Mail theft

Mail theft

Postby twobits » Dec 9th, 2015, 9:42 pm

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... n#comments

This is beyond comprehension to me. When is Canada Post going to wake up and secure their mail delivery? We have read about rural mailbox thefts for several years now. But this one is in a main post office in Oliver. How does this happen over a period of some 6 hours? Is there no security? As far as rural mail theft goes....a cumquat with three months of welding instruction could design a mailbox that would be a deterrent to any crackhead if it took them 4 hrs to saw into. Yo.....Canada Post.....quit putting peoples personal information up for grabs in nothing more than sheet metal boxes!!!!
It seems we should be less concerned about sophisticated cyber hackers and more concerned about crackheads with 10 dollar crowbars. I've seen farmer's and rancher's gates that are ten times more difficult to breach than a Canada Post rural mailbox.

I have done my best to divert anything sensitive like bank statements, CRA correspondence etc to what I believe, with reservations, to be more secure in online communication. But if I can not even trust that I can't get something as simple as a B-day card and gift certificate delivered by you....why the hell do I need you at all? It would seem that your raison d'etre is more about delivering unsolicited advertising about Lazy Boy Chair sales and promotions of 4 rooms steam cleaned for the price of three. I have to come to that conclusion when 3/4's of my mail is third party unsolicited delivered to me by you in a tin box.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Re: Mail theft

Postby Bsuds » Dec 10th, 2015, 6:39 am

As far as the ad *bleep* mail goes it is very simple to stop. Just put a notice in your mail box. "No unaddressed Ad Mail Please"
Voila.

They should put a recycling bin by every set of mail boxes so we can throw it all in there. :D
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13273 posts

Postby twobits » Dec 11th, 2015, 5:04 pm

Bsuds wrote:As far as the ad *bleep* mail goes it is very simple to stop. Just put a notice in your mail box. "No unaddressed Ad Mail Please"
Voila.

They should put a recycling bin by every set of mail boxes so we can throw it all in there. :D

The thread is about rampant mail theft not junk mail. The mail thieves leave that stuff tossed all over the road. I suppose if a recycle box was handy we might find a few environmentally conscious mail thieves but I doubt it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby Rosemary1 » Dec 11th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Don't know if this is true but a few years ago I tried asking mail carrier that no junk mail/add be left and posted a sign. A mail carrier told me that they are obligated to deliver it along with the rest of the mail or they can't leave any mail. I can see why they would have to deliver it since advertisers pay for its delivery but all or nothing rule seems weird.

Has anyone had that sign up and found it to work? Wonder how much depends on postman.

( Also heard that some mail carriers get rid of junk mail without delivering it because it just adds weight for the carrier. Don't imagine that would happe nmuch though as their job could be on the line.)
If we ask the right questions we can change the world with the right answers
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 728 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Dec 11th, 2015, 7:23 pm

Eons ago I told my post person I didn't want flyers or junk mail and she put a red dot in the mailbox. Haven't received anything other than regular mail since.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 7812 posts

Postby logman » Dec 12th, 2015, 8:12 am

Just shove the garbage back into the mail slot. It's 98% garbage anyway. They will figure it out.
logman
Übergod

Liked in: 289 posts

Postby Kalvin K » Dec 12th, 2015, 11:01 am

logman wrote:Just shove the garbage back into the mail slot. It's 98% garbage anyway. They will figure it out.

Or - just use the proper process which is easier and doesn't waste everyone's time. Yeesh - 15 seconds on Google.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/det ... ildelivery

cv23 likes this post.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby GrooveTunes » Dec 13th, 2015, 7:12 pm

Like I said before...CP is in the process of making unaddressed admail deliverable by allowing a postal code to be added to the piece. It will no longer be stopped by the red dot program.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 420 posts

Postby twobits » Dec 13th, 2015, 8:49 pm

GrooveTunes wrote:Like I said before...CP is in the process of making unaddressed admail deliverable by allowing a postal code to be added to the piece. It will no longer be stopped by the red dot program.

