Pay parking at beach in Penticton

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Pay parking at beach in Penticton

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ee-parking

The days of free parking have come to an end in Peach City.

I've noticed the new city of Kelowna pay to park devised need your licence plate #, those wishing to share there un-used time can't.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: City of Penticton

Post by fall »

The days of a lot of out of towners that enjoyed Penticton and its free parking may think twice with one more headache and cost to go walk along the beach or do whatever. Less people less spending money in the town!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fall wrote:The days of a lot of out of towners that enjoyed Penticton and its free parking may think twice with one more headache and cost to go walk along the beach or do whatever. Less people less spending money in the town!

This year, especially is an opportunity to welcome visitors from South of the border (with the low Cdn dollar) and we (Penticton) should be the first to offer FREE parking to entice them to stay here for a while. Why be "just like the other" cities up the valley and charge for everything. It also means more bylaw/meter maids and they don't come cheap and the cost of vandalism to meters, plus the initial install. I disagree completely with what city council is doing on this matter.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Pay boat launch, pay parking at the beaches, no incentive for people from out of town to really go and hang out for the day. Most locals will not be paying to park along Lakeshore. Who wants to pay for parking anywhere but that was an attraction for people!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Believe it or not, the rest of the world doesn't think they're owed free parking.

No one is going to say "OMG did you hear about the new parking fees in Penticton? Frig! Cancel the vacation, that's going to kill the budget!"
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Whether or not I have to pay for parking does not change whether or not I decide to go somewhere. Either I will park further away and walk or I will suck it up and pay for the parking. And honestly, the only time I would park further away and walk is if it is an event or something where parking exceeds $10.

This is such a non-issue. Really it should have been pay parking years ago.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

It will cost more then $10 if you want to spend over a few hours there like many people have enjoyed doing, park and set up for the day on the sand. You can not expect free parking everywhere, get it but as I mentioned that was a draw for many people who like to spend time there. Its getting nickel and dimed and is just one more thing, expect all the side streets to be jammed, they may as well put parking restrictions in place now. Not sure if the city owns the lot by Loco Landing, if not that will be an issue for them also. Tourism is already down with Ironman gone, Challenge about to be gone and the Albertans who are jobless that contribute huge to the economy there. Should be interesting this summer. In the off season it is local seniors for the most part that like to drive down and park for their walk. They are not going to pay to park and easily.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

kgcayenne wrote:Believe it or not, the rest of the world doesn't think they're owed free parking.

No one is going to say "OMG did you hear about the new parking fees in Penticton? Frig! Cancel the vacation, that's going to kill the budget!"

Believe it, yes some people do, especially seniors who have lived there forever and are used to free parking and think it is included in their taxes or should be.

Some people will think twice about their time in Penticton for sure after hearing about the fees, I used to launch at Skaha and have never been back since the fees were implemented. I launch in WK OR Summerland or Peachland now. I know several people that enjoy spending time at the beach and like the convenience of having their vehicle right there that will not pay to park all day. It may not kill the budget for everyone but some people will be deterred. You can bet I am not the only one!
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Pay parking will not affect tourism. There I said it.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

ToddT wrote:Pay parking will not affect tourism. There I said it.

YOUR opinion; your opinion and likely not the opinion of most. Will be interesting when tourists park down Riverside, and float down the river channel; not knowing how many hours it will take and how much to plug into the meter. Will they ticket tourists (how would they collect?) and/or tow them? Or will it just be the locals who get ticketed. Don't we pay enough in taxes, now? Since we use the beach areas all year, perhaps resident taxpayers should be issued free annual parking passes. I am NOT in favor of hiring more enforcement people/city employees.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

There are places where residents in high tourist areas are issued free parking tags but parking is on first come first serve basis. If non residents occupy all parking spaces (that they paid for with meter) resident is out of luck.

Argument that could be made for free parking at beaches and public grounds for residents is that it is they who through their taxes pay for the maintenance of public beaches and parks....
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

XT225 wrote:
YOUR opinion; your opinion and likely not the opinion of most. Will be interesting when tourists park down Riverside, and float down the river channel; not knowing how many hours it will take and how much to plug into the meter. Will they ticket tourists (how would they collect?) and/or tow them? Or will it just be the locals who get ticketed. Don't we pay enough in taxes, now? Since we use the beach areas all year, perhaps resident taxpayers should be issued free annual parking passes. I am NOT in favor of hiring more enforcement people/city employees.

Never has anyone said "sorry kids, not making the trip this year because we have to pay for parking." You're making something out of nothing. Pay parking is the reality of the society we live in.
jusme3

Post by jusme3 »

Tourism is one thing, locals are another. Year round I enjoy and patronize the food establishments on Lakeshore . So, now if I want to go get seafood, Mexican, Cambodian, or whatever fare with my friends in a fun environment and spend an evening of dining and entertainment with each other we'll have to each pay additionally for parking, which the restaurants, stores, and other businesses can't /don't provide. I also quite often take my lunch and park at the Rose Garden/ Loco Landing parking lot. I'll quite often grab a crepe from the fabulous crepe cart parked by The Sicamous. Should I have to pay additionally to take in these awesome features? I hope not and I wonder how the parking fee will affect these businesses. I know it will be a deterrent to me.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

If a person is too cheap to park, maybe they're too cheap to tip and the staff won't miss-em one bit.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

ToddT wrote:Pay parking will not affect tourism. There I said it.

Your right, it won't. People travelling generally don't care.
It's the other 10 months of the year when you are dealing with locals, like in Kelowna, people stay away from downtown because they can go so many other places without dealing with paying for parking. I know Penticton, it won't go over well, mark my words. People are tired of being nickel and dimed to death.

Return to “South Okanagan”