Just when you thought it was safe to read the paper

Just when you thought it was safe to read the paper

Postby southy » Jan 29th, 2016, 2:39 pm

This should become very very interesting indeed.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/366930111.html
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1006 posts

Re: Just when you thought it was safe to read the paper

Postby XT225 » Jan 29th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Yes, I just read that myself, Southy. Unbelievable; our council seems to have a real dislike for Mr. Prystay and the Lakeside. Would the electrical meter(s) not be the property of the City (even if locked up) and thus the CITY would be responsible for their safe and reliable operation? I know that I can't touch my own meter. Hey....$600 grand would more than pay for that wonderful light canopy that council wants.

ToddT likes this post.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 706 posts

Postby ToddT » Jan 29th, 2016, 3:13 pm

oo this is juicy. Is it not the city's responsibility to ensure their equipment is working?
ToddT
Übergod

Liked in: 274 posts

Postby fluffy » Jan 29th, 2016, 3:21 pm

Interesting to be sure. It's been obvious for some time that there is no love lost between Mr. Prystay and the current council, but you can bet they've both been told by their lawyers that they have a good chance of winning. Hard to imagine that with the size of the hydro bill a place the the Lakeside must rack up that either party would'nt notice it shrink by half.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4420 posts

Postby XT225 » Jan 29th, 2016, 3:36 pm

fluffy wrote:Interesting to be sure. It's been obvious for some time that there is no love lost between Mr. Prystay and the current council, but you can bet they've both been told by their lawyers that they have a good chance of winning. Hard to imagine that with the size of the hydro bill a place the the Lakeside must rack up that either party would'nt notice it shrink by half.

That's been very obvious for sure. I was surprised that council approved his expansion plans so easily. I would have expected at least some postponement due to "whatever" reason. Will be interested in twobits' opinion on this one, as he dislikes both the mayor and Prystay. Perhaps Mr. Prystay might consider going "off the grid". Heck, there is likely enough hot air and wind power coming out of council chambers, just down the street to power the entire hotel!
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 706 posts

Postby GEW » Jan 29th, 2016, 3:39 pm

Three reasons the City of Penticton should get out of the electricity business.
1. Punishing markup to its customers compared to Fortis and Hydro customers.
2. The opportunity to manipulate and bully people that council doesn't like or don't fit into their clique.
3. They can't/ won't maintain their equipment and then back charge the customer for what they can't control.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.

ToddT likes this post.
GEW
Fledgling

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Jan 29th, 2016, 5:02 pm

Jobs, jobs, jobs...

I'm sure the lawyers are quite impressed with their record to date. I mean seriously... who knew you could spin so many high paying jobs out of such a small tourism industry?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 1263 posts

Postby madmudder » Jan 29th, 2016, 6:43 pm

What would the COP do if they had overcharged by that amount of money? I'm sure they would have immediately cut a check.Not

XT225 likes this post.
madmudder
Board Meister

Liked in: 161 posts

Postby vichill » Jan 29th, 2016, 7:00 pm

Hmmmm, does the city intend to give a refund to the people they overcharged with their faulty equipment!!! Sheesh!!

XT225 likes this post.
vichill

Liked in: 1 post

Postby toby765 » Jan 29th, 2016, 9:19 pm

so.....
The Mayor stated: "The city, more accurately all utility users, paid Fortis for the power that the Lakeside Hotel consumed. And now, in turn, we are looking to collect on services rendered and amounts owed,"
does that mean: if they do win and collect the $600g's, will the utility users get a credited for the portion they overpaid??
It's the city's responsibility to maintain their own equipment.
And....
why did it take 5 years for the city to figure out something was faulty?

Suck it up and take the hit City of Penticton. You messed up! :1422:

Either way, the utility users should be credited for their overpayment.

:fence:
toby765

Liked in: 0 post

Postby twobits » Jan 30th, 2016, 9:20 pm

The City will get little or squat out of this IMO. Within the Canadian Weights and Measures Act, it is very clear that it is the responsibility of the Utility to maintain their own equipment. There is a dispute process where a customer can dispute the accuracy of metering devices within the Act. Those however apply to the end consumer (us) disputing the meter provided by the City was reading incorrectly, or the City as a customer of the metering equipment they purchased from the manufacturer. If the second were true here, the City would be suing the manufacturer of the metering equipment, not the Hotel. There is no dispute mechanism for a Utility (the city in this case) disputing that it's own equipment, that they had a duty to maintain, was inaccurate.
The only hope for the City IMO is to prove that the Hotel was aware of the inaccuracy and knowingly gained a benefit it knew it was not entitled to. Much like it is still theft to take the 10 twenty's the bank machine spit out when you only asked for 5. A reduced power bill is however not so obvious. Most of us would be thrilled that our power bills had dropped 50% and pat ourselves on the back for our efforts at converting to those squirrely bulbs and washing in cold water only. The last thing people would do is phone the City and say, "Hey, you better check that meter you supplied me cuz I think I am being undercharged". And all Prystay has to say is that he has been making efforts for years to conserve power by adopting LED lighting and educating both staff and customers to turn the lights off. Reasonable defense. Reasonable doubt.
Do I think Prystay noticed his power bill dropped 10k a month? Yup, sure do. It would show up on the monthly spread sheet as obvious as a splat of Meganser poop. Proving it is the problem. What is equally or even more problematic for me is why the City did not notice a 10k per month drop in this specific account billing? And it continues for five friggen years??? Simple software notices variances such as this for closer scrutiny. I know that even the Fortis Meter readers (when we still had them a year ago) would enter the meter reading into their hand held device. If the reading was significantly outside of the past average consumption data, it would prompt the meter reader to re check and re enter the meter reading. If the reading was correct, it would prompt Fortis to investigate further starting with a phone call to the customer and escalating to a meter verification. And that would be done in months, not five years.
The only thing the City will likely recoup is the period of time between when they notified the Hotel there was a problem with the meter and the time it took to set up a date to shut the power to the Hotel off and replace the defective meter. Probably won't even cover the litigation costs. The City is just taking a *bleep* shoot that they can prove the Hotel knowingly benefited.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Jan 30th, 2016, 10:01 pm

toby765 wrote:so.....
The Mayor stated: "The city, more accurately all utility users, paid Fortis for the power that the Lakeside Hotel consumed. And now, in turn, we are looking to collect on services rendered and amounts owed,"
does that mean: if they do win and collect the $600g's, will the utility users get a credited for the portion they overpaid??
It's the city's responsibility to maintain their own equipment.
And....
why did it take 5 years for the city to figure out something was faulty?

Suck it up and take the hit City of Penticton. You messed up! :1422:

Either way, the utility users should be credited for their overpayment.

:fence:

Hello and welcome to the forums. Are we to assume that you are one of Dave's " yes men "?
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1682 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 30th, 2016, 10:36 pm

OT- I am disappointed the smilies are back. I hope they don't get over used like in the past where ya felt like you were reading the colour comics instead of a discussion board.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby fluffy » Jan 30th, 2016, 10:44 pm

twobits wrote: I am disappointed the smilies are back.

It's about time. I'm so done with vocablutary stuff.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

twobits likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4420 posts

Postby madmudder » Feb 1st, 2016, 7:35 am

Obviously the city doesn't have a leg to stand on over this. If they did they would turn off the power till the bill was paid. That's what happens to business and residential customers in Penticton. Is Mayor and council reluctant to enforce the bylaws.
madmudder
Board Meister

Liked in: 161 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan