Penticton Minimum Wage Rebuttal

madmudder
Board Meister

Re: Penticton Minimum Wage Rebuttal

Post by madmudder »

All you business people complaining about the raise to the minimum wage forgot to mention the provincial government is cutting small business tax by 1.5 percent to compensate for the raise. So your going to raise the price of your products and services anyways. Talk about greed
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

You know all those reasons you were told as to why work hard and study in school? Why you should clean up your room, do the dishes, mow the lawn, etc? This was so you would become a responsible adult, that could earn a decent living. While we're at it, you did earn minimum wage when you were 16 learning other skills, like going to a job on time, every shift, even if you had a fun place with your friends that was super fun and couldn't live without to go. You still went to your minimum wage job. This taught you responsibility and helped prepare you for being on your own when you became an adult.

If this wasn't your experience then it's not the governments fault you still need that minimum wage job. ITS YOUR PARENTS/parent Fault.

I do understand that there are unfortunate circumstances that many have gone through that weren't your parents fault, but I'm referring to all circumstances apart from them.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

madmudder wrote:All you business people complaining about the raise to the minimum wage forgot to mention the provincial government is cutting small business tax by 1.5 percent to compensate for the raise. So your going to raise the price of your products and services anyways. Talk about greed

Lets do the math!

Lets say min. wage goes up just $1/hr and your minwage employees work 40 hr/week and work all 52 weeks of the year.
That is a wage increase of $2080 for the year.

Now the BC Gov't gives a 1.5% tax cut to compensate - you would need to pay $100,000 in BC tax to get a $1500 tax reduction for 1 employee. If you had 10 min. wage employees you would be paying over $1,000,000 in BC tax..... Just how lucrative do you think small business in Penticton is???? Your living in a dreamworld!
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Hmmm wrote:
I do understand that there are unfortunate circumstances that many have gone through that weren't your parents fault, but I'm referring to all circumstances apart from them.

If you understand this then what is the point of your argument? Just because some entitled rich kid doesn't know how to earn a living doesn't mean someone who has been on the streets since they were 12 years old shouldn't have a chance.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hmmm wrote:I do understand that there are unfortunate circumstances that many have gone through that weren't your parents fault, but I'm referring to all circumstances apart from them.

ToddT wrote:If you understand this then what is the point of your argument? Just because some entitled rich kid doesn't know how to earn a living doesn't mean someone who has been on the streets since they were 12 years old shouldn't have a chance.

Why use such emotional extremes? One would expect the vast majority of those employed at minimum wage are neither.

Using minimum wage to solve the economic problems of someone who has been on the streets since the age of 12 is like using a sledgehammer to dispatch the mosquito on your knee. It's not the correct solution for the problem, and the most likely result would be to bankrupt our entire economy.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

I isolated the point that minimum wage isn't designed to help slackers, it's designed to help the less fortunate and those that can be taken advantage of. Unfortunately slackers benefit from it as well.

rustled wrote:Why use such emotional extremes? One would expect the vast majority of those employed at minimum wage are neither.

Using minimum wage to solve the economic problems of someone who has been on the streets since the age of 12 is like using a sledgehammer to dispatch the mosquito on your knee. It's not the correct solution for the problem, and the most likely result would be to bankrupt our entire economy.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

ToddT wrote:I isolated the point that minimum wage isn't designed to help slackers, it's designed to help the less fortunate and those that can be taken advantage of.

So min. wage at $10. 40 /hr is taking advantage of someone who is recently employed but has been living on the streets for the past 12 years?

I do not understand your logic.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

ToddT wrote:I isolated the point that minimum wage isn't designed to help slackers, it's designed to help the less fortunate and those that can be taken advantage of. Unfortunately slackers benefit from it as well.

It's designed for a range of practical purposes, and incremental increases tied to the appropriate economic indexes are appropriate for those purposes.

We cannot and should not rely on changes to minimum wage to address the needs of the working poor. In most cases, large increases to the minimum wage have resulted in immediate cuts to the very jobs these people rely on. The resulting increase in the cost of living impacts those with the least income well before it impacts the rest of us.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Each person has the ability to improve their finances, education either in the trades or a degree.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Corneliousrooster wrote:
So min. wage at $10. 40 /hr is taking advantage of someone who is recently employed but has been living on the streets for the past 12 years?

I do not understand your logic.

I didn't say that even once. I also never once said minimum wage is too low. All I said was don't get pissy when it goes up every now and again. Believe me when I say, every time minimum wage goes up, I make less money.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I'm sorry, but those that have lived on the streets for twelve years or so shouldn't have to be subsidized by small business. Get a job or two. Work hard and then once you're on your feet and have a track record of reliability, start looking for a real job. Look for a job that you CAN live on. Minimum wage is for children and people starting out. It's not a fricken career choice. If you think it is,, than you deserve it. When I said there are those in some circumstances that maybe need this job and all they can get it one that pays minimum wage, I was referring to low IQ, severely handicapped, mental instability and so on. If you are able bodied, mentally sound and have an average IQ, then you 100% can work your way up to a living wage somewhere. Everybody knows it's hard to find these types. By the way, those with the disabilities I mentioned can also do very well for themselves too, but if there are people who could never earn above min wage, it might be those unfortunate ones, who my heart does truly go out for.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Raising the minimum wage does nothing to lift people out of poverty. It just puts more people into poverty when employers cannot justify employment at an artificial rate set by the gov't rather than true market demand for the required skill. It just forces people who might be employed at a rate reflecting what the job is worth onto welfare or some other social safety net that pays far less than min wage.
An interesting topic for discussion would be why the gov't feels justified in forcing employers to pay this pulled out of someones *bleep* in logic "basic living wage" yet they cannot or will not come anywhere close to this "wage" in social assistance for the truly disabled, seniors, or veterans. Is this not hypocrisy at it's best? Force employers to pay a rate to people who have no or little interest in improving themselves and have every opportunity to do so with even more gov't money, while the people who cannot improve themselves are somehow expected to survive on half or less than min wage.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Minimum wage is what it is.

There are so many positions available here for these types of jobs. A lot of these "servers" make a hundred or two in tips, each night.

I have a degree, and at the end of the day, I probably make less than a lot of the servers in this town.

The people you think about are the true homeless. They all get a cheque (our money) from assistance each month for $600 and blow it on crack and booze the same day. Those are the one's we should be helping.

Return to “South Okanagan”