Westjet cuts

BC Dave

Westjet cuts

Post by BC Dave »

Reading about WestJet cutting flights to Calgary, Edmonton and Fort McMurray, I am sure hoping that the Penticton-Calgary flight is safe. I am so used to not having to make the drive to Kelowna to fly to Edmonton.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Westjet cuts

Post by Dizzy1 »

Could be worse ...

There will also be reduced service to Fort McMurray, Penticton, B.C. and Brandon, MB., Bartrem said.

http://calgaryherald.com/business/local ... c-downturn

Penticton

WestJet will cut more than half the flights from Penticton to Calgary as of February 15, 2016. Twice daily flights will be offered only three days a week, instead of every day.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3419556
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

WestJet will cut more than half the flights from Penticton to Calgary as of February 15, 2016. Twice daily flights will be offered only three days a week, instead of every day.

They have a morning flight running now?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

fluffy wrote:They have a morning flight running now?

It was supposed to start next month.

I'll have to make some calls tomorrow to get some more info - the media reports are conflicting and there is nothing on WS's webpage.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Dizzy1 wrote:

I'll have to make some calls tomorrow to get some more info - the media reports are conflicting and there is nothing on WS's webpage.

Here is the latest. I believe that its the Morning flights that will only happen three days per week, rather than every day.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

pentona wrote:Here is the latest. I believe that its the Morning flights that will only happen three days per week, rather than every day.

Yup, you're right. The other media reports I've read weren't very clear on that. From a text I received earlier today ...

YYF-YYC
WS3280 1455-1700 1234567
WS3132 0700-0905 135

YYC-YYF
WS3281 1410-1424 1234567
WS3267 2045-2059 247

So, the daily afternoon will remain the same however, the planed second daily flight will only be operated 3 times a week. Flying from Calgary to Penticton on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights, leaving Calgary at 845pm and arriving in Penticton at 859pm. The aircraft and crew spend the night and return to Calgary on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, leaving Penticton at 700am and arriving in Calgary at 905am.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

My husband just had the experience of trying to get back to Fort Mac.

If you are on some kind of work rotation and going back and forth between Fort Mac. and Okanagan be prepared to book way in advance and for a long plane ride. West Jet 3 hour flights to Fort Mac with one stop are pretty much limited now and book up fast. Your other choice is Air Canada (be prepared for 6-12 hour! flights that do the 'world tour' go to Vancouver first with 2-3 stops/transfers.

If you have to be in Fort Mac by certain time to tee up with shuttle buses to camps you might find another challenge -coordinating flight departure and arrival times with shuttle buses picking you up at Fort Mac airport. May have to spend a night in Fort Mac if they don't tee up. You may be spending a lot more of your time off travelling .

So suggest you plan and book your trips between Fort Mac and the South Okanagan ahead because it sounds like its not going to get better.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Rosemary1 wrote:Your other choice is Air Canada (be prepared for 6-12 hour! flights that do the 'world tour' go to Vancouver first with 2-3 stops/transfers.

Penticton to Vancouver to Fort Mac is hardly a "world tour". Take AC8351 from YYF-YVR and then AC8445 YVR-YMM - hardly an ordeal. Only an hour difference opposed to connecting through Calgary or Edmonton.

Kelowna is losing the direct flight to YMM, which was nice as it got us there by 930am, but now the Kelowna workers will also have to connect, unless they are on the direct Suncor flight, or if they are connecting to their respective charter flights in Calgary or Edmonton - not a biggie if arriving at YMM in the early afternoon is still an option. I do know that many contractors have already accommodated and adjusted schedules for the later arrival as Vancouver already lost their early morning flight end of October 2015. As for the fares, you just have to be smart, book in advance and still get the lower $168 fare.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Jan 27th, 2016, 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#157196

WestJet will be reducing service from Penticton to Calgary as of Feb. 15.

On a weekly basis, service will decrease from twice daily flights to three days of twice daily flights per week.

WS3280 from Penticton to Calgary and WS3281 from Calgary to Penticton will operate daily.

WS3132 from Penticton to Calgary will operate on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday and flight WS3276 from Calgary to Penticton will operate on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Correct me if I'm wrong - but seeing that the second flight has not even begun service yet, YYF is technically still getting an increase in service.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Dizzy1 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong - but seeing that the second flight has not even begun service yet, YYF is technically still getting an increase in service.

The morning flight would work for me, and take the Vancouver leg out of the trip. I've been catching the company flight between camp and Calgary which is cool, saves a lot of goofing around in Ft. Mac.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

So is the seventh day Sunday? I think the Castnet article might have things backwards. The way they have it there would be a flight into Penticton on Friday, with the plane sitting on the ground here until Sunday. I'm guessing inbound flights (from Calgary) late night on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, with outbound flights the next morning Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But granted, the alignment between flufflogic and the real world isn't always perfect.
Last edited by fluffy on Jan 28th, 2016, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

According to God it is.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

mexicalidreamer wrote:According to God it is.

But does God fly WestJet ?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

fluffy wrote:So is the seventh day Sunday? I think the Castnet article might have things backwards. The way they have it there would be a flight into Penticton on Friday, with the plane sitting on the ground here until Sunday. I'm guessing inbound flights (from Calgary) late night on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, with outbound flights the next morning Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But granted, the alignment between flufflogic and the real world isn't always perfect.

Yup, day "7" in the airline world is Sunday. And you're right, the castanet article does have it backwards - good catch lol!

I just did a quick mock booking on WestJet's webpage and the morning flight leaves (as I posted earlier) Penticton on Monday Feb.22, Wednesday Feb.24 and Friday Feb.26 at 700am arriving in Calgary 909am. The inbound flight (Calgary to Penticton) leaves Calgary on Sunday Feb.21, Tuesday Feb.23 and Thursday Feb.25 leaving Calgary at 845pm and arriving Penticton 900pm and then the aircraft spending the night to do the morning flight back.

fluffy wrote:The morning flight would work for me, and take the Vancouver leg out of the trip. I've been catching the company flight between camp and Calgary which is cool, saves a lot of goofing around in Ft. Mac.

The $35 cab fare from the main terminal to the exec terminal really annoys me I'll tell you that. The one in Edmonton is worse, same price and a quarter of the distance. I'll usually walk that one - takes about 15-20min LOL!

mexicalidreamer wrote:According to God it is.

fluffy wrote:But does God fly WestJet ?

I do :smt045 Bawhahahahahha LOL!

Return to “South Okanagan”