Redwing

BC Dave

Redwing

Post by BC Dave »

My wife and I were discussing the Redwing development and when the very first homes appeared on the east side of the highway just north of the bridge on the way out of Penticton. I thought it was in the mid to late 1980s, while she says it was after she moved here from England in 1990. Does anyone know for certain?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Redwing

Post by GordonH »

BC Dave wrote:My wife and I were discussing the Redwing development and when the very first homes appeared on the east side of the highway just north of the bridge on the way out of Penticton. I thought it was in the mid to late 1980s, while she says it was after she moved here from England in 1990. Does anyone know for certain?

I checked on MLS the 3 houses listed east side of Hwy 97, only 2 give built dates 1 was 1991 & other was 1999.

Added: those on west side of Hwy 97 appear to be early 90's built
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:Added: those on west side of Hwy 97 appear to be early 90's built

I wonder about that, I worked on the east side 1990ish and there might have been a couple of dozen house completed at the time we started in there. The guy I was working for did three houses before something more lucrative came along. I seem to remember that the east side was almost complete before the west side really got rolling, I'd be very surprised if there was anything in there from the early 90's. That being said, the whole thing went up very fast. The market was pretty hot and they were selling them as fast as they could put them up, which was fast. For the ones that I worked on we went from an empty hole to lock-up in nine or ten working days. Native land, no inspections required. They had the system down to a science. We were short three or four sheets of plywood to finish the floor deck on our second house, the site super said "Didn't you start with the cut-offs from the first house ?".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

The west side of the hwy was started only when the east side was close to build out. First homes broke ground at the northern most part of the east of Hwy property in either late 1990 or early 1991 from my memory. I also remember some legal wrangling at the time as the original land leases were rather short term....somewhere around 30 yrs. Sales were slow until that issue was resolved with long term leases and I think Red Wing became a registered society sometime in late 1992. Sales then took off. Red Wing is not a strata. It's taxes go to the PIB.
And there is the caveat on buying a home on leased lands. Had the original lease remained, Red Wing property owners would be staring down a lease renewal in about five years from now. Try selling your home asset under that proposition. Time flies. Be it your life or your heirs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
westbanker
Fledgling

Post by westbanker »

remember when it was a marsh with a few cabins and the turtles lived there ?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

westbanker wrote:remember when it was a marsh with a few cabins and the turtles lived there ?

It was a campground of sorts as well. Quite the party place too during the summer with the Quebecois fruit pickers. Much like the Shang Gri La on Skaha Lake Rd was. Anyone remember that place?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rellic

Post by Rellic »

Shang Gri La - late 60's to mid 70's every Summer for most of late July mid August a dedicated group of party people from Lulu Iland would take up residence there, Tents, Camper Vans and Cabins, We were there. The fruit growers Ice plant was still operating and We would buy our ice there to keep our nice new locally bought trash cans full of locally bought beer cold. At least three cans full per campsite.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

westbanker wrote:remember when it was a marsh with a few cabins and the turtles lived there ?

twobits wrote:It was a campground of sorts as well. Quite the party place too during the summer with the Quebecois fruit pickers. Much like the Shang Gri La on Skaha Lake Rd was. Anyone remember that place?

Mount Chapaka or something like that?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “South Okanagan”