Private School in Osoyoos?

Tony
Übergod

Private School in Osoyoos?

Post by Tony »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#165631

Having just read this it brought to mind the private school in Summerland that didn't make it. This is an exceptionally expensive proposition. I wonder if the founders have laid out a budget. It would have to run off donations, and I have to wonder, amid the outcry of the school closing, how many people are willing to fork over major money to open the school as a private school. This has to cost $500,000 a year to operate at least by the time you pay teachers, staff, rent, maintenance etc etc. Maybe even closer to a $1,000,000.00, depending on rent of the facility and how many teachers you employ. Who is going to fund that? If you don't have children in school, I'm not sure why you'd want to pay.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Private School in Osoyoos?

Post by Bunnyhop »

If they can pull this off financially, go for it. Then they will understand the position the school board has been in.

Do these parents really think they can privately provide the same learning opportunities at the high school level as the students would get by attending SOSS? How are they going to provide science labs, and all the shops that a bigger, newer school is providing, a 20 minute drive away?

Imo, they are digging in their heels at the expense of their children's education.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I expect that by the time September rolls around those involved will have switched from theory to reality and come to the same conclusion as the School Board. Sometimes the best way to understand that a theory is not feasible is to try to turn it into reality.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Donald G wrote:I expect that by the time September rolls around those involved will have switched from theory to reality and come to the same conclusion as the School Board. Sometimes the best way to understand that a theory is not feasible is to try to turn it into reality.

Theory into reality. That is the crux. While these parents are well intentioned the real problem is that their theory is based on the use of someone else's money. They will learn as quickly as the Penmar Society did that it requires "someone else's money" and not everyone is as passionate about the idea as they are. I would give the odds of a private High School in Osoyoos come Sept about the same a winning 100 bucks on a scratch ticket.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”