Penticton and Virtual Workers

Postby Pat101 » Oct 25th, 2015, 3:30 pm

http://www.penticton.ca/EN/main/community/moving-to-penticton/virtual-work-in-penticton.html

I’m an established virtual worker.
I'm just visiting here but who wouldn't want to live in the Okanagan?
Back home I rent and work out of an apartment with no present potential for buying.
Looking at the information from Penticton city hall, the amenities for virtual workers seem to be similar to what I’m experiencing where I live.
So I’m wondering, besides city hall wecoming me, what else might I be welcomed to in Penticton—good and bad?
I’m looking for opinions that might not be as biased as what comes from city hall.
Thanks,
Pat
Pat101

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Penticton and Virtual Workers

Postby Tony » Oct 26th, 2015, 6:53 am

Just a curiosity question for you...

If you're already a virtual worker, doesn't that mean you could live anywhere? You wouldn't have to give up your current virtual job to move here. Isn't that the advantage of being a virtual worker?

Penticton is a beautiful place to live, but I'm not sure how many virtual jobs are in a town this size.

Pat101 likes this post.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 425 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 26th, 2015, 7:47 am

Tony wrote:Penticton is a beautiful place to live, but I'm not sure how many virtual jobs are in a town this size.

The jobs are from anywhere...that's why they are called virtual.

We have a friend who moved here from Nova Scotia who's job is virtual and she still does it.

There is no limit on the number of virtual jobs.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

Pat101 likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13230 posts

Postby Pat101 » Oct 26th, 2015, 7:57 am

I would be bringing my job with me.
Pat101

Postby Donald G » Oct 26th, 2015, 8:12 am

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is a virtual worker ??
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4225 posts

Postby jccamp95 » Oct 26th, 2015, 8:15 am

Donald G wrote:Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is a virtual worker ??

can also be called a Telecommuter. An employee who works some are all of their job from home.

2 people like this post.
jccamp95

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby jccamp95 » Oct 26th, 2015, 8:22 am

being a former telecommuter in Penticton, I will give you my thoughts.

Pros
Small town atmosphere
mild winters
great wines
golf year round
and more outdoors stuff to do then you can shake a stick at

Cons
Small town atmosphere. Coming here from Calgary took a bit to get used to. I remember my first week here years ago, I had to go to the bank on a monday....it was closed! LOL
You have to go to Kelowna / West Kelowna for certain shopping - e.g., Costco, Home Depot, etc. Not that big of a deal the drive is 45 minutes-ish and is beautiful.
65% of the population is 65 years of age or older, (honestly don't know for sure but you can make up stats for anything). I remember people saying to me that Penticton is for the Newly Wed or the Nearly Dead....they were not that far off!

My biggest Con is, I recently lost my job. Now coming from a Large Company in a Major city my monthly pay was very good. Finding a job in the Valley with similar pay is proving extremely challenging. So be prepared, if you do happen to lose your job, that finding work could prove difficult without having to move or take a pay cut.

But in all honestly, making the move to the Valley has been one of the best decisions my family has ever made!

Pat101 likes this post.
jccamp95

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby mrmagoo » Oct 26th, 2015, 8:57 am

I'm a virtual worker.

The positives of Penticton are pretty evident in the non-existent commute to anything local, natural beauty, affordable house prices relative to the Coast, wineries and agriculture in general, and weather - except winter if you don't ski.

The cons are lack of culture/arts and fewer folks with higher education/intellectual aspirations - they leave. There are a lot of retired people and retirement homes and you'll find less tolerance for differences than in a larger centre - somewhat dramatically so. Head over to the debate about rainbow crosswalks for an idea of what you'd face. This may or may not be an issue for you. Walk into a Tim Horton's in the winter and you'll get an idea of the core of the community.

I have to say that the culture part is evolving somewhat with the winery-type industries. I wish Penticton was slightly bigger and had a university so that there was a more vibrant/younger community here all year long. That said, with internet access the world is pretty big wherever you are.

