Transmission Mechanic's

Transmission Mechanic's

Postby theseeker » Feb 21st, 2016, 11:06 am

Well a question for all you "mechanic's" out there. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 truck a Pleasureway B class, I have just over 1000,000 Kilometer's on it and the over drive switch on this model is on the end of the gear shift, well what happens is that out of the blue it shifts out and into drive when I'm on the highway cruising at around 100 to 120 K and I'm unable to switch it back, so I have to slow right down and then of course I start to smell the transmission, when I leave it sit over night it then works fine for just awhile. Any Idea's, suggestion's, remedies or possible cost for repair and or a good mechanic my man just retired. I live in Penticton. Thanks in advance.
theseeker
Fledgling

Liked in: 13 posts

Re: Transmission Mechanic's

Postby twobits » Feb 21st, 2016, 5:44 pm

theseeker wrote:Well a question for all you "mechanic's" out there. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 truck a Pleasureway B class, I have just over 1000,000 Kilometer's on it and the over drive switch on this model is on the end of the gear shift, well what happens is that out of the blue it shifts out and into drive when I'm on the highway cruising at around 100 to 120 K and I'm unable to switch it back, so I have to slow right down and then of course I start to smell the transmission, when I leave it sit over night it then works fine for just awhile. Any Idea's, suggestion's, remedies or possible cost for repair and or a good mechanic my man just retired. I live in Penticton. Thanks in advance.

I have enough mechanical knowledge to only be dangerous, but it sounds like an electronic issue with either a solenoid or relay that controls the shifting. Either of the above could be inside the pan of the tranny. Before you cook the tranny, get it looked at asap before you get to the total rebuild only option. If you are smelling tranny burn, you are already in serious waters. You could take it to Thunder Alley Transmissions. They do know their stuff but I have found their service a bit on the pricey side. Or take it to the Napa repair shop at the corner of Main and Warren Ave and ask for Bruce Molyneaux to diagnose it. He is a late fifties hippie type journeyman red seal mechanic that is a friggen amazing encyclopedia of vehicle problems. He does not play nicely with employers trying to gouge so I have followed him through 6 different employers over the four yrs that I discovered him. He is that good.
Don't just drop off your vehicle though. Tell them you won't pay the bill unless Bruce looked at it and figured out what was required and ask to talk to Bruce to make sure that he had been involved. He is a strangely principled guy that won't lie for even his employer.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Auto1 likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3854 posts

Re: Transmission Mechanic's

Postby theseeker » Feb 22nd, 2016, 3:49 pm

Thanks twobits that's the kind of mechanic I had before he passed on, I'll have him check it out before I put it back on the road for the summer.
theseeker
Fledgling

Liked in: 13 posts

Return to South Okanagan