BMX track

T-roy
Fledgling

BMX track

Post by T-roy »

so I read on castanet about the Penticton bmx track debate. then is says at the bottom of the story to discussion in forum. I click the link and it takes me to the forum main page, no discussion. but the story reads it a bone of contention. but yet I cant find anything on it here.
so this is my take on it. a bmx track for kids is a best that any city could do for their kids, it gets them off the video games and computers, twitter,snapchat,instagram, ect. for anyone to complain where they want to build the new track makes me sick. we want to grow grapes for whine they say, come on. what does that say to the kids. sorry kids you cant have a bmx track. mommy need more booze to drink so we need another vineyard next to the other 100 of them. or the other thing was a community garden. well nothing wrong with that if you have a good community that gets along. fighting over a bmx track is not getting along. the bmx track is just a place for kids to get fit be active is a much better way.

I raced as a kid growing up,my kids raced. it was a big part of my and most of my friends childhood, my kids will remember it for all their years. more then wendys soccer. t ball, or any start out team sports out there, seems to me the farmers need to spend less time worrying about kids sports and more time milking old daisy.

go Penticton bmx!!
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Re: BMX track

Post by wanderingchef »

I agree fully!!! Lets build a facility worth inviting racers to town for.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

T-roy wrote:so I read on castanet about the Penticton bmx track debate. then is says at the bottom of the story to discussion in forum. I click the link and it takes me to the forum main page, no discussion. but the story reads it a bone of contention. but yet I cant find anything on it here.
so this is my take on it. a bmx track for kids is a best that any city could do for their kids, it gets them off the video games and computers, twitter,snapchat,instagram, ect. for anyone to complain where they want to build the new track makes me sick. we want to grow grapes for whine they say, come on. what does that say to the kids. sorry kids you cant have a bmx track. mommy need more booze to drink so we need another vineyard next to the other 100 of them. or the other thing was a community garden. well nothing wrong with that if you have a good community that gets along. fighting over a bmx track is not getting along. the bmx track is just a place for kids to get fit be active is a much better way.

I raced as a kid growing up,my kids raced. it was a big part of my and most of my friends childhood, my kids will remember it for all their years. more then wendys soccer. t ball, or any start out team sports out there, seems to me the farmers need to spend less time worrying about kids sports and more time milking old daisy.

go Penticton bmx!!

This isn't about protecting farmland. It's all about neighboring property owners not wanting anything that will be an attractant to what they view as deviant youth. They are nothing but Nimby's IMO using Ag Land as an excuse to squash the plans. I hope that it is approved with the stipulations from the ALR Commision.
If we can lease 20 or 30 acres of the most prime farmland in the Valley bottom for a buck a year for people to wack and chase golf balls we can certainly devote an acre for kids to pedal their bikes for lord's sake.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

The lady in the pic looks like one of those crabby complains about everything type of person.

I use to BMX race back in the 80's to 90's its a great sport that all members of the family can participate in. Once a year Ill go watch a few racers, and its such a great atmosphere, from the glider class (no pedals) right up to the over 40 class.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Whiners and Complainers of the Okanagan. Dont these people have anything else better to do with their life?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... ng-a-worry
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

probably wouldn't be an alr issue if it was them applying for an rv park on their farm land heaven forbid bicycles be allowed
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

I find it very strange living in the Central Okanagan that nobody from the South Okanagan area of Penticton would comment on the contaminated dirt that now has to be removed by what I would presume would be tax-payers money. Surely this must irate many Pentictonites who seem to always complain about the current Mayor and City Council?

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/397519811.html
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Straight Shooter wrote:I find it very strange living in the Central Okanagan that nobody from the South Okanagan area of Penticton would comment on the contaminated dirt that now has to be removed by what I would presume would be tax-payers money. Surely this must irate many Pentictonites who seem to always complain about the current Mayor and City Council?

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/397519811.html

Not a big deal for those of us who live in the South area. You see - we are becoming so used to "gotta give my head a shake" decisions by this current mayor and council that another one is ... well ... just another one. You'd have to live here to understand the dysfunction we experience from this group of nomads on a regular basis. Be happy you live in the Central area. Don't hear much complaining about Colin and his ilk, so things must be running fairly smooth. Thanks for watching out for us though.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Im sure the whiner/complainers of the Okanagan will have a field day with this contaminated soil deal.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Gixxer wrote:Im sure the whiner/complainers of the Okanagan will have a field day with this contaminated soil deal.

I sure hope they do! Just one more example of decisions being made that shouldn't be. Where do you live Gixxer and how does this affect you? I hope they get this straightened out for the sake of the kids. They need this BMX track and so does the city.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:
I sure hope they do! Just one more example of decisions being made that shouldn't be. Where do you live Gixxer and how does this affect you? I hope they get this straightened out for the sake of the kids. They need this BMX track and so does the city.

That land where the BMX track is going would be quite suitable for a water slide, Southy. Since the slides would be above ground, no problem with the contaminated soil. On the serious side, whoever approved the dumping of that particular dirt there should have to answer for it. Doesn't anyone ever check things in the city?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Im sure the whiner/complainers of the Okanagan will have a field day with this contaminated soil deal.

Mistakes happen. When they do - acknowledge the mistake and correct it.

This is kind of bright day for the city and we can hope a new trend is emerging.

As far as this location for the BMX track goes, (which is a completely separate issue to the soil contamination) I'm not sure this location was the right choice, but recognize the fact that some location had to be chosen. I really don't understand what made this location attractive to the club, or the city, but I do realize it isn't being built out of stone and can be revisited in the future.

Personally, I see potential conflict with the neighbours (ag lands) and other park users. I would have been happier seeing something like this incorporated into other park holdings the city has around the industrial area.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

I was in support of BMX track but recently saw the survey results from students on City community planning site putting BMX near bottom of list of activities .
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

What were their preferences, Rosemary1?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “South Okanagan”