Main Street opening soon

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Main Street opening soon

Post by Rosemary1 »

Someone in City Hall has a fetish for black bollards. Total overkill at corner of Westminster and front that is actually confusing. Don't recall anything about that corner being designated as one of the more dangerous ones in Penticton. Other roads come to mind much more quickly. Don't see how they protect pedestrians. And now 2 lanes? Certainly no aesthetic value when overdone. Thought Martin was bad....
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Main Street opening soon

Post by southy »

Rosemary1 wrote:Someone in City Hall has a fetish for black bollards. Total overkill at corner of Westminster and front that is actually confusing. Don't recall anything about that corner being designated as one of the more dangerous ones in Penticton. Other roads come to mind much more quickly. Don't see how they protect pedestrians. And now 2 lanes? Certainly no aesthetic value when overdone. Thought Martin was bad....

Simply more silliness from city hall and those that be and oh Downtown Penticton Association as well. Noticed those black things yesterday - just don't get it. Where's XT - I know he thinks fondly of those bollards too :) .. I'm sure Mayor Jak is extremely happy the 200 block is done and he can strut his proudness at the opening on Saturday.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I'm not a fan of the bollards on Martin Street, but I like how they've used them at Westminster/Front St and Main. Especially the little triangular pedestrian area, its a great safety feature. It was a bit unnerving standing on that little island waiting for the light to turn so you could cross.

I think they had to do something to protect the pedestrians at the curbs since they've changed the curbs to be much wider and less prominent. Hopefully the new design will be easier and safer for those in wheelchairs or with mobility issues.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:
Simply more silliness from city hall and those that be and oh Downtown Penticton Association as well. Noticed those black things yesterday - just don't get it. Where's XT - I know he thinks fondly of those bollards too :) .. I'm sure Mayor Jak is extremely happy the 200 block is done and he can strut his proudness at the opening on Saturday.

I was surprised to read here that they have now installed Bollards at Main and Westminster. I drove down there and sure enough. Yes, they MIGHT make that pedestrian tri-angle a bit safer but perhaps just the opposite. They are still ugly as sin and are expensive and will need replacing often when they are hit by vehicles (that's already happened on Martin Street, the Bollard Capital Street of Penticton) and they aren't cheap to fix when flattened). I would say more of a liability than a safety item. I can just imagine it now - a cyclist roaring down Main St, at night, no light, no helmet; crashes into one (they are painted black and not lighted) and then takes the City to court over their injuries. Maybe; maybe not. Time will tell. If nothing else, they are a complete waste of our tax dollars.
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Even more reason to avoid Main St. Like that's going to revitalize downtown.LOL
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Well the back-slapping, hug fest, photo op has come and gone. We now have a revitalized 200 bock. I do have a few "gee I wonder" questions. 1. What is the plan to take three lanes down to two? Right now they have the painted area and fluorescent cones - what will be there in the future, ie: July when traffic increases with folks who do not know our downtown. 2. Why the pavement risers entering and exiting the 200 block? What happens in the winter with snow removal?
Can the bricks handle salt and snow plowing or will this damage them? If we have a heavy snowfall how will snow be pushed to side at intersections so as not to damage bollards? And my last "Gee I wonder" question is one that was initiated by me driving down Main Street today only to have .. you guessed it a delivery vehicle parked unloading - not only was he blocking my lane but he was using a dolly out of the side door so while doing this he was holding up oncoming traffic in the other lane as well. Wonder if the city has or have intentions of advising delivery companies to use back lane ways. Bad enough with three lanes but two not so good. Does anyone recall if the city has announced when they will be starting work in the 300 and 400 blocks?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Well the back-slapping, hug fest, photo op has come and gone. We now have a revitalized 200 bock. I do have a few "gee I wonder" questions. 1. What is the plan to take three lanes down to two? Right now they have the painted area and fluorescent cones - what will be there in the future, ie: July when traffic increases with folks who do not know our downtown. 2. Why the pavement risers entering and exiting the 200 block? What happens in the winter with snow removal?
Can the bricks handle salt and snow plowing or will this damage them? If we have a heavy snowfall how will snow be pushed to side at intersections so as not to damage bollards? And my last "Gee I wonder" question is one that was initiated by me driving down Main Street today only to have .. you guessed it a delivery vehicle parked unloading - not only was he blocking my lane but he was using a dolly out of the side door so while doing this he was holding up oncoming traffic in the other lane as well. Wonder if the city has or have intentions of advising delivery companies to use back lane ways. Bad enough with three lanes but two not so good. Does anyone recall if the city has announced when they will be starting work in the 300 and 400 blocks?