Pat101 likes this post.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Liked in: 91 posts

Postby Pat101 » Oct 26th, 2015, 10:39 am

Great! Thanks for your time and the inside scoop.
Pat101

Postby Captain Awesome » Oct 26th, 2015, 11:21 am

I've hired virtual assistants on few occasions to do some very boring and repetitive tasks (formating a large text file and data entry). Hired them on eLance through bidding. One guy was local, others were from Asia and Middle East. Quality wise it wasn't different, but price wise VA's from Asia are much cheaper.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3123 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Oct 26th, 2015, 11:54 am

I rented a car in the USA a few weeks ago and Hertz had Virtual terminals where you picked up a phone and basically "skyped" with the attendant on a machine that looked similar to an ATM with a screen. When catting was done they printed out your contract and you gave it do the guy with the cars and off you go. I asked if they were all in some huge call center in Texas or something and the guy told me, Nope, working from home.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3416 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Oct 26th, 2015, 12:47 pm

At this stage of my life I'm currently a virtual non-worker and I find it real easy to keep busy here.

The positives of Penticton are pretty evident in the non-existent commute to anything local, natural beauty, affordable house prices relative to the Coast, wineries and agriculture in general, and weather - except winter if you don't ski.

The cons are lack of culture/arts and fewer folks with higher education/intellectual aspirations - they leave. There are a lot of retired people and retirement homes and you'll find less tolerance for differences than in a larger centre - somewhat dramatically so. Head over to the debate about rainbow crosswalks for an idea of what you'd face. This may or may not be an issue for you. Walk into a Tim Horton's in the winter and you'll get an idea of the core of the community.

I have to say that the culture part is evolving somewhat with the winery-type industries. I wish Penticton was slightly bigger and had a university so that there was a more vibrant/younger community here all year long. That said, with internet access the world is pretty big wherever you are.

I agree with most of what Magoo said in his post (and that doesn't happen everyday) except, I'd say I'm quite content with the cultural sub-set I've found, and it's not dependent on the wine industry. I've found a community that is supportive, creative and tolerant, but I didn't find it in Tim Hortins, or Mc D's.

Some of things that I've noticed coming from a larger center:
- Diversity is often met with some adversity. It's usually polite enough, but...
- Power is clean and reliable, but it does have its moments and "Monster" surge protectors are more of a must have, than in larger centers. (even with the monsters I lost a monitor and a few other electronics during last years weird wet coast type snowstorm.)
- Traffic is a nightmare (only in the minds of people that have never left this valley)
- Change is a constant - (struggle)
- The real estate and development community have a loud voice, and a bit of a hearing problem. (IMHO)
- People generally care and look out for one another. (This community scores a solid 10/10 on engagement. (again IMHO)
- It's just as easy to connect with the rest of the world from here, as it is from anywhere else. The interweb is fairly reliable and sometimes I even get most of the bandwidth that I pay for. (hardly a local issue) I raise an eyebrow every now and then at some of the routing my ISP uses, but if you're not working with a small cabal intent on taking over the world, this might not be an issue for you. I dunno.
- If you've ever enjoyed HD TV with a set of rabbit ears, you'll quickly notice the old cable system isn't delivering full HD quality.
- Oh, and you'll quickly realize not all couriers see Penticton as a major center. It's always a bit of an adventure shopping for components and I've had instances where things from New York get here quicker than things from Vancouver. The shipping lane from China to here is fairly quick, but there is one "name-brand" courier outfit that always amuses me. The next stop after Kelowna is Vancouver, and then it finds it's way back to Penticton - I suspect in a backpack on a hitchhiker.

I'm "new" and realize I will be for about another 5 or 6 years... it's ten years to shed your status as a newbie and there seems to be some sort of probationary period that could extend, or lessen, that status. (they don't really talk about it openly)

All in all, I keep encouraging my peeps to move here - they do and they seem happy with the choice.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 1232 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 26th, 2015, 7:52 pm

Drip...you are definitely still on probation to achieving local status lol. If you can't part the Red Sea....wait the 25 yrs the rest of us had to.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Return to South Okanagan