Annoying Geese

ToddT
Übergod

Re: Annoying Geese

Post by ToddT »

mexicalidreamer wrote: If I were allowed to call you a dumb *bleep*, I would. But I'm not so I won't.

Stating that they were here first is anything but "holier than thou". I believe it is referred to as fact.

And, it is folk like yourself that are making this a "bigger problem than it needs to be".

LOL, but what about the children??? You are so far out in left field on this topic.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It does seem more than a little sad to have to tell children they can't roll and tumble in the grass at a park or on a school field.

And to have to keep our shoes on in some of the few areas we should be able to go barefoot. And to track goose poop into our schools and cars and homes in the treads of our footwear just because we spent time on a school field or at a park.

And to be unable to spread a picnic blanket on the lawn as we might have done in decades past because now there's too much *bleep* on it.

And that those of us who take a goose's more aggressive behaviours as a warning (a sensible response to any creature's guard mode) should abandon the area entirely.

Because geese are nature, and they were here first.

Well, they may have been here first, but I very much doubt their numbers were ever as high here as they are now, now that they have manicured lawns to enjoy being fed and protected on. If it's all about nature, these thoroughly urbanized modern-day geese sure as heck didn't get the memo.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

[quote][quote="twobits"][quote="mexicalidreamer"]
For you sir, I must ask you to refer to my first tag line.

I'd respond but this makes little sense.

For you as a public service; Hilite the line or lines you want to quote and then hit the quote button.

And yes, the geese were here long before my home was. Touché' and what's your point?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

rustled wrote:It does seem more than a little sad to have to tell children they can't roll and tumble in the grass at a park or on a school field.

And to have to keep our shoes on in some of the few areas we should be able to go barefoot. And to track goose poop into our schools and cars and homes in the treads of our footwear just because we spent time on a school field or at a park.

And to be unable to spread a picnic blanket on the lawn as we might have done in decades past because now there's too much *bleep* on it.

And that those of us who take a goose's more aggressive behaviours as a warning (a sensible response to any creature's guard mode) should abandon the area entirely.

Because geese are nature, and they were here first.

Well, they may have been here first, but I very much doubt their numbers were ever as high here as they are now, now that they have manicured lawns to enjoy being fed and protected on. If it's all about nature, these thoroughly urbanized modern-day geese sure as heck didn't get the memo.

Best post on here!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

LOL, but what about the children??? You are so far out in left field on this topic.

Nahhh. I don't hang out in left field. Too much goose poop.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Goose turds really aren't that big of a deal. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Dog turds are way worse.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Wouldn't be a big deal at all if there were only a few of them pooping occasionally. We're talking large flocks of geese pooping regularly on our school fields and parks.

Pooh-pooh it all you like (heh, heh), but I understand why this is concern for those who use the fields and parks.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I use fields and parks on average 4 times a week and it is never an issue worth complaining about. And I use them at both ends of the city. It is a fact of living beside two huge lakes in a temperate climate. Shooting isn't allowed along either lake due to its proximity to the highway and other municipalities, therefore there isn't any efficient population management. They should open up a hunting season along the KVR trail between Penticton and OK Falls to help with the problem.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

A rapid decline in hunting is a contributing factor worth mentioning.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Scaring them away is only temporary. Population #'s are high despite programs that have been in place for years. Late fall and late winter hunting seasons would work better. And I'm a goose lover lol.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

mexicalidreamer wrote:If I were allowed to call you a dumb *bleep*, I would. But I'm not so I won't.

Ditto to you. Thrice if you think we should not be able to enjoy a few tens of acres of schoolyard, park and swimming area as a community of 35k without having to endure feces and parasites.
Mice are wild creatures as well and here before us, yet I am sure you would take measures to keep them out of your kitchen, home and yard rather than expose yourself or kids to their parasites or viruses. Where do you draw your line of what is wild co habititating with you?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”