I agree with most of your comments and have similar questions about how things will work out, Southy. I drove it today and found it a very confining feeling in the 200 block. If a semi is going down there (why are they, though?) and encounters a wide vehicle, I can see some sideswiping is going to occur. Wider sidewalks in most of those stores (that are actually open) will seldom get used, fewer parking spots (perhaps they don't need as many now, as maybe they expect fewer patrons)? The transition down to two lanes is odd as well; yellow bollards in the middle of the road; hope they aren't permanent. If they replace them with a raised Island, that's going to be accidents waiting to happen. Re the delivery truck double parked, if I encounter what you did there, I would sit behind the truck, honk my horn, give the Trudeau Salute and report the driver to his company. It MAY still be somewhat legal for them to do that (though just plain ignorant) but pretty sure the city had said that they will enforce that rule and make them deliver via the rear alleys. Bottom line in my opinion is that it was one heck of a lot of money for what they got and will not entice anyone to frequent that area, anymore than it used to. Of course once they install benches, the vagrants will have nice places to hang around on. Starting the 300 and 400 blocks? Taxes are high enough now, maybe when the cows come home. Definitely future plans will change come next Fall (after the clean sweep election).
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

madmudder wrote:Even more reason to avoid Main St. Like that's going to revitalize downtown.LOL

My sentiments exactly. Parking in the 200 block is even tougher now. Wait till the Fall when they change the 100 block to parallel parking and lose a lot more spaces. Must be something in the water fountain at city hall. Don't think anyone knows what the heck they are doing anymore.

I voted for John V. and other folks; not the present bunch of baffoons.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Anyone notice the not so veiled shot at downtown merchants made by Ashton at the celebration opening? He was bang on. For those that did not hear it or read it he basically said to these downtown property owners that the taxpayer had coughed up the money for this project and hoped that the owners would respond in kind by putting some money into sprucing up their own properties and storefronts so the taxpayer effort would not be a wasted effort.

It was the correct thing to say Dan.....but don't hold your breath waiting. The only thing that happened was the taxpayer buying a bunch of lipstick and creating a hope for the downtown slumlords to hang on to their investments instead of marketing them at their true ROI values where someone might actually buy the lands and actually invest to do a real revitalization of the downtown.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:Anyone notice the not so veiled shot at downtown merchants made by Ashton at the celebration opening? He was bang on. For those that did not hear it or read it he basically said to these downtown property owners that the taxpayer had coughed up the money for this project and hoped that the owners would respond in kind by putting some money into sprucing up their own properties and storefronts so the taxpayer effort would not be a wasted effort.

It was the correct thing to say Dan.....but don't hold your breath waiting. The only thing that happened was the taxpayer buying a bunch of lipstick and creating a hope for the downtown slumlords to hang on to their investments instead of marketing them at their true ROI values where someone might actually buy the lands and actually invest to do a real revitalization of the downtown.

I guess we can be thankful that they didn't put bike lanes on Main, at least; that's one good thing. Some of the store fronts need extensive reno work; no question. Why fancy up the sidewalks (few stores will use them; other than the odd café or dress shop) and cut down to two lanes. One store near the Mayor's store appears to be never be open. I honestly have never seen it open its doors; always a sign on the door - out on service calls. I cannot name it, or that would be considered a negative business review but anyone who has walked that block knows which one I refer to. Why have a store front then; work from home. Not a lot of stores that I would want to go into in that block. They should have started up in the 600 block, actually, as that's the real entrance to downtown. I hope we save the money and have it in the pig before the city does any more so-called beautification work. Fix whats broken and old but this isn't the time to break the bank when we can not afford it.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:
I guess we can be thankful that they didn't put bike lanes on Main

They couldn't do that. It would have interfered with the delivery trucks parked in one of the two traffic lanes XT.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

[quote="twobits"

They couldn't do that. It would have interfered with the delivery trucks parked in one of the two traffic lanes XT.[/quote]

Good one, twobits, ha ha. I am waiting for the day when I come across the next delivery driver who double parks in that block. I wont be as polite as Southy likely was. Heck, since nobody is likely to use the wide sidewalks, maybe the trucks should just jump the curb and park on the new bricks? At least the sidewalks would then be somewhat useful, lol.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Careful there XT - the gang over at City Hall might read your statement and before you can say damn delivery drivers city hall will have put bollards along the sidewalk so no vehicles can drive on the sidewalk.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Careful there XT - the gang over at City Hall might read your statement and before you can say damn delivery drivers city hall will have put bollards along the sidewalk so no vehicles can drive on the sidewalk.

Southy, at this point, nothing would really surprise me. Those elected officials (who voted for these *&^%$$ anyways?) come up with the most hair-brained ideas on Planet Earth.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:
They couldn't do that. It would have interfered with the delivery trucks parked in one of the two traffic lanes XT.

I went down today to the 200 block. Saw two different company delivery vans (won't name them) double parked in the 300 and 400 blocks (three lanes there, don't forget). When they moved down to 200 block, they parked on a side street and "wheeled" (with a dolly) their goods to various locations. If that's what they wish to do (rather than use the rear alleys) that's fine. Likely the companies have got the message to not double park when there are only two lanes available. Sounds like a little bit of progress to me.

Return to “South Okanagan”