Bridge / lights to nowhere

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Bridge / lights to nowhere

Post by JagXKR »

Ok just a few math corrections needed. 10% of 60 hectares is 6 hectares which is 14.8 acres. This is a huge number and cannot be correct. I know of no dealership that big and the even Auto Mall in Calgary, with numerous dealerships, is just over twice this size.

Using Google Maps distance/area measuring tool I get these approximations for Penticton dealerships.
Toyota 0.9 ha
Chrysler 1.1ha
Honda 1.05ha
Hyundai 0.5ha
Ford 1.6ha
Chevrolet 1.2ha

Very approximate but as you can see all these dealers together are just over 6 ha. The Nissan dealership would be the biggest even at 2ha which is 1/30th the area that this land occupies. Or at least what some say it occupies.
The interesting fact is that there is not 60 hectares of land there. There is 60 acres. Seems there needs to be some people needing some remedial math lessons.
The master plan for the whole area has much more land it could develop to add up to 60ha, but the area served by the bridge does not.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

JagXKR wrote:Ok just a few math corrections needed. 10% of 60 hectares is 6 hectares which is 14.8 acres. This is a huge number and cannot be correct. I know of no dealership that big and the even Auto Mall in Calgary, with numerous dealerships, is just over twice this size.

Using Google Maps distance/area measuring tool I get these approximations for Penticton dealerships.
Toyota 0.9 ha
Chrysler 1.1ha
Honda 1.05ha
Hyundai 0.5ha
Ford 1.6ha
Chevrolet 1.2ha

Very approximate but as you can see all these dealers together are just over 6 ha. The Nissan dealership would be the biggest even at 2ha which is 1/30th the area that this land occupies. Or at least what some say it occupies.
The interesting fact is that there is not 60 hectares of land there. There is 60 acres. Seems there needs to be some people needing some remedial math lessons.
The master plan for the whole area has much more land it could develop to add up to 60ha, but the area served by the bridge does not.

So who's math needs correcting.......the Herald or Chief Kruger?

The dealership is expected to cover about a tenth of the 60-hectare development, interest in which has “steadily increased” since the bridge was completed, according to Kruger.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Not sure. This is what I did. Opened Google Maps. Right clicked and then clicked "measure distance". Added points and viola. 345000 sq meters which is then divided by 10000 to get hectares. 34.5ha and that is all the land I think they can use although I don't think they will use all that i have measured.
Doubtful they would destroy the oxbows as they are keepers of the land....right?
Anyways, I am fairly confident of my math and that the real size, of either the dealership or the planned development between the channel and the airport, is being reported incorrectly. Possibly both.
I know that some people get acres and hectares mixed up and others that think they are the same. I do not have faith in the Herald's reporting accuracy so I would go with them. But if the numbers are not accurate then why wouldn't Kruger get them to correct it? Or did he get the numbers wrong?
Attachments
Area.jpg
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Satikw Crossing: 60 hectares of developable / leasable lands
Nissan Dealership: 16,000 sq ft building
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dawnland wrote:Satikw Crossing: 60 hectares of developable / leasable lands

So where did 10% of available lands come from?? That is 6 hectares and at approx 2.2 acres per hectare it's about 14 acres. Who cares if the building is only 16k sq ft. And as the previous poster queried.....why was this not corrected by PIB staff if the Nissan Dealership agreement is not for 10% of available lands? What it looks like without a correction is a marketing ploy or pump to give an illusion of fast filling property.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

squbbles

Post by squbbles »

Dawnland wrote:Satikw Crossing: 60 hectares of developable / leasable lands

Anyone know if the Nissan dealership is still planning on building? When announced, it was supposed to open "mid-2017"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

squbbles wrote:Anyone know if the Nissan dealership is still planning on building? When announced, it was supposed to open "mid-2017"

Don't hold your breath. This whole project was a cluster *bleep* based on nothing more than political correctness dressed up as economic development for FN people. All done without any end game except "build it and they will come". Taxpayers pumped in about six million for the bridge and I believe the PIB almost two million. Not sure but close.
It seems that no one did any kind of reasonable business plan that might have included current demand for this property and the fact that actual development of the roads, water lines, sewer etc from the end of the bridge was not going to happen unless there was enough lessors to provide the revenue to build the roads and infrastructure!! One car dealership is not going to cover it. And it is locatee controlled land to boot.
These lands will be developed one day, just not this day. More like a few yrs from now or maybe even ten. It was a colossal waste of taxpayer and PIB funds that would have been better spent elsewhere for more urgent and timely needs and is most probably the reason why the touted "new visionary" Chief Kruger got tossed from his position. Totally lacking in any real business skills and a Provincial Gov't trying to sit on the border of smart business investment and appeasing the social activist noise even if it makes no sense. The smart business decision would have been the Gov't guaranteeing 6 mill for the bridge contingent on securing enough lease agreements that would secure the continuation of the development. Even that is a bit of a crapshoot but better than what happened. What happened instead is the Gov't in partnership with the PIB built another Peach Tree Mall when Cherry Lane has a 10% vacancy rate.

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

If i remember from a long time ago that landmark cinemas was supposed to be there but because the project took too long they are now where they are at the old Cdn Tire site. That could have done lots for that area just like in Westbank with the Xtreme and 2 major banks at the site...with a Timmies (yuck) and Shell..

All it did was put another light through the bypass and a nice spot for the cops to set up a speed trap.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Symbonite wrote:If i remember from a long time ago that landmark cinemas was supposed to be there but because the project took too long they are now where they are at the old Cdn Tire site. That could have done lots for that area just like in Westbank with the Xtreme and 2 major banks at the site...with a Timmies (yuck) and Shell..

All it did was put another light through the bypass and a nice spot for the cops to set up a speed trap.

Landmark didn't end up there for the same reason that the Nissan dealership is not going to open mid 2017. Not enough demand for the lands to pay for the cost of roads and infrastructure from the end of the 8 million dollar bridge. It's funny how it has to make business sense to proceed comes into play when all of the free money has been used up.

Edit to add- In all fairness, I have to point out the success of the Skaha Hills Housing development. The stark difference between the two developments however were qualified business partners that had a business plan, namely Greyback Construction, instead of the Provincial Gov't.

Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Gotta agree with you Twobits.

I'm not so sure the PIB has what it takes to put together a development (residential or commercial) without an outside party to drive it. Like Skaha Hills was done.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Bunnyhop wrote:Gotta agree with you Twobits.

I'm not so sure the PIB has what it takes to put together a development (residential or commercial) without an outside party to drive it. Like Skaha Hills was done.

There is a big difference between lobbying for free Gov't money just cuz they can and lobbying for free gov't money and putting it to use with a business plan that has been thought out and vetted. It is the business plan and vetting that makes visionary leaders, not people that can suck public money out of the Gov't with no end game.

blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

twobits wrote:
Bunnyhop wrote:Gotta agree with you Twobits.

There is a big difference between lobbying for free Gov't money just cuz they can and lobbying for free gov't money and putting it to use with a business plan that has been thought out and vetted. It is the business plan and vetting that makes visionary leaders, not people that can suck public money out of the Gov't with no end game.

Drum roll please ................... Were is Grand Chief Stewart Phillips when you need him ?? :cuss: :200:
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

Drove past there today and saw a storage can and a backhoe on the property. Maybe they will be turning earth on something.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

RupertBear wrote:Drove past there today and saw a storage can and a backhoe on the property. Maybe they will be turning earth on something.

You sure that wasn't airport beach to pick up the garbage and weeds there now.

RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

twobits wrote:
RupertBear wrote:Drove past there today and saw a storage can and a backhoe on the property. Maybe they will be turning earth on something.

You sure that wasn't airport beach to pick up the garbage and weeds there now.

Nope. It was just across the Green Avenue bridge.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou

Return to “South Okanagan”