Gas prices

Gas prices

Postby mandk » Jan 24th, 2016, 10:16 am

i just got back from edmonton where gas was 68.4 cents/litre
now i have a thought about how to get our prices lower here in ok.
i propose that we boycott one gas station company one day a week
say
-mon,petrocan
-tues,esso
-wed,cheveron
-thurs,shell
-fri,husky
-sat,supersave
-sun,costco gas
now if we can actually do this and get on board we could lower the prices to where they should be,come on people don't be a typical canadian.let's get it going .pass it on to your friends,tell it was your idea.lets get this done.
an open mind is like an open wound,it catches every disease that comes along
mandk

Liked in: 11 posts

Re: gas prices

Postby cv23 » Jan 24th, 2016, 10:25 am

Why did you pay so much for the gas you bought in Edmonton? If you had gone to Costco you would have only paid $.629/l

Why on earth would you want to boycott Costco gas when it is their presence which drives the price of gas down in any community they have a gas bar? Go to :http://www.edmontongasprices.com/GasPriceSearch.aspx and see who is the cheapest gas in Edmonton, or any other community Costco sells gas in, and tell us again why you want to boycott the very retailer leading prices downward.
Why boycott SuperSave when they are usually lower priced than everyone else in Communities without a Costco gas bar and by doing so are leading gas prices down?

The very idea of boycotting the companies bringing down gas prices shows just how stupid this suggestion of a boycott really is.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 1953 posts

Postby mandk » Jan 24th, 2016, 11:08 am

oh yes ,i forgot if you don't want to try and change anything please feel to insult me and don't suggest any good ideas.thanks.
*bleep* like the above need not reply :1422: :popcorn:
an open mind is like an open wound,it catches every disease that comes along
mandk

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 24th, 2016, 11:29 am

Unfortunately the only boycott that would get the attention of big oil would be if very large percentage of drivers switched to electric over night.
Other then that not much is going to change.

Good luck with boycott :D
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9082 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby cv23 » Jan 24th, 2016, 12:41 pm

mandk wrote:oh yes ,i forgot if you don't want to try and change anything please feel to insult me and don't suggest any good ideas.thanks.
*bleep* like the above need not reply :1422: :popcorn:

Welcome to the forums mandk
Sorry if I insulted you by pointing out you paid to much for your Edm gas purchase by not buying from a Costco in Edm.

If you take the time to look around these forums you will see that I and others have made many comments and suggestions regarding the high fuel prices in the Okanagan.
Also as has been pointed out on many occasions no boycott has had any effect nor likely will have any effect unless it is a total boycott which is basically impossible. Your idea is definitely nothing new but persecuting those retailers who are lowering prices certainly is.
cv23
Guru

Liked in: 1953 posts

Postby jamapple » Jan 24th, 2016, 3:13 pm

The old "boycott" each station is the oldest one in the books. Never has worked, and never will. Sounds great on paper, but people are strange animals.

2 people like this post.
jamapple
Übergod

Liked in: 1267 posts

Re: Gas prices

Postby twobits » Jan 24th, 2016, 9:08 pm

mandk wrote:i just got back from edmonton where gas was 68.4 cents/litre
say
-mon,petrocan
-tues,esso
-wed,cheveron
-thurs,shell
-fri,husky
-sat,supersave
-sun,costco gas
now if we can actually do this and get on board we could lower the prices to where they should be,come on people don't be a typical canadian.let's get it going .pass it on to your friends,tell it was your idea.lets get this done.

If I had put away a hundred bucks every time this idea has been suggested (even just here on castanet), this post would be coming from my beach front home in the Tropics.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Bsuds likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby Corneliousrooster » Jan 25th, 2016, 6:38 am

say
-mon,petrocan
-tues,esso
-wed,cheveron
-thurs,shell
-fri,husky
-sat,supersave
-sun,costco gas

Try boycotting your vehicle - the less you use it the less you will care how much the price of gas is. If everyone did this the demand would be reduced across the board and all the stations you listed would lower their prices.

My family made a conscious effort a few years ago and nowuse the car for a couple road trips a year and whatever is mandatory distances for work or appointments. It was amazing how many short jaunts we used the vehicles for. Shortly thereafter we realized we only needed one vehicle and instead invested in some newer bicycles. We now save on gas, insurance, car maintenance and gym memberships. So much of the problem revolves around lifestyle choice verses entitlement. We are not under the thumb of the corporations, we choose to be ( or not to)

2 people like this post.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 239 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Jan 25th, 2016, 2:43 pm

say
-mon,petrocan
-tues,esso
-wed,cheveron
-thurs,shell
-fri,husky
-sat,supersave
-sun,costco gas

How do you think this will lower prices exactly?

You do realize that with this plan you dont actually buy less gas from any of the stations right? Therefore they feel no pain at all. At the end of the month they still have the same sales as always and all you have done is made your life less convenient.

cv23 likes this post.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3416 posts

Return to South Okanagan