Council adopts breast feeding friendly initiative

Council adopts breast feeding friendly initiative

Postby Rosemary1 » Nov 5th, 2015, 1:40 am

From the deep thinkerson City Council. At least there will be no calls for a referendum on this decision.

Coming soon "Council adopts initiative to make Penticton the best topless friendly city in the world"
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 728 posts

Re: Council adopts breast feeding friendly initiative

Postby fluffy » Nov 5th, 2015, 6:55 am

Very progressive, and a sound investment for taxpayer dollars. We should put nipples on a crosswalk to show everyone how enlightened we are.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4414 posts

Postby mrmagoo » Nov 5th, 2015, 11:21 am

Why would you equate breast-feeding with promoting toplessness? Sad.

3 people like this post.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Liked in: 91 posts

Postby Rosemary1 » Nov 5th, 2015, 5:02 pm

An attempt at putting some humour into a generally overblown issue. Did you see the picture? Seems that the more vocal advocates of public breastfeeding are compelled to show their breasts. It is perfectly possible to breastfeed in public with a light discreet cover and many women do.

Most women today know that in most cases breast milk is better than any formula if. Mothers who choose formula over breastfeeding are not doing it for many other reasons and simply because they need public places to breastfeed.
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 728 posts

Postby mrmagoo » Nov 5th, 2015, 5:38 pm

No - didn't see it. I'm ambivalent. I view it as different from public nudity but I get your point.

Thing is breastfeeding is a protected human right in BC and there is no obligation to cover up under the Code:

"Entities that provide public services/facilities customarily available to the public also have a duty to accommodate lactating women.
(8) For those women who wish to breastfeed / express milk in public accommodation includes:
· allowing mothers to breastfeed / express milk on public benches such as may be found in shopping malls, museums, hospitals, public parks, restaurants, etc.;
· allowing mothers to breastfeed their babies while walking in stores, etc.; and
· allowing mothers to breastfeed / express milk in the regular passenger areas on ferries or buses.

zebrawoman likes this post.
mrmagoo
Fledgling

Liked in: 91 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 7th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Rosemary1 wrote:Seems that the more vocal advocates of public breastfeeding are compelled to show their breasts. It is perfectly possible to breastfeed in public with a light discreet cover and many women do.

True. It is also perfectly possible for a woman to put on a bikini top in public. The question should be, "is she legally required to do so?" The courts have answered that question I think.
So..... should the new question be "if we add a child breast feeding on an exposed teat, is that established common law ruling no longer applicable?" I would like to think that any reasonable person would agree that it is still applicable.
It is beyond my personal comprehension how anyone would be offended by an infant being fed the food that nature intended for it to be offensive in any situation....be it the beach or a five star restaurant.
And having four children, when I do see it I pause and think, "is there anything more beautiful in the world than that bond?"
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Return to South Okanagan