For no other reason than to preserve a revenue stream at our expense. Our expense because it is a cost that we ultimately have to pay for recycling for something we didn't want or ask for to begin with. I would rather pay 2 bucks each for the 6 letters I actually mail every year now than pay for someone to recycle the several hundred pounds of waste paper sent to me every yr.
What's next? Postal Codes on rocks as samples for weight in the trunk for winter traction just to keep a dinosaur model of snail mail viable?
On a more local level, the ninth wonder of the world is a subscription to, or buying the Penticton Herald. Five pieces of newsprint that sandwich 3 pounds of junk advertising. And the actual news is a day old if you read Castanet news. The only thing missing is the Letters to the Editor and you can get 99% of those same letters for free if you pick up the free Wed and Fri copies of the Western news advertiser. And it actually has local news that Castanet did not catch.....which is very little.

twobits
Guru

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 13th, 2015, 10:41 pm

Here's a good way to dispose of your junk mail and flyers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLN2RVXQJ_b15dGkZAjLrlaQFGDkiKQ7B7&v=2aLZ88_DZz8
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1682 posts

Postby GrooveTunes » Dec 14th, 2015, 11:24 am

For no other reason than to preserve a revenue stream at our expense. Our expense because it is a cost that we ultimately have to pay for recycling for something we didn't want or ask for to begin with. I would rather pay 2 bucks each for the 6 letters I actually mail every year now than pay for someone to recycle the several hundred pounds of waste paper sent to me every yr.
What's next? Postal Codes on rocks as samples for weight in the trunk for winter traction just to keep a dinosaur model of snail mail viable?
On a more local level, the ninth wonder of the world is a subscription to, or buying the Penticton Herald. Five pieces of newsprint that sandwich 3 pounds of junk advertising. And the actual news is a day old if you read Castanet news. The only thing missing is the Letters to the Editor and you can get 99% of those same letters for free if you pick up the free Wed and Fri copies of the Western news advertiser. And it actually has local news that Castanet did not catch.....which is very little.

I think calling a business (and there;s only one) that delivers almost anything to every address in Canada a dinosaur model in this day and age is laughable.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby twobits » Dec 14th, 2015, 7:48 pm

GrooveTunes wrote:

I think calling a business (and there;s only one) that delivers almost anything to every address in Canada a dinosaur model in this day and age is laughable.

And I think that a business that tells me I have to accept anything it wants to deliver to me and I have to accept it as a condition of any delivery whatsoever, is a business I no longer want to be doing business with. I am perfectly happy with paying more for designated mail delivery that can not be accomplished from a service that relies on junk mail for their revenue model.
To me it is no different than accepting a free online version of some software that makes one subject to ads and endless pop up windows vs paying the $9.95/yr and filtering out the noise. Canada Post does not allow me to filter out that noise so yes....they are dinosaurs.

twobits
Guru

Postby GrooveTunes » Dec 14th, 2015, 8:23 pm

The majority of Canadians like those flyers etc. So who's the real dinosaur?
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby twobits » Dec 14th, 2015, 9:13 pm

GrooveTunes wrote:The majority of Canadians like those flyers etc. So who's the real dinosaur?

Then where did the term "junk mail" originate from? Given that the balance of the world is more cognizant of carbon footprint, unnecessary packaging and swathes of forests being cut down to produce unwanted advertising, I would have to say it is you that is the dinosaur in supporting a failed business model that is hardly green at all when for every one piece of legitimate mail is accompanied by ten times that volume in unsolicited junk that takes huge amounts of energy to produce and transport. And that is even without the consideration of the volume of carbon absorbing trees you are content to sacrifice for nothing more than junk mail. Your only motivation is the preservation of jobs in the Postal Union. So yes, you are the clinging dinosaur. And for someone who bats left, it is interesting how you justify such an abuse of energy and resources.
You are a classic case of myopic partisan dogma regurgitation incapable of self thought and the ability to recognize that each and every problem or subject deserves consideration of every possible solution. For you, the only possible solutions exist only in left field where sunshine grows the grass to feed your Utopian unicorns.

twobits
Guru

Postby GrooveTunes » Dec 14th, 2015, 11:29 pm

lol....show me a piece of advertising mail that does not have recycled material printed on it. The majority don't give a rats *bleep* about the rest of the garbage you write. If they did they wouldn't be out now spending their way to death by debt and all that packaging. Just admit you don't like the profitable union jobs that helps with less taxes on you due to the millions in profits the government takes from CP.

Take your mailbox of the wall. You will never have a problem with a piece of advertising mail again.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Next

Return to South Okanagan