Cougar sighting in Penticton Monday

Cougar sighting in Penticton Monday

Postby BC Dave » Oct 12th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Our 15-year-old son was walking on the dog walking path at the east end of Ridgedale Avenue at about 6 pm Monday, Oct. 12 when he spotted a cougar not far from the pump station about halfway up the trail. He said the cougar stared at him for about 30 seconds and bared its teeth. Our son picked up a rock and was yelling at it. The cougar then walked along the trail a few feet and then went under the fence toward the water reservoir. Just wanted to warn anyone with small dogs or small children. Our son also spotted a mother bear and two cubs past the end of the cliff on the upper trail about four weeks ago. We reported the cougar incident to the conservation hotline and posted a couple of signs at the two entrances on each side of the pumping station.

Bunnyhop likes this post.
BC Dave

Liked in: 8 posts

Re: Cougar sighting in Penticton Monday

Postby twobits » Oct 12th, 2015, 7:18 pm

BC Dave wrote:Our 15-year-old son was walking on the dog walking path at the east end of Ridgedale Avenue at about 6 pm Monday, Oct. 12 when he spotted a cougar not far from the pump station about halfway up the trail. He said the cougar stared at him for about 30 seconds and bared its teeth. Our son picked up a rock and was yelling at it. The cougar then walked along the trail a few feet and then went under the fence toward the water reservoir. Just wanted to warn anyone with small dogs or small children. Our son also spotted a mother bear and two cubs past the end of the cliff on the upper trail about four weeks ago. We reported the cougar incident to the conservation hotline and posted a couple of signs at the two entrances on each side of the pumping station.

You are living on the corridor of the Penticton Creek Canyon. It is a natural path for predators to follow. Just be very careful and thanks for your observations and warning. IMO, you (your 15 yo son) should alter dog walks for the near future. Continuing the same routine would be like swimming with a shark with a fish on a leash. Either one could be taken in an instant and Cougars are instinctive and swift killers.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Postby JBX » Oct 12th, 2015, 9:24 pm

Yeah, very true, a grown man has a chance against a cougar, has happened a few times but even then its a full on fight that your not walking away from without a hospital trip. A child or a pet has zero chance.

Bears are another matter, your general black bear is pretty much a coward, however, if its a mama then it's like all things in nature in that respect and it will tear you apart.

Good moves on your son though, the simple fact is the animal kingdom is unlike our reality, every encounter they have has the chance of causing lethal injuries they cant recover from, any predator will examine its prey and determine, based on how hungry it is, if its worth the hassle. So be a hassle.

Bout the only animals this doesn't work with is true apex predators like tigers and grizzly bears, there, your at their mercy.

I'm not one to tell somebody to arm their children, but I will tell you ever time I go for mountain bike ride or a walk that is out of the "city density" of Kaleden or Penticton I carry a set of two knives if the worst should happen and I have no exit. I only have had two encounters where I pulled them and honestly thought I was in trouble, both cougars and both times the cat backed off. It was also off the beaten path both times, sometime I now don't do as often lol.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Bunnyhop likes this post.
JBX
Fledgling

Liked in: 234 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 13th, 2015, 7:31 am

Thanks for the heads up. If you are on Facebook, could you send a note or post the encounter on the WildsafeBC RDOS page?

I think most everyone by now realizes that wildlife encounters near or in the city are going to happen. Cougar and bear are just trying to make a living and the number of urban deer are drawing them in to an easy meal. Until the urban deer problem is seriously addressed, we are going to see more and more of these encounters.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 562 posts

Return to South Okanagan