Penticton Minimum Wage Rebuttal

Not PC

Penticton Minimum Wage Rebuttal

Post by Not PC »

So, the businesses of Penticton are crying over a 40 cent an hour wage increase, and saying it will ruin their business, and cause hardship.

I'm glad to hear these small business owners will spend more time tending their own livelihoods, for 4-8 more hours rather than spend $3.60 a day for an 8 hour employee shift. What a bargain! Maybe these people need to try and live on what they expect employees to do. I call BS. Typical Okanagan greed.

Maybe the wealthy can serve themselves at Starbucks when the service staff leave the valley.
GEW
Fledgling

Re: Penticton Minimum Wage Rebuttal

Post by GEW »

I still haven't figured out why minimum wage workers feel entitled to more money, to pour coffee and flip burgers. It's brain dead lackee work that requires no skills whatsoever.
*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on May 6th, 2016, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Min. wage work is and has been for starter jobs and not careers . There are so many ways one can earn more then minimum wage in the Okanagan. You just need to be flexible on what you're willing to do.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Hope42

Post by Hope42 »

My question to Michael Magnusson.

Do you earn more than the minimum wage?
If the answer is yes, shame on you for ting to tell the Public at large that today's employees are not worth a rise to the current minimum wage.

It may be easy for you to make ends meet eating your Prime Rib steak and drinking your $20.00 bottle of Okanagan wine.

Try telling that to the family eating Kraft dinner washed down by some cheap bottle of soda.

Anyone earning a Minimum wage is the person serving you your high priced restraint meal, and they do deserve more.

If a business cannot at least afford to care for their employees, then they should close up shop.

Your remarks are thoughtless, disturbing and you should apologize.

Ron
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

thoughtless and disturbing ha that's a laugh someone earning minimum wage is doing so because that's what they deserve thoughtless and disturbing are the minimum wage earners that feel they deserve to be paid more when they really don't have any skills if you want to make more make yourself more employable, knocking someone who has worked hard at making their own business successful is a typical minimum wage attitude.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well you wouldn't have a business if it wasn't for your thoughtless brain dead workers....right ????

and yes, min wage jobs used to be starter jobs, but nowadays you see more and more adults/seniors working min wage jobs...

regardless of how little you think of those who work min wage jobs, if we didn't have those workers doing that kind of work, then who would be serving/making you food, cleaning your hotels rooms etc etc..
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

It's shameful that some in our society believe that hardworking people with full time jobs "deserve" to live in poverty. Seriously. Shameful.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

All other provinces presently have a higher Minimum Wage than B.C. When the two .40 cent raises are factored in BC will have the seventh highest Provincially set Minimum Wage in Canada.

Does that mean that;

1. Businesses in BC are more inefficient than businesses elsewhere in Canada ??

2. Businesses in BC are greedier than businesses elsewhere in Canada ??

3. Businesses in BC are continuing to operate only because they are being subsidized by their employees ??

4. The fixed costs of doing business in BC are higher than elsewhere in Canada ??
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well Donald, I must say that sometimes I completely disagree with some of your comments, but I gotta say not with this one...

and, your comment is the best one I have ever seen about this subject...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Well I guess you haven't had the pleasure of hiring some of the highly skilled text all day pants half down metal *bleep* in my face I should be making 25 bucks an hour and working less folks. People should be paid what they're worth'' when'' I get a good employee I pay them well so they stay, to bad they're so hard to come by if your earning minimum wage its probably for a good reason.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

LTD wrote:Well I guess you haven't had the pleasure of hiring some of the highly skilled text all day pants half down metal *bleep* in my face I should be making 25 bucks an hour and working less folks. People should be paid what they're worth'' when'' I get a good employee I pay them well so they stay, to bad they're so hard to come by if your earning minimum wage its probably for a good reason.
Why are you offering minimum wage to new employees and expecting the cream of the crop.?
If your all about paying an employee well so they stay then offer that wage to start with and you may get better potential candidates to hire. If not you can always get rid of them within the first 90 days without it costing you anything but a bit of your time.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Any & all increased costs to an employer will be passed on to customers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well then as a employer you must not care too much on whom you hire LTD if you're only getting crappy employees...

there are also employers in this town who want skilled tradesmen/persons who will so kindly pay you more than min wage ($14.00 an hr) BUT, please use your own cell phone (for their business) use your own vehicle, insurance, gas, and please don't ask or expect overtime cause if I gotta pay you overtime then my whole business will be shut down..oh and you want benefits...sure, I'll get into the group plan but the premiums will be paid by you...

meanwhile, I'm off to my mexican condo for 3 weeks, please run my business for me and we'll see ya in a few weeks...
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I guess not to many of you have dealt with the caliber of employees out there these days pay me top dollar but don't expect me to work hard ,Gordon h is right on the money hey why not make minimum wage 20 bucks an hour I will adjust my rates accordingly . flipping burgers and folding sweaters has got to be worth 20 an hour.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

There are plenty of jobs that don't require school but pay way above minimum wage. Look at Castanet classifieds - none of the jobs posted even mention min. wage. All of them are above it. There's no excuse for sitting on your butt at a min. wage job and not doing anything to improve your situation by sending out resumes, knocking on doors, making phone calls, and networking with other people trying to get into other industries. Instead people sit and complain about getting paid min. wage and how it doesn't buy you much. No way, really? Know your worth, and don't settle for less.

Return to “South Okanagan”