South Main and Kinney Ave Roundabout

South Main and Kinney Ave Roundabout

Postby pursang » Oct 29th, 2015, 2:01 am

Is there any updated information on this roundabout ? this is the latest information I could find, be nice to fix this intersection once and for all.

"The City has been aware of this problem for some time. It was first looked at in the 2005 Transportation Study. In 2009 an Options analysis was conducted which reviewed 9 Options and presented a recommended Options, see attached.

The recommended Option was budgeted for as part of the Engineering Department 10 year capital budget, 2010 to 2019, see attached.

The design work is scheduled to commence in 2011 with land acquisition, of which there is a significant amount needed, to occur 2012 and 2013 with construction slated for 2014.

The total cost of the project is estimated at 1,100,000 of which land acquisition accounts for $750,000.

So your concern is shared by staff, who have included it in upcoming budgets, which are always subject to council discussion and approval.

Hope this clairifies; if not please call me at (250) 486-2199 or email me at [email protected]"
pursang

Liked in: 0 post

Re: South Main and Kinney Ave Roundabout

Postby ToddT » Oct 29th, 2015, 8:28 am

I'm not sure but something needs to be done. That intersection is a nightmare and I end up going through it or avoiding it 4+ times a day. I would go as far to say, despite accident statistics, that is the worst intersection in Penticton.
ToddT
Übergod

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 29th, 2015, 5:22 pm

The absolute, hands down, worst intersection in the City. This should have been dealt with as a condition of the development of the Lougheed Center years ago. The worst thing they ever did was prevent South Main traffic from going straight thru and merging with Main St.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby ToddT » Oct 30th, 2015, 11:49 am

How would a roundabout work there? They would have to take land from the thrift store I think. Also, it would be quite awkward having to turn left when Southbound on Skaha Lake Rd.

Having a roundabout at the Skaha Lake Rd and Kinney intersection seems more practical but less desirable in my opinion. It would almost have to look like the eyesore in Summerland that intersects Prairie Valley and Victoria Rd S.

What if that small stretch of road was made one way? Either East or West?
ToddT
Übergod

Postby rustled » Oct 30th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Logically, the roundabout would use all of the land currently used by the fuel station, and provide exits to (and entry from) Skaha Lake Road, South Main, Dawson, Main, and Kinney.

We tend to think of roundabouts replacing standard 4-way intersections, but we've used several that are configured differently. For example, the two on 395 in Colville. One's actually rectangular. They both seem to work quite efficiently.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 10458 posts

Postby ToddT » Oct 30th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Logically yes, but I would suggest the city buying out Husky on land that can't be developed for a number of years to be fairly impractical.
ToddT
Übergod

Postby rustled » Oct 30th, 2015, 1:59 pm

ToddT wrote:Logically yes, but I would suggest the city buying out Husky on land that can't be developed for a number of years to be fairly impractical.

If it's to be used as the center of a roundabout, would it be subject to the same environmental assessment process? (Perhaps with the fencing left up for years and years, ugh. Your fears of an eyesore would certainly be realized!)
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 10458 posts

Postby ToddT » Oct 30th, 2015, 2:09 pm

I have no idea. Certainly some of the other ones could have been used as parking lots but weren't.
ToddT
Übergod

Postby JagXKR » Oct 30th, 2015, 11:35 pm

Husky lost $4.1 Billion so maybe they might want to get rid of some assets.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Business/1 ... -4-1B-loss
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1754 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 31st, 2015, 4:44 pm

ToddT wrote:Logically yes, but I would suggest the city buying out Husky on land that can't be developed for a number of years to be fairly impractical.

Todd, not all gas stations become brown fields by default. The ones that have, have property history's that go back many decades when fuel tanks in the ground were all steel and gasoline so cheap that losing five gallons of fuel a week thru a pin hole leak never raised any eyebrows. If you look at where our brown field sites are within Penticton, they are all very old sites. The furthest south in town I can think of is the corner of Duncan and Main. That was a Texaco gas station back in the day and the absolute border of penticton and rural. The Plaza was built in the mid 60's and everyone wondered why it was built so far out of town.
South of that we have had the Chevron car wash which has been redeveloped to Mac's/chevron, the Turbo Gas station on Main and Carmi redeveloped into super save, the Pump' n' Tub shell site is now BCAA and Buy the Sea, the Woodward's gas bar is now a liquor store and BCAA repair shop, the C Center Petro Can at Yorkton and Skaha Lake Rd is now a mini mall, and lastly....few will remember......the chevron across from Skaha Park is now 3 apartment style strata condo's. So......I don't think a roundabout on the Husky (Mowhawk to most of us) property will encounter any ground contamination issues.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby GordonH » Oct 31st, 2015, 5:20 pm

^^^ You never know twobits, here in Kelowna only now is anything being done at the old Esso lot on the corner of Burtch & Harvey. That lot been empty since late 90's
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9082 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby twobits » Oct 31st, 2015, 5:55 pm

GordonH wrote:^^^ You never know twobits, here in Kelowna only now is anything being done at the old Esso lot on the corner of Burtch & Harvey. That lot been empty since late 90's

Doesn't matter how long it has been empty.....we have a few like that here too. What is relevant is how long was that site a gas station and did it have the old steel tanks in the ground sometime in the past?

twobits
Guru

Postby GordonH » Oct 31st, 2015, 7:01 pm

twobits wrote:Doesn't matter how long it has been empty.....we have a few like that here too. What is relevant is how long was that site a gas station and did it have the old steel tanks in the ground sometime in the past?

Before anything happens they should be taking similar to core samples for testing of contamination.
Unless those steel tanks were double walled (tank within a tank). Any tanks installed since 1990 have double walled and are fiberglass.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9082 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Anonymous123 » Nov 1st, 2015, 9:38 am

That site was a gas station at least as far back as 1967. I used to go there on my bike to get lawnmower gas for my dad. 48 cents a gallon!
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1682 posts

Return to South Okanagan