Boonstock

Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Boonstock

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Gixxer wrote: . . .

I would guess its at least 80% of the people there are on some kind of drug, and thats about 12000 people

Gixxer, with all those people on drugs, have you ever noticed a mass feeling of empathy for one another among festival attendees?

(That is, setting aside what I recall of Lynne Tolocka's death as perhaps being exceptional as a festival goer: viewtopic.php?f=110&t=64131&start=105#p2006153)
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Pat-Taporter wrote:

Gixxer, with all those people on drugs, have you ever noticed a mass feeling of empathy for one another among festival attendees?

(That is, setting aside what I recall of Lynne Tolocka's death as perhaps being exceptional as a festival goer: viewtopic.php?f=110&t=64131&start=105#p2006153)

Im probably high (no pun intended) on my estimate of people on drugs there but I would say its at least 50-60% A lot of them are of the psychedelic kind.

The festival is very positive, everyone is very friendly and willing to help each other. If they see someone in distress they will take the time to ask if they're ok and if they need help they know where to go. Security is trained to help, instead of kicking someone out that is too messed up.

In 10 years of attending I've never seen one fight, physical altercation, or security remove someone by force.

Alcohol fueled music festivals like the original "Merritt Mountain Music Fest" was complete chaos especially in camp ground c. Fights all the time, and people blacked out drunk acting like complete imbeciles. It reminded me of scenes from the movie "Gangs of New York"
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Thanks, so, also setting drugs aside (as well as alcohol) do you think these festivals may, in themselves, be an great venue for promoting mass empathy?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Pat-Taporter wrote:Thanks, so, also setting drugs aside (as well as alcohol) do you think these festivals may, in themselves, be an great venue for promoting mass empathy?

Depends on the individual.

Promoting mass empathy, thats a loaded question in itself.

I have a feeling you want to turn this into a discussion about religion, or why the need to take any drugs at all.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Gixxer wrote:Depends on the individual.

That's the big question isn't it? Are the individuals attending from a music appreciation point of view, or is the music merely a backdrop for a party?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Music Festival & the drug/drugs of individuals choice go hand in hand, each person can choose to participate or not.

know your limits, play within it (not only for gambling)

Depending on individuals drug of choice, they may or may not be breaking the law of the Province or State. If so don't be surprised if you are arrested & charged. Hey, have fun right
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Hi Gixxer,

I’m sorry, I should have said this earlier: My aim isn’t personal towards you, or towards anything about religion. I’m just trying to pick your brain because you seem to have volunteered that you have a great deal of experience, which I don’t have, as far as simply, regularly attending a huge festival where a large number of people may be using MDMA. I hope you’ll accept that.

And I’ll try again.

Setting the drugs aside (as well as any alcohol) do you think these festivals may, in themselves, be a great venue for stimulating mass empathy among the attendees?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Pat-Taporter wrote:Setting the drugs aside (as well as any alcohol) do you think these festivals may, in themselves, be a great venue for stimulating mass empathy among the attendees?

There is an energy inherent in almost any large gathering of like minded people with a shared focus, an increased sense of community if you will. MDMA is popular in these cases as it enhances just those feelings, along with an increased desire for physical closeness which is why dancing is generally a huge part.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Thanks.

It's just that I see where these festivals can be beneficial to society, and where MDMA has the potential to be beneficial as well.
Last edited by Pat-Taporter on Apr 16th, 2016, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Pat-Taporter wrote:LOL, somewhat leaping ahead of me if Gixxer or anyone else has witnessed this as someone who has experienced being in a large festival.

Still wanting to set aside the drugs and alcohol, though.

I really can't answer that question because I've only been to music festivals (not just shambhala) where drugs and alcohol are present.

I still get the feeling your trying to bring religion and god into this. If a music festival was a 100% substance free it would probably be in a religious or youth group setting.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Sorry we seem to have been posting at the same time

Bump

Pat-Taporter wrote:Thanks.

It's just that I see where these festivals can be beneficial to society, and where MDMA has the potential to be beneficial as well.

Nothing to do with religion and everything to do with what I think people need to help us rejuvenate as a society.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Pat-Taporter wrote:Thanks.

MDMA is a slippery slope, if used responsibly it can be a wonderful experience, if abused watch out for suicide Tuesday's.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Pat-Taporter wrote: . . . where MDMA has the potential to be beneficial as well.

But if employed properly, MDMA can enhance and actually extend the following effects:

Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience

MDMA Enhances Emotional Empathy and Prosocial Behavior

Cédric M. Hysek; Yasmin Schmid; Linda D. Simmler; Gregor Domes; Markus Heinrichs; Christoph Eisenegger; Katrin H. Preller; Boris B. Quednow; Matthias E. Liechti
Disclosures
Soc Cogn Affect Neurosci. 2014;9(11):1645-1652.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/835127

LOL, but of course, that study might just be an opinion—not based on fact.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

So we have gone from "How to prevent future deaths at music festivals" to discussing the benefits of MDMA - sure makes a lot of sense to me - NOT!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

southy wrote:So we have gone from "How to prevent future deaths at music festivals" to discussing the benefits of MDMA - sure makes a lot of sense to me - NOT!

Thats fine.

Return to “South Okanagan”