New Garbage Bins

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

New Garbage Bins

Post by JagXKR »

Sorry if this is not about Skaha Park.

My only problem with this is the possible increase in animal incursions into the bins that will be left outside due to their size. Hopefully they will be fairly securable but not much will stop a bear.
I know this will work well for me but there may be problems for others. My residence and my immediate neighbors have properties that are conducive for 3 bins but others may have issues. I think Castanet should get on this as it does effect more people than the park issue.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: New Garbage Bins

Post by Fancy »

These carts have been around for years in other areas.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Us Kelowna folk use them already.

You should not leave them outside anyway - like any bin - take them to curb the morning of pick up.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I'll add if this is your biggest issue in life you are doing well - so suck it up!!
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I sort of welcome the new bins plan but I do have to wonder what will become of the thousands of old garbage cans that presently are in use here. I know that the transition has happened in other cities so there must be a way to get rid of your present cans without just dumping them. Imagine the metal cans could be recycled; maybe even the plastic ones? Hope so.

The only other problem that I see is that one large bin may not be nearly big enough to accommodate yard waste. So many folks buy and use those large paper bags for leaves, grass, etc. Wonder if those will still be allowed or will we be limited to just the one bin. Not everyone has a truck that can haul stuff to the landfill (compostable material is free to take there, up to a certain limit).

I can definitely see the injuries that can occur from lifting too heavy cans though; so don't blame them at all for wanting to go this route.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

gman313 wrote:Us Kelowna folk use them already.

You should not leave them outside anyway - like any bin - take them to curb the morning of pick up.

Hey gman where should everybody keep them? In the living room?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A garage if you have one.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

exactly my point.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Well, you certainly don't leave the bins at the curb. All garbage should be secured from wildlife to start with.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ToddT wrote:Hey gman where should everybody keep them? In the living room?
Where do you keep your current garbage can im guessing the new one will fit in the exact same spot
Last edited by ferri on Oct 5th, 2015, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We adapted pretty quickly to the new system, no prob.

The old garbage cans became storage, or overflow for compost material. One became a rainbarrel for rain pouring off the shed. I use that water for wetting down compost piles which have gone dry or watering the Smoke trees. One garbage can was good for storing long handled stuff.

No shortage of ideas around here.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Queen K wrote:We adapted pretty quickly to the new system, no prob.

The old garbage cans became storage, or overflow for compost material. One became a rainbarrel for rain pouring off the shed. I use that water for wetting down compost piles which have gone dry or watering the Smoke trees. One garbage can was good for storing long handled stuff.

No shortage of ideas around here.

So did they just leave these old cans for homeowners to deal with or was there an option to keep and re purpose? Something doesn't sound right here? Surely to god there must have been some pick up arrangements for the old bins? If not, it sure makes a mockery of the Districts recycling plan lol.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Why would they pick up the old bins? they are owned by the home owner. You say "deal with" as if it's a problem or even a minor ......hassle
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ya, um, what doesn't sound right? My old g. cans were bought and paid for by moi. Who's the "they"?

Nothing wrong with re-purposing old stuff. I might try growing potatoes in one of them next year.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

My cans will fit inside the new ones hopefully lol.

Return to “South Okanagan”