Prostituting a business opportunity!

southy
Lord of the Board

Prostituting a business opportunity!

Post by southy »

Perhaps it is just me, however, I have noticed many local businesses promoting the fact they will donate X amount of money to the FT. MAC cause if I purchase something from them. The latest one that really urks me is a local automobile dealership offering a donation if you buy a new car/truck. These businesses in my opinion are doing nothing more than trying to take advantage of a perceived good cause but only to promote their cause. It's sleezy and unjustified. If these businesses really cared they would take their cheque book out and write a cheque to the Red Cross instead of trying to gain the perception that they are doing something wonderful. And really if you participate in these promotions all you are doing is giving these businesses the money to donate - it's yours not theirs. Unbelievable. But I will say I now know where I won't shop in the future.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Prostituting a business opportunity!

Post by TylerM4 »

I think you are over-reacting.

IMO - it's only sleazy if they up the price just so they can make the donation. Is that dealership asking $500 more for the truck? If not that's $500 that is going to Ft. McMurry instead of the owner's pocket. Yes, it's also a marketing opportunity but I think the people of Ft. Mac would appreciate it none the less. Are you suggesting that it would be better if these businesses didn't do this? Better for who?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

No! I'm saying that these businesses should quit trying to play the Cause Marketing card to drive traffic to their business.
If they are that concerned about donating - they can write a cheque and know they are doing something worthwhile. It's called being an opportunist plain and simple! And no I do not believe I am overreacting - simply stating a fact that there are some business people out there who will do anything to try and generate business.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe, maybe not. What if they are just trying to be generous and donate some of their profits to the cause.

No sales, no profit available to donate.

If you think someone is going to rush out and buy a new truck just to donate to Ft. Mac then shake your head as that is not very likely to happen
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

southy wrote:No! I'm saying that these businesses should quit trying to play the Cause Marketing card to drive traffic to their business.
If they are that concerned about donating - they can write a cheque and know they are doing something worthwhile. It's called being an opportunist plain and simple! And no I do not believe I am overreacting - simply stating a fact that there are some business people out there who will do anything to try and generate business.

I know what you are saying. Do you understand what I'm saying? This is a win-win situation. Win for the business and a win for the victims. Why so negative?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Think about the word - VICTIM.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

TylerM4 wrote:I think you are over-reacting.

IMO - it's only sleazy if they up the price just so they can make the donation. Is that dealership asking $500 more for the truck? If not that's $500 that is going to Ft. McMurry instead of the owner's pocket. Yes, it's also a marketing opportunity but I think the people of Ft. Mac would appreciate it none the less. Are you suggesting that it would be better if these businesses didn't do this? Better for who?

It might be more palatable and credible if the tax deductible receipt for the donation to the Red Cross was issued in the purchasers name.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Tim Horton's must have you foaming at the mouth, they made a donut for the occasion ...

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/corpora ... p?id=10054
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Dizzy1 wrote:Tim Horton's must have you foaming at the mouth, they made a donut for the occasion ...

http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/corpora ... p?id=10054

Where's the comparrison? I don't see the car dealership offering any money up front that is not dependent on the sale of anything nor do I see them offering up all the proceeds from every sale of a certain model.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

twobits wrote:
Where's the comparrison? I don't see the car dealership offering any money up front that is not dependent on the sale of anything nor do I see them offering up all the proceeds from every sale of a certain model.

Principle is the same - Business 'A' says "come on in, buy this and we'll donate 'X' amount of money" - Business 'B' says "come on in, but this and we'll donate 'X' amount of money". The goal is the same, get the customers to come to your place of business. In the case of Timmie's, yes they are giving all proceeds of that particular donut to donation but the rest of the money you spend there stays in their pockets.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

The first thing you have to realize is that a lot of people will gladly donate at a business offering something like that. Personally I ate at White Spot because they were giving $2 for every burger bought. I needed to eat anyway. The second thing is how many people actually donated to Red Cross or what ever other charity was raising money for Ft McMurray? It's easier to do it this way - I know I've probably thrown $25.00 into it, but maybe would have only donated $10 if I made a straight donation.

It's not bad business, it's just a win win for everyone.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

But somehow "Buy a car to support the evacuees" just doesn't have that humanitarian ring to it.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I would love to write about "Prostituting a business opportunity" as per the wording of the caption but it would likely be declared off topic. Two dollars off of a quickie and two hundred twenty two dollars off of the the deluxe model.

Advertise it as the Kelowna 2-22 tourist discount special.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Not as bad as being asked at the till if you would like to donate to a charity when purchasing something.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Tony wrote:The first thing you have to realize is that a lot of people will gladly donate at a business offering something like that. Personally I ate at White Spot because they were giving $2 for every burger bought. I needed to eat anyway. The second thing is how many people actually donated to Red Cross or what ever other charity was raising money for Ft McMurray? It's easier to do it this way - I know I've probably thrown $25.00 into it, but maybe would have only donated $10 if I made a straight donation.

It's not bad business, it's just a win win for everyone.

Yup ok Tony - if that's your feel good moment that White Spot donated $2 from the burger you bought. You call it a win/win - I call it - let's take advantage of this and increase sales, they won't know that we are receiving not only the tax receipt but the great PR too. Marketing prostitution at it's best and you sir bought right into it! And apparently - gladly.

Return to “South Okanagan”