Mayor Jak is a smart guy!

twobits
Guru

Re: Mayor Jak is a smart guy!

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:

Andre Martin....you are right, Southy. I had completely forgotten that he was even a member of council. Doesn't say or do much...likely trying to keep his nose clean. Definitely a good candidate for a fence sitting team.

I don't think fence sitting is an accurate description. I think he is doing what most people do when surrounded by idiots. Keep your yap shut and head down lest you be labelled as one of the group. It is a cowardly strategy however. If he grew a pair of stones and spoke out like Konanz does, at least there might be some semblance of an opposition to the clown crew if Watt grew a pair as well.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

School closure decision is made. Unlike other local mayors, our mayor and council chose not to weigh in on school closures for fear of potentially' influencing any decisions' since the city was' too big a stakeholder' and it considered it best to maintain 'an arms length.'

Since schools don't do much for tourism, maybe mayor and council are sniffing for a deal with ministry to repurpose some of the schools for their pet projects?

Our MLA Dan Ashton , who was apparently invited to one of the last meetings was a no show as well.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Rosemary1 wrote:

Our MLA Dan Ashton , who was apparently invited to one of the last meetings was a no show as well.

This decision was a local one. By elected school board Trustees. Dan Ashton's presence at the meeting would make as much sense as being at a City Council meeting when the downtown revite was being voted on. There is zero connection.
The Province funds education on per capita student enrollment. Our local district, and a few others, just happen to be experiencing a demographic change that sees a reduction in school aged children. Many others are experiencing the opposite with increasing enrollment and are looking to add classrooms.
An equal province wide funding formula makes sense. It directs dollars at the growth areas so that students in those areas are not short changed in educational opportunities at the expense of heat, maintenance, and teachers of half empty schools in another district.

So why would Dan Ashton show up at a meeting of 150 parents that just want to throw rocks at him because they think the funding formula should be changed to essentially subsidize their children's education experience at the expense of a district that does not have 1/2 empty schools and actually needs another one built?
The complainers of school closures of half empty schools are not champions of education for children, they are selfish parents who don't want to drive another 3km to drop off or pick up their kid. They are reverse NIMBY's.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Looks like one of your councilors is on vacation now that there is income being generated from taxpayers. Had a mishap it sounds like, here is a copy from the facebook page....

Max Picton feeling *bleep* off.

April 8 at 6:55pm ·

Got my phone jacked by some little street urchins on the way back to the hotel last night...

About 4 or 5 of the little *bleep* came running up yelling at me to buy bracelets and grabbing onto me and two seconds later they were gone, along with my phone they pick pocketed.

All my data roaming was turned off for our trip as well so even though we used the find my phone app it won't work unless they break the passcode and connect it to wifi, which isn't going to happen. Phone is as good as gone now.

At least they didn't take my wallet, probably would have been more *bleep* about that.

Can't say I've ever had the urge to punch a 10 year old in the face before though...
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Not sure what this is supposed to derail into, but I'd be pretty choked if some little chump stole my phone. Not sure what this has to do with our Mayor and/or Council either.

fall wrote:Looks like one of your councilors is on vacation now that there is income being generated from taxpayers. Had a mishap it sounds like, here is a copy from the facebook page....

Max Picton feeling *bleep* off.

April 8 at 6:55pm ·

Got my phone jacked by some little street urchins on the way back to the hotel last night...

About 4 or 5 of the little *bleep* came running up yelling at me to buy bracelets and grabbing onto me and two seconds later they were gone, along with my phone they pick pocketed.

All my data roaming was turned off for our trip as well so even though we used the find my phone app it won't work unless they break the passcode and connect it to wifi, which isn't going to happen. Phone is as good as gone now.

At least they didn't take my wallet, probably would have been more *bleep* about that.

Can't say I've ever had the urge to punch a 10 year old in the face before though...
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

[quote="ToddT"]Not sure what this is supposed to derail into, but I'd be pretty choked if some little chump stole my phone. Not sure what this has to do with our Mayor and/or Council either.

Shows how professional someone on council and in the public eye reacts to a situation. Penticton has its fare share of "chumps" and street urchins. Hope they do not need support from this person on council
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I would hope that our council would do what they could to prevent them from being a nuisance in my town. (Which they aren't, which is part of the problem but that's an aside lol) I don't see issue with his comments.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

ToddT wrote:I would hope that our council would do what they could to prevent them from being a nuisance in my town. (Which they aren't, which is part of the problem but that's an aside lol) I don't see issue with his comments.

Hopefully not all of the councilors get the urge to assault people, namely children when there is an incident or situation they are involved in.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

That's why you have several members of council, so you get people from all walks of life. :)
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

fall wrote:Hopefully not all of the councilors get the urge to assault people, namely children when there is an incident or situation

I don't know Fall - I think those little *bleep* could take them all on. Then what do we do? :smt045
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

ToddT wrote:That's why you have several members of council, so you get people from all walks of life. :)

That is exactly right and what I thought after posting that. Someone I know who is friends with him sent me that message. I completely agree and think it would spell real disaster for Penticton if they did not have a good mix of people from all walks of life. At least he says what he really thinks I suppose.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

No, he's not.

Confused?

Just answering the title of this thread.

On topic, I am!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Humm .... This is starting to sound like a council meeting.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Removed.

Return to “South Okanagan”