as to think it will ever be completely eradicated but like the racist, they will learn to keep their mouths shut and with their silence the spread of the problem is reduced . "In-your-face" tactics like gay parades and yes, rainbow sidewalks tend to inflame those they seek to educate.

I don't need to stand up and tell the world that a person's sexual orientation means little to me, it's enough for me that that's the way it is.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4414 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan