Garbage strewn mess

Re: Garbage strewn mess

Postby skydawg » Nov 6th, 2015, 11:53 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 6th, 2015, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 516 posts

Postby skydawg » Nov 6th, 2015, 11:54 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 6th, 2015, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Postby KK69 » Nov 6th, 2015, 12:02 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 6th, 2015, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
KK69

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby skydawg » Nov 6th, 2015, 12:14 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 6th, 2015, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Postby Fancy » Nov 6th, 2015, 12:15 pm

Seems the topic was started regarding the news item but some posters haven't a clue what it's about.
A Penticton resident was shocked and disgusted to find piles of garbage in a pull out off of Highway 97 this week.

Nikita Kiceluk said she was driving to Summerland with her mother to do some geocaching, an outdoor treasure hunting game, and their first stop was the pullout, north of the Sage Mesa Drive turn off.

As they embarked on the game, which uses GPS enabled devices, they came across the garbage.

"It was bags of actual garbage, undergarments, lots of fast food containers and auto parts," she said. "We were both disgusted and ashamed that it had gotten this bad and that no one seems to be doing anything about it."

Adding to her dismay, there wasn't a garbage can or recycling container anywhere in sight.

Kiceluk said the fact she just graduated with a degree in fitness and health promotion, made the find even more appalling.

She said that even if she came out with a garbage bag, she wouldn't be able to do the clean up herself.

Her hope is that something happens, whether its volunteers or those responsible for the area coming out to clean it up, before the snow falls.

In addition, she would like garbage cans or recycling containers to be placed at the location.

"There's obviously a proven need," she said. "Say you were a couple just visiting from Germany and you pulled over and this is what you saw. It's gross, because it's a beautiful, scenic area."

According to the Ministry of Transportation, the responsibility falls on the local road contractor.

Employees at Argo Road Maintenance have been alerted and said they will schedule a time to clean it up.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7747 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 6th, 2015, 12:40 pm

Some people are just lazy pigs, for dumping garbage either on side of the road or up in mountains/mountain roads.
With more & more drivers installing dash cameras, maybe these arseholes will be caught more often.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9082 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby skydawg » Nov 6th, 2015, 12:49 pm

GordonH wrote:Some people are just lazy pigs, for dumping garbage either on side of the road or up in mountains/mountain roads.
With more & more drivers installing dash cameras, maybe these arseholes will be caught more often.

Caught but will anything happen to them. Public shaming is probably more effective than turing the footage over to authorities.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Postby GordonH » Nov 6th, 2015, 12:58 pm

^^^ maybe instead of fines for being caught, community service i.e roadside cleanup

Added: start with 40 Hrs and go up from there
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

Ken7 likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9082 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby nikitakiceluk » Nov 7th, 2015, 5:42 pm

The fact that all of you people are just sitting behind a computer public bashing me for trying to help the environment is more appalling. I don't feel I should even have to explain myself over garbage but clearly I do because you people feel its necessary to rip me apart. Yes I am educated in fitness and health promotion so I do spend a lot of time outdoors. The reporter asked me if what I did for work, and I am currently am not working (due to illness) and that's what I told her. She asked me if I was a student, I said no I just graduated actually and asked with what, so I told her. The way she wants to write the story is her choice and yes I was appalled at the garbage. That picture was not staged, my mom was not taking the photos, and yes I was Geocaching because I think it's fun. I don't judge others based on what they do in their spare time. I did make phone calls and I did clean up best I could. I tried to take some things away and dispose of them properly like car parts and a child's sled and air mattresses. Would you put someone else's soggy moldy underwear in your car? Or old decaying food full of bugs? When it was going no where I contacted Castanet because I felt it would help shed light on a gross situation. Maybe some of you could benefit from a yoga class, learn to be respectful and not bash others. Are you going out there to clean it up? Doubtful. Do you disagree with the garbage being picked up? Again, Doubtful. So in my opinion there is no need for you to say anything at all. Heaven forbid someone tries to do anything good in the world and you just jump on your computer like a teenage bully. Makes me sick.
Last edited by nikitakiceluk on Nov 7th, 2015, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 people like this post.
nikitakiceluk

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 7th, 2015, 6:34 pm

A shame you felt the need to come on here and bash the whole crew when about half a dozen actually understood what happened and agreed the mess is uncalled for.

Donald G likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby twobits » Nov 7th, 2015, 6:44 pm

Fancy wrote:A shame you felt the need to come on here and bash the whole crew when about half a dozen actually understood what happened and agreed the mess is uncalled for.

And I think it's a bit of a shame that you accused her of bashing the whole crew. How would you expect her to respond when except for six, it was a bunch of rednecks trying to derail the point she was making? We need more people like her making these kind of things public and evident. Only when people know that others are watching will they change their behavior.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

7 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby nikitakiceluk » Nov 7th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Fancy wrote:A shame you felt the need to come on here and bash the whole crew when about half a dozen actually understood what happened and agreed the mess is uncalled for.

If you didn't say anything nasty then the comment was clearly not directed towards you. :)

BCGrrrrl likes this post.
nikitakiceluk

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby Fancy » Nov 7th, 2015, 7:46 pm

twobits wrote:I think it's a bit of a shame that you accused her of bashing the whole crew.

"All you people?" C'mon - this is a short lived discussion and it would have been nice to have actually acknowledged those that stuck up for her (and she has now). I've been in her shoes and had the means to deal with it. People aren't going to change their behaviour even when they are caught. I can only hope that someone actually catches those in the act and then they can pay with their wallet. Cameras cameras cameras - and good for you nikitakiceluk for speaking up!!

Donald G likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby twobits » Nov 7th, 2015, 8:00 pm

Fancy wrote:"All you people?" C'mon - this is a short lived discussion and it would have been nice to have actually acknowledged those that stuck up for her (and she has now). I've been in her shoes and had the means to deal with it. People aren't going to change their behaviour even when they are caught. I can only hope that someone actually catches those in the act and then they can pay with their wallet. Cameras cameras cameras - and good for you nikitakiceluk for speaking up!!

Am still trying to figure out why we are on the same side and I didn't recognize it? A sorry is in order I guess?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Re: Garbage Strewn mess

Postby Midnite » Nov 7th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:Not even sure why it was a story. Call Argo and if they don't clean it up, that would be a story.

The cleaning of roadside garbage should not have to be complaint driven. Has the contractor reduced the number of roadside garbage cans? How well are the contractors audited?
Midnite
Fledgling

Liked in: 60 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan