Left on red in Penticton

Left on red in Penticton

Postby george~ » Nov 1st, 2015, 3:32 pm

Did you know that you can turn left at a red light if it's a one-way your turning onto ? It's perfectly legal.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
george~

Liked in: 24 posts

Re: Left on Red in Penticton.

Postby Osoyoos_Familyof4 » Nov 1st, 2015, 4:42 pm

I thought you could only turn left on red from a one-way, onto a 1-way. Meaning that you would never encounter oncoming traffic ever?

Someone who knows what/where to check can maybe clarify.

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Liked in: 499 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 1st, 2015, 4:47 pm

This is why drivers heading north on Richter at Lawrence, that are turning left onto Lawrence make me laugh, when Richter is red light.
This is in Kelowna
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9073 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby jamapple » Nov 1st, 2015, 5:02 pm

A left hand turn on your red light going onto a one way in same direction has always been law. So......you're the one sitting at the light waiting to go, when I was behind you wondering what you were doing! LOL!!
jamapple
Übergod

Liked in: 1267 posts

Postby rustled » Nov 1st, 2015, 5:13 pm

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:I thought you could only turn left on red from a one-way, onto a 1-way. Meaning that you would never encounter oncoming traffic ever?

Someone who knows what/where to check can maybe clarify.

You can turn left on red from two-way onto one-way, too. For example, if you're travelling east on Eckhardt and wish to turn left onto Main, come to a full stop on the red, check for traffic in the lane you will be turning into (the westernmost lane), and if there's none you can make your turn.

There's no oncoming traffic to cross, because the oncoming traffic is on the red.

(But be mindful of oncoming traffic turning right on the red, especially onto two-lane Martin, because people regularly neglect to turn into the correct lane.)
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 10376 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Nov 1st, 2015, 5:43 pm

It's amazing how many honks and "*bleep*" looks you get when you do this lol.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5136 posts

Postby Midnite » Nov 1st, 2015, 5:54 pm

I always felt the "Left on Red" was common knowledge but I don't believe enough drivers are aware that a solid yellow line allows for passing. The sightlines on Eastside make for plenty of legal passing opportunities .
Midnite
Fledgling

Liked in: 60 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 1st, 2015, 7:50 pm

Two other misconceptions that tick me off in traffic. First, two opposing stop signs and a thru street such as Dartmouth and Industrial. Traffic on Industrial has the right of way either going straight thru or turning. But the vehicles at the stop signs on Dartmouth, heading south or north, have a specific right of way that most drivers seem to be ignorant of. That is, straight thru traffic always has the right of way. If you are trying to make a left or right hand turn at such an intersection, the thru traffic always has the right of way. It is not four way stop sign rules where you take turns according to who got to the stop line first. If there are 10 vehicles on Dartmouth going thru the intersection straight south, a vehicle trying to turn left off of Dartmouth to go down Industrial Ave legally has to wait for all 10 vehicles going south, straight thru without turning, to pass thru the intersection.

My second tick off is left hand turns on Main St on a double yellow line. The ignorance of this rule is why Main st Penticton is so friggen grid locked so many times. You can only legally make a left hand turn accross a dbl yellow line when you will not impede any traffic behind you. Main st is pretty much dbl yellow along it's whole length from downtown to Skaha Lake rd. Where it is not dbl yellow will be a street crossing or dedicated turning lanes. What in god's green earth are people thinking when they hold up traffic for three blocks cuz they want to turn into Parker Motors or Burger King for example going north. Just using those as common examples. Go to the next legal street crossing or dedicated turning lane and double back fer christ's sake and keep traffic moving! Unnecessary lane changes are one of the biggest reasons for accidents. People ignorant of this rule are the biggest cause of lane changes and jockeying in traffic. I actually blame the RCMP for not enforcing and ticketing more people for it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:12 am

Yes - always thought this was common knowledge. You can turn left at a red light so long as it's a 1 way street you are turning on to.

The other one that tends to confuse people is dedicated left hand turn lights. Many don't seem to understand that when the left turn light is red you cannot turn left even when the light for thru-traffic is green. Not so bad now, but 10 years ago when Kelowna started putting dedicated left turn lights in we had a lot of confusion. Got honked at a few times.

Ken7 likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1439 posts

Postby Tony » Nov 3rd, 2015, 7:24 am

twobits wrote:Two other misconceptions that tick me off in traffic. First, two opposing stop signs and a thru street such as Dartmouth and Industrial. Traffic on Industrial has the right of way either going straight thru or turning. But the vehicles at the stop signs on Dartmouth, heading south or north, have a specific right of way that most drivers seem to be ignorant of. That is, straight thru traffic always has the right of way. If you are trying to make a left or right hand turn at such an intersection, the thru traffic always has the right of way. It is not four way stop sign rules where you take turns according to who got to the stop line first. If there are 10 vehicles on Dartmouth going thru the intersection straight south, a vehicle trying to turn left off of Dartmouth to go down Industrial Ave legally has to wait for all 10 vehicles going south, straight thru without turning, to pass thru the intersection.

My second tick off is left hand turns on Main St on a double yellow line. The ignorance of this rule is why Main st Penticton is so friggen grid locked so many times. You can only legally make a left hand turn accross a dbl yellow line when you will not impede any traffic behind you. Main st is pretty much dbl yellow along it's whole length from downtown to Skaha Lake rd. Where it is not dbl yellow will be a street crossing or dedicated turning lanes. What in god's green earth are people thinking when they hold up traffic for three blocks cuz they want to turn into Parker Motors or Burger King for example going north. Just using those as common examples. Go to the next legal street crossing or dedicated turning lane and double back fer christ's sake and keep traffic moving! Unnecessary lane changes are one of the biggest reasons for accidents. People ignorant of this rule are the biggest cause of lane changes and jockeying in traffic. I actually blame the RCMP for not enforcing and ticketing more people for it.

Sorry twobits - that made me laugh out loud. Gridlock????? Have you ever driven in Vancouver or Toronto. I don't believe I've ever seen gridlock in Penticton. Change lanes or wait for the 10 cars coming the other way to pass so the car can turn left.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 425 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 3rd, 2015, 6:42 pm

Tony wrote:

Sorry twobits - that made me laugh out loud. Gridlock????? Have you ever driven in Vancouver or Toronto. I don't believe I've ever seen gridlock in Penticton. Change lanes or wait for the 10 cars coming the other way to pass so the car can turn left.

Sorry Tony..... just a bit of poetic licence. It's all perspective though isn't it? In a community our size, traffic should and would flow much better if there were not people making left hand turns into businesses across the dbl yellow lines. It's just a lack of knowledge of the rules of the road.
I also think you are being a bit cavalier in suggesting we should just have the patience for the other 10 cars coming the other way before we can proceed. Time is money Tony if you make your living making appointments or deliveries on time. A cab driver won't care while you are sitting in the back seat and the meter is running but he/she will certainly care when the back seat is empty and he/she is trying to get to your house to pick you up. And beyond that, my leisure time has a value too that I would rather not expend sitting in traffic because someone else is impeding my way when they should not be. If everyone obeyed the rules we would only have traffic making left turns onto dedicated streets. Those would be the only choke points. Instead, we get these choke points potentially at every driveway entrance to a business down the entire length of Main St and Skaha Lake Rd. That is just stupid and why there is a no left turn rule on a dbl yellow rule if you will impede traffic behind you.

Edit to add- Here's a classic example that frosts my shorts every time. Travelling south on Main. Pass thru the Duncan intersection which has a dedicated left turn lane. Approach the Carmi and Main intersection which also has a dedicated left turn lane onto Carmi. What does half of Penticton's population do if they want to go into the Real Canadian Gas Bar do? Rather than use the left turn lane onto Carmi that still allows two full south bound lanes to flow smoothly and then make a quick, un impeding right turn into the gas bar, they pass the dedicated turning lane and then stop in the inside lane and signal to turn left into the south entrance to the gas bar forcing all traffic behind them into one lane thru traffic around them.....while they wait for your ten oncoming cars to pass northbound before traffic can flow as it was intended. You think that is OK Tony?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Postby Always Sunny » Nov 3rd, 2015, 7:03 pm

rustled wrote:You can turn left on red from two-way onto one-way, too. For example, if you're travelling east on Eckhardt and wish to turn left onto Main, come to a full stop on the red, check for traffic in the lane you will be turning into (the westernmost lane), and if there's none you can make your turn.

There's no oncoming traffic to cross, because the oncoming traffic is on the red.

(But be mindful of oncoming traffic turning right on the red, especially onto two-lane Martin, because people regularly neglect to turn into the correct lane.)

I can't believe people don't get that part! It's as though they think oncoming traffic will get an advanced left-turn. Of course they can't, it would be shooting them down the wrong way on a one way street.

Ultimately though, the problem is how many transplants we have around here and how much the rules vary.

I moved here from Ontario. There you can only turn left from a one-way to a one-way.

In BC you're permitted to pass on a single solid yellow line. In Alberta, you cannot. And as crazy as it sounds, it's not unlawful (not necessarily smart) to pass on a double solid yellow line in Ontario.

Another big one I noticed early on, and some of my very recent Ontarians have learned the hard way here is the flashing green light. In BC it means it's a pedestrian control light (or will turn if cross traffic has been waiting a certain period of time). However, in Ontario it's a protected left turn. I had friends make insane left turns across traffic here thinking that they had the right of way (Ontario has moved more towards the standard left turn arrow thank god).
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1248 posts

Postby Tony » Nov 4th, 2015, 8:53 pm

twobits wrote:
Sorry Tony..... just a bit of poetic licence. It's all perspective though isn't it? In a community our size, traffic should and would flow much better if there were not people making left hand turns into businesses across the dbl yellow lines. It's just a lack of knowledge of the rules of the road.
I also think you are being a bit cavalier in suggesting we should just have the patience for the other 10 cars coming the other way before we can proceed. Time is money Tony if you make your living making appointments or deliveries on time. A cab driver won't care while you are sitting in the back seat and the meter is running but he/she will certainly care when the back seat is empty and he/she is trying to get to your house to pick you up. And beyond that, my leisure time has a value too that I would rather not expend sitting in traffic because someone else is impeding my way when they should not be. If everyone obeyed the rules we would only have traffic making left turns onto dedicated streets. Those would be the only choke points. Instead, we get these choke points potentially at every driveway entrance to a business down the entire length of Main St and Skaha Lake Rd. That is just stupid and why there is a no left turn rule on a dbl yellow rule if you will impede traffic behind you.

Edit to add- Here's a classic example that frosts my shorts every time. Travelling south on Main. Pass thru the Duncan intersection which has a dedicated left turn lane. Approach the Carmi and Main intersection which also has a dedicated left turn lane onto Carmi. What does half of Penticton's population do if they want to go into the Real Canadian Gas Bar do? Rather than use the left turn lane onto Carmi that still allows two full south bound lanes to flow smoothly and then make a quick, un impeding right turn into the gas bar, they pass the dedicated turning lane and then stop in the inside lane and signal to turn left into the south entrance to the gas bar forcing all traffic behind them into one lane thru traffic around them.....while they wait for your ten oncoming cars to pass northbound before traffic can flow as it was intended. You think that is OK Tony?

Didn't mean to be cavalier, and yes, I make my living traveling all through the Province (just got back from the Coast), so I understand, and yes, I too get frustrated but then I think it's only a little time. I try to leave enough room between my appointments to allow for that sort of thing.

And NO.... I do not think that's OK. That's a total pain in the butt, but not everyone is considerate. It's right up there with parking at the gas pumps, getting your gas and then going into the store for 10 minutes without moving your vehicle. Another thing that drives me insane.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 425 posts

Re: Left on red in Penticton

Postby I Think » Dec 17th, 2015, 6:50 pm

You may legally turn left against a red light as long as you are not crossing lanes open to oncoming traffic.
You may cross double yellow lines if you are turning into a road or driveway.
You may proceed against a red light at a pedestrian crossing as long as there are no pedestrians using the crosswalk.
Do not bother argueing, the laws are available on line you can lookem up yourself.
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
I Think
Guru

Liked in: 868 posts

Re: Left on red in Penticton

Postby rustled » Dec 17th, 2015, 7:11 pm

I Think wrote:You may legally turn left against a red light as long as you are not crossing lanes open to oncoming traffic.
You may cross double yellow lines if you are turning into a road or driveway.
You may proceed against a red light at a pedestrian crossing as long as there are no pedestrians using the crosswalk.
Do not bother argueing, the laws are available on line you can lookem up yourself.

Be careful with the first two. They vary from one jurisdiction to another. For example, in one U.S. state, my father was ticketed for crossing over a double solid (without impeding traffic, illegal there regardless). The third one sounds odd, so perhaps I'm misinterpreting your meaning. Are you referring to a flashing red?
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 10376 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan