Penticton embraces rainbows too?

mrmagoo
Fledgling

Re: Penticton embraces rainbows too?

Post by mrmagoo »

Rainbow crosswalks are not a safety hazard. Many cities are doing alternate crosswalk designs - not just rainbow ones. Victoria has a sunflower crosswalk: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3227978. These crosswalks have been subject to engineering approval as compliant with by-laws.

City Councils are mandated to promote equality and diversity and they have broad permissive powers under the Community Charter to meet the needs of their community. Addressing social inequities to ensure the inclusion of all residents is something a quorum of Council can choose to do with a rainbow crosswalk without a survey. The limitation is that municipal decisions must not be based on fraud, oppression or improper motive (ie. personal gain).

As far as effectiveness of the crosswalks, at the very least they have taken some of the covers off the heterosexism in our community. If a small and relatively inexpensive rainbow crosswalk stirs up so much opposition my view is that those that oppose it on "fiscal" or "logical" or "lack of council authority to act" or "safety" or "my gay friend doesn't care" grounds are not taking the time to look into what diversity and inclusion means and the impact a lack of it is having on our ability to create a welcoming, vibrant and inclusive community here.

I look forward to the day that rainbow crosswalks won't be needed because our community is inclusive and respects differences. Nowhere near that time yet in Penticton. We are just slightly past the Jim Crow days where gay marriage was illegal, and into the time where the majority is still wilfully blind as to the pervasive effects of this type of discrimination on the culture of our community and the ability of many LGBTQ to live here and feel accepted.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

twobits wrote:My position is that it is a waste of taxpayer dollars and is actually counter intuitive as a show of inclusion when by the very act of painting these lines, we identify a group with well meaning intentions that really didn't need any help to begin with in acceptance by reasoned and forward thinking people.

Of all the wasted taxpayer dollar battles to be waged - this verbal battle you are waging seems to be grasping to save a few peanuts in the coffers of city hall. There are bigger battles more worthy of fighting for the taxpayers dollars.

30 years ago - not a chance there would be a rainbow anything on anything in public spaces. This is a testament to the evolution of a society - let the bigots and homophobes whine, instead of shining a light on individuals of a different sexual persuasion it shines a light on those individuals harboring hate. The tables have turned in society is what the crosswalk symbolizes and is a message to be embraced by all sexual persuasions (not just gay).
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Although I don't think the rainbow crosswalk is a big deal in the grand scheme of things, I dig your post Rooster.

I'm not in support of rainbow crosswalks, but in terms of money spent I'm more indifferent than outraged. But I am most persuaded by Rooster's post (thanks).

Giving myself a head shake.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
Of all the wasted taxpayer dollar battles to be waged - this verbal battle you are waging seems to be grasping to save a few peanuts in the coffers of city hall. There are bigger battles more worthy of fighting for the taxpayers dollars.

Verbal battle? I hadn't participated for a number of pages. And perhaps 3500 for a single four lane cross walk is peanuts to you. It's not to this squirrel. Smart managers know that there are a hundred 35hun budget line items for every 350k budget line. What differentiates a smart squirrel from a dumb squirrel is the dumb squirrel thinks a few peanuts lost here and there are inconsequential while the smart squirrel realizes these peanuts quickly add up to a plush and cozy nest for the whole squirrel family.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

twobits wrote: What differentiates a smart squirrel from a dumb squirrel is the dumb squirrel thinks a few peanuts lost here and there are inconsequential while the smart squirrel realizes these peanuts quickly add up to a plush and cozy nest for the whole squirrel family.

To use your analogy - a smart squirrel is probably Ok losing a few peanuts when they are trying to get to the Macadamia's

On the grand scheme of politics, municipal services, social benefits, tax dollars, changing the mindsets of those who don't embrace change of any kind - all of this belongs in the pile of peanuts.

The cross walk is symbolic - it is not symbolic for YOU ( I think we all heard you loud and clear)- get over yourself and your peanuts. Quite simply put, you don't like it and you will continue to argue your peanuts in hopes of ????? It means something for others and it taps into about .0000001% of the municipal tax funds.

Maybe after the winter when the road lines need to be repainted (like they do every year) it will go back to white and the world will continue to rotate and probably not even notice - or maybe they will freshen up the colors (and the world will continue to rotate). Its all peanuts.

For the most part I find you to be a very intelligent poster and I respect your opinions and insight. This topic..... a waste of your peanuts.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

And perhaps 3500 for a single four lane cross walk is peanuts to you. It's not to this squirrel. Smart managers know that there are a hundred 35hun budget line items for every 350k budget line.

Hmm, yeah - okay, but in the Olympic sized pool of slippery municipal expenditures, one does have to wonder why this particular tile is such a splash.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...

Return to “South Okanagan”