What the hell was that!

southy
Lord of the Board

What the hell was that!

Post by southy »

I still can't believe it - today around 1pm I was heading north on Winnipeg Street going to make a left on Westminster - stopped at the lights - just before they were to change and I was to turn left out of nowhere comes this deer just hoofing it down Winnipeg and passes me on my drivers side with a huge big brown dog chasing it. Thank God there were no vehicles crossing the intersection on Westminster because it could have been ugly. Kind of felt sorry for the deer as this dog wasn't giving up on it. They were both heading in a full run towards Okanagan Beach, have no idea how this ended. Keep your eyes open folks - it's deer and dog season!
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: What the hell was that!

Post by Bunnyhop »

Not cool! Hopefully someone called Animal Control to pick up the dog. If this were in a rural area, the dog could be shot on sight by CO for chasing wildlife.

ICBC has been known to charge the dog's owner for the damages if it caused an accident.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Isn't winnipeg street right in the middle of Penticton? Like the downtown area? Weird place for a deer to be lol
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

exactly same thing happened to me while walking on street next to Tim Hortons on skaha lake road. Huge unleashed dog chasing a large panicked deer. Watched deer as it ran across skaha lake road by lights and leaped fence .Fortunately no cars.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Frisk wrote:Isn't winnipeg street right in the middle of Penticton? Like the downtown area? Weird place for a deer to be lol

Not really - I drive Winnipeg back and forth to work, and also at lunch, and I've seen quite a few grazing in front yards. Must have just missed seeing this one - I was driving south at just before 1:00 today.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I know it's politically, as well as legally incorrect, and many of you will hate me for saying so, but I wish there were more loose dogs in town to encourage these urban deer to stay in their own natural habitat.
Just last week it was in the media that the cougar spotted well inside the City was likely going after these urbanized deer. The is the reasoning of the Conservation Officer responding. Personally, I would rather have some dogs chasing a deer in the City that it never going to be able to catch, than a Cougar guarding a kill that one of my grand kids might stumble across. Pick your poison. It is quite obvious that cougars are learning where the easy meat is, as well as the Coyotes. Fluffy and Boots are the current casualties and it will not be too long before it's Francis Jr and Beatrice.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The deer are certainly pests in Penticton, I see them everywhere. Think there were forums on them before.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fall wrote:The deer are certainly pests in Penticton, I see them everywhere. Think there were forums on them before.

Lots of threads on them in the past few years. And they always end up the same. One group that says they were here before us and we are dastardly and pompous to think we we have a right to exclude them from urbanized areas and the other group thinks they are a pest and we deserve to have 10 square miles of deer pest free area while the deer have several hundred thousand square miles of natural habitat to frolic in.
And for those that hang their hat on "they were here first", is it not somewhat hypocritical that they are silent about the bears, cougars, coyotes, and rats for that matter. They have no hesitation in calling someone to eradicate these "pests" when they encroach in their living space. They all were after all here before us were they not?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”