Vigil for Louie

jamapple
Übergod

Vigil for Louie

Post by jamapple »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... anne-Louie

Just still can't get my head around a small group of people saying things like they demand the government to look into murdered and missing aboriginal women, and word it like all other missing and murdered women don't even matter to them.

I always try not to be cold, (or racist as they like to come back with as an argument). What ever happened to it being unacceptable for any and all women to be missing or murdered, and not just certain cultures?
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Vigil for Louie

Post by whatwhat »

Just because they are fighting for the awareness of missing and murdered aboriginal women, does not mean that missing and murdered women of other races don't matter. Saying that aboriginal lives matter does not mean that others don't.

Obviously the aboriginal community feels that missing and murdered cases of aboriginal women are not being dealt with appropriately. Just because they are fighting for these specific women, they aren't saying that police shouldn't continue dealing with murders of other races.
hail Satan y'all
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

jamapple wrote:Just still can't get my head around a small group of people saying things like they demand the government to look into murdered and missing aboriginal women, and word it like all other missing and murdered women don't even matter to them.

When a young woman is killed, her family will also demand the govt/police/anybody to look into the murder and solve it as soon as possible. It doesn't mean that other murders don't matter to them. But they're focused on their daughter/mother/sister/etc.

Think of native people as one big family.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

We already know who are abusing and murdering aboriginal women.....85% it turned out to be aboriginal men (RCMP stats).
It's a sad statistic that speaks to genererations of broken homes and a failed system.
All the government money and programs in the world won't fix things....just a pit that will continue to suck money and resources down the drain while the native population continues to eradicate itself.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Leifer wrote:We already know who are abusing and murdering aboriginal women.....85% it turned out to be aboriginal men (RCMP stats).
It's a sad statistic that speaks to genererations of broken homes and a failed system.
All the government money and programs in the world won't fix things....just a pit that will continue to suck money and resources down the drain while the native population continues to eradicate itself.

but since we know the rcmp commish publicly stated there is racists in the rcmp and he wants them rooted out , how can anyone be sure of the stats they put out ?

we know from the farce that was the picton investigation that the rcmp had a dislike of certain folks and refused to investigate properly . 50 women had been murdered before they had decided to do anything about it . infact we may never know how many women picton killed and most of them were fn women killed by white guy
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Leifer wrote:We already know who are abusing and murdering aboriginal women.....85% it turned out to be aboriginal men (RCMP stats).

85% is aboriginal on aboriginal crime, no need for another bs study -only god knows why they all hate each other so much
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:85% is aboriginal on aboriginal crime, no need for another bs study -only god knows why they all hate each other so much

So the government is not supposed to do anything about the crime? Just continue making arrests but doing nothing to find a solution?
hail Satan y'all
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Kind of a catch-22 situation then, isn't it ? If stats point to the thought that it is an aboriginal-on-aboriginal problem and RCMP have limited authority on aboriginal land, who ya gonna call?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

whatwhat--what would you like the rcmp to do, not there fault they are killing each other is it ??? they hate the rcmp they hate the govt they hate the white man, so what the hell do they want .let them there bands and there chiefs figure it out, ??? what else is left
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

A loss of life is crushing. All the more so when it involves violence. This case involved non-aboriginal family members and that family must also be devastated.

Somehow, it doesn't seem quite right to politicize a memorial event by bringing anti-RCMP, anti-legal system and racial sentiments into it. (Every case is different, but did we see any politicization when someone who I believe was a member of the young woman's family killed his brother, and another mutilated his girlfriend?). Maybe memorials are best to just focus on the lost loved one, and the broader issues addressed through other venues. Just a thought. Some will disagree and that's ok.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Rosemary1 wrote:Maybe memorials are best to just focus on the lost loved one, and the broader issues addressed through other venues.

Exactly. A solemn event such as a memorial might be best not paraded down Main Street, and it doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out what's going to happen when you put a microphone in front of Stewart Phillip.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 14df7.html

Looks like it's going to court on the 6th. That does seem like a long time, but I doubt if race played into that. It's just a matter of having all the facts so they can secure a guilty verdict. I guess if you're in a hurry you can take your chance on the jury returning a not guilty verdict or a hung jury. If I was the family I'd be pleased to see the right steps have been taken.

I totally agree that vigils for lost loved ones should not be turned into a witch hunt, but then as was mentioned, Stewart Phillips got involved, and we all know what he's all about. Poor Chief Kruger is still digging out of that mess.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tony wrote: http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 14df7.html

Looks like it's going to court on the 6th. That does seem like a long time, but I doubt if race played into that. It's just a matter of having all the facts so they can secure a guilty verdict. I guess if you're in a hurry you can take your chance on the jury returning a not guilty verdict or a hung jury.

It's not a trial yet. The two weeks set aside in Feb are for a preliminary inquiry to determine if there is enough evidence to go to trial. I have my own suspicions of why the Crown has been so slow in moving this forward. I think that given the evidence I think will come out at trial, the Crown is concerned it will make a conviction of second degree murder very difficult. I know the woman charged, from a distance and not closely, but close enough to know that there is a well documented trail of conflict between Louie and her charged grandmother in law. Gma had been the primary care giver for the young son very often in the previous few years with zero notice. I will not slander Ms Louie but my thoughts are that much will come out at trial that is making the Crown uncomfortable.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby whatwhat » Yesterday, 2:03 pm

the truth wrote:
85% is aboriginal on aboriginal crime, no need for another bs study -only god knows why they all hate each other so much

So the government is not supposed to do anything about the crime? Just continue making arrests but doing nothing to find a solution?

The police are making the arrests and, in doing so, identifying the problem regarding native women being murdered or going missing.

Since the reason identified lies primarily with the native people and is NOT a policing problem, what are the native people doing about the problem ?? It is THEIR problem. The police can only help when they get support from the Native people.

The vigil for Louie is not a time to stand around yelling and pointing fingers. It is a time for reflection on the Louie family and the community in which she and they lived.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly

Return to “South Okanagan”