Human chain around park.

JBX
Fledgling

Human chain around park.

Post by JBX »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/148650/Human-chain-around-park#comments

So it's no secret I'm pretty much instantly against the "no" or "grave yard gangs" attempts to turn this town into a silent tomb, but, you have to admit this story is pretty funny.

This is the kind of thing you would expect environmentalists to do in order to protect trees, really, all that have left at this point is to tie themselves to the trees and lay on the ground when the machinery arrives lol.

However the simple fact remains the vast majority Of these protesters are past their working age and frankly, I don't think they should be determining what the future of the city is.

Bob Webbs post on the news page sums it up excellently.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
ToddT
Übergod

Re: Human chain around park.

Post by ToddT »

Hmm. Makes you think it probably should have gone to referendum considering the court costs that are coming.
Peachykeen

Post by Peachykeen »

Vast majority past their working age? Hmmmm.....I was there and was impressed by the number of younger people who were there and were concerned about the loss of the park to a profit-making venture. Maybe JBX should have taken his/her blinders off.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Isn't it odd. You don't see any groups gathering IN SUPPORT of the water slides. Only a few (very few) letters in favor of the slides. A referendum would be cheaper for everyone in the long run.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

I have to say I am amazed at the support against it. I don't recall anything like this before, but I have only been here for three years.

At this point I think it should goto the polls, and I think they need to open the records, I've read the thread about it here and a lot of people don't seem to have all the facts, and in fact it seems like some of them are just discovering them, such as when the old tenants were told they were getting evicted, and options they had, but that's for another thread.

Lets hear all the pro's and cons, I want to see the full business plan, moneys invested, expected revenue and failure plans, I will NOT be amused if the thing tanks the we have nothing left there but a rotting waterslide, there needs to be a restoration plan, this isn't some industrial block or something its prime waterfront.

Let people hear it all, vote on it, and that's that, issue is over, if they lose they lose deal with it.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Go to the polls with what?

Trio hasn't even finished their proposal, and these people are trying to shout them down without ever having bothered to hear them out.

Precedents for leasing portions of parkland already exist. Loco Landing's footprint is much larger than the waterslides portion of the current proposal. Nobody said boo when the boat trailer parking lot was expanded into the green space at Skaha Lake Park. Why the hue and cry now?

The "no" side easily garnered support for their petition because there's no way to hold them accountable for misrepresenting the facts. This human chain was just another inaccurate representation of what has been proposed at this early stage. The protesters get all the press they want for their misrepresentations, and still no one holds them to account.

So, who wants the taxpayers of Penticton to foot the bill for a petition so these people who refuse to listen, who cannot get their facts straight, and who cannot be held accountable for their actions, get to decide what happens in this community and what doesn't? And who wants to spend a whack of their energy mounting a "just let the city council govern" side to counteract this protest nonsense? Who wants to engage in a protracted bickering session with their neighbours over what is truly nothing more than a difference of opinion?

Wouldn't we all rather be doing something productive and positive with our time?

This kind of nonsense is hard on our community. Encouraging more of it is not the answer.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

ToddT wrote:Hmm. Makes you think it probably should have gone to referendum considering the court costs that are coming.

Looks like they didn't learn much the last time they took our elected representatives to court for doing what they were elected to do. Good thing that one didn't go to referendum and instead got heard by a judge, someone who did have to consider facts and would have been held accountable if he didn't.

But this time, according to the news, they're suing Trio too.

And my guess is that by suing Trio, they'll have shut down this project and made it a whole lot tougher for the city to generate any interest in renewing the area.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Well based on today's news it looks like it will be a long time before anything happens. Just leave the land alone, it's not worth the fight! :) A restaurant would be nice though.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... a845f.html
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

PIB Chief Jonathan Kruger said he supports the expanded marina and restaurant but has concerns about the waterpark because it could go over top of a burial site.

"The place down there (Skaha Park) was part of our timber claim. A long time ago that was part of our reserve lands," Kruger said in an interview with The Herald.

"Our Syilx people used to live there. If you look at old city maps from 1910 and 1911, it was always reserve land, right up to where Dairy Queen on Carmi Avenue is today. It used to be a swamp back then, our people lived close to the water. We actually got moved over towards the Western part (of the Valley). We definitely need to be included, it has to be a consent-based thing."

Council was previously warned of this possibility.

Isn't that interesting.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

While these protesters are at it, why don't they simply erect a sign on the hwy that says, 'Now that I live here tourists are not welcome'.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Poindexter wrote:While these protesters are at it, why don't they simply erect a sign on the hwy that says, 'Now that I live here tourists are not welcome'.

Because that doesn't make sense. Tourists are welcome obviously or we wouldn't have so many tourist attractions like Skaha Park.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Ah Penticton..., where busy bodies go to die.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

The rhetoric is amazing. The pro-sliders try to act civilized and professional until things look like they may not go their way. Then they become the same poor attitude as the con-sliders.

Hassel99 wrote:Ah Penticton..., where busy bodies go to die.

Like really? We're talking about frikkin' waterslides here.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

rustled wrote: Looks like they didn't learn much the last time they took our elected representatives to court for doing what they were elected to do. Good thing that one didn't go to referendum and instead got heard by a judge, someone who did have to consider facts and would have been held accountable if he didn't.

What is the "last time" you speak of?

I'll assume for a minute. If it is something different, please elaborate.

If it's the Elvena Slump one, that one still did end up costing the City a butt load to defend.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Ah..you gotta love this one. The Natives will definitely put the Kybosh on this project (waterslides, only). Trio and the City would be wise just to back off right now.

"PIB Chief Jonathan Kruger said he supports the expanded marina and restaurant but has concerns about the waterpark because it could go over top of a burial site."

I get pretty upset when the YES side tries to portray the NO side as being against progress or being only seniors. VERY few of us/them are against the slides. Build them. Just not when it means losing that portion of a publicly owned Park.

Perhaps the Natives will now offer Trio a better deal for putting the slide over on the West side. Hey, could be a win-win for everyone!

Return to “South Okanagan”