Main Street opening soon

pentona
Übergod

Re: Main Street opening soon

Post by pentona »

I always enjoy the Vancouver Police Dept motorcycle drill team perform at the Peachfest parade. I notice that on page 6 of the Peachfest guide, it states that the team will not be able to perform in the 200 block of Main Street due to the narrow street.

Thanks Mayor and Council. This part of the parade route will now have the least amount of spectators. Some upgrade.

Note: the plan (unless we can oust the present council before its completed) is to narrow all of main Street right up to the 700 block. I wonder happens to the M.C. Drill teams performance then?
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

yep, what's that saying about putting lipsticks on a pig? For penticton streets it seems to be bollards.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I walked the 100 block of Main Street today. Wide sidewalks on the West side in front of the bank and City hall (for what?). Maybe city hall plans on putting staff desks onto the sidewalks to better serve the public?

The loss of a lot of parking spaces is going to hurt city hall and anyone who visits Gyro park. Going to parallel from Angle parking is simply ignorant. When they have concerts in Gyro park, those angled spots were often filled to capacity. Now, good luck finding a space.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

pentona wrote:I walked the 100 block of Main Street today. Wide sidewalks on the West side in front of the bank and City hall (for what?). Maybe city hall plans on putting staff desks onto the sidewalks to better serve the public?

The loss of a lot of parking spaces is going to hurt city hall and anyone who visits Gyro park. Going to parallel from Angle parking is simply ignorant. When they have concerts in Gyro park, those angled spots were often filled to capacity. Now, good luck finding a space.

Pentona not to worry the way things are we might see city hall fence in Gyro Park and put pay turnstiles at entrance points. Think of the tax dollars they can create from events being held there. Of course I kid. Someone tell city hall that though wouldn't want to give them any ideas.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:I walked the 100 block of Main Street today. Wide sidewalks on the West side in front of the bank and City hall (for what?). Maybe city hall plans on putting staff desks onto the sidewalks to better serve the public?

Silly girl. The wide sidewalks in front of City Hall are to accommodate bike racks so staff can peddle their bikes to work.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:
Silly girl. The wide sidewalks in front of City Hall are to accommodate bike racks so staff can peddle their bikes to work.

I'm glad that you were polite, twobits and used the word "bikes" in that sentence. I bet you were thinking of another word, however, at least for council members.

Perhaps City hall is going to have regular sidewalk sales instead of raising taxes. [icon_lol2.gif]
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Yup just think of the possibilities this new improved wider sidewalk provides. Over the next two years there are sure to be many more protests and these wider sidewalks will give protesters lots more room to engage with mayor jak and team. Also during our warmer summer months these wider sidewalks will allow council to hold outdoor meet and greet engagement socials, a real nice informal way for council to get to know its residents. These sidewalks will also allow for complimentary cosmetic piggery sessions. Residents will be allowed to join city staff for instruction on how to professionally apply lipstick to a pig :biggrin:
flatty

Post by flatty »

How much car storage do you need? There are large parking lots in behind Starbucks that should satisfy.

When you write "the loss of a lot of parking spaces" you could have also written "the addition of public space."

The city's changes to the 100 and 200 blocks are great. Best practices in urban planning now support many modes of transport,
not just the car. Of course there are going to be car storage issues when every person (or two) brings a 5 foot by 10 foot 3500 lb machine wherever they go. Of course there are other, more sustainable options. Public transit for instance,
it's great!!
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Welcome to the dance Flatty. You see some folks in Penticton are really frustrated and angered with what has been occurring over the past two years. You for one seem quite content, at least on the issue of improving the 100 block and making the sidewalk in front of CH wider. You also see no problem with loss of parking spaces in the 100 block because everyone knows you can park over in the paid lots behind Starbucks - just a minor inconvenience for most to do the hike back over to CH to pay your bill. For some though, those perhaps with medical issues that hike isn't an option. I don't know for sure, but I would hope this problem can be resolved by CH putting in an adequate number of handicap spaces directly in front of their entrance. Curious as well - how do you see as you say .."addition of public space" being utilized in that area?
You speak of sustainable options to driving a vehicle downtown - public transit is the only option for you? Nahhh sorry ain't buying it. I think there is more to this dance than you are letting on. Do tell please.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

flatty wrote:
How much car storage do you need? There are large parking lots in behind Starbucks that should satisfy.

When you write "the loss of a lot of parking spaces" you could have also written "the addition of public space."

The city's changes to the 100 and 200 blocks are great. Best practices in urban planning now support many modes of transport,
not just the car. Of course there are going to be car storage issues when every person (or two) brings a 5 foot by 10 foot 3500 lb machine wherever they go. Of course there are other, more sustainable options. Public transit for instance,
it's great!!

Yep, as if someone is going to park way over in the parking lot behind Starbucks and pay to park, just so they can quickly zip into city hall. Thats a bit of a walk as well for anyone with mobility problems.

I just did a count on what used to be angle parking in that block. There used to be 66 spots on the West side and changing that to parallel, it will be reduced to 30. That's more than a 50% reduction is available parking for both city hall and Gyro Park. So much for bringing people into that area. And don't give me that about taking public transit. Not everyone wants to or has the time to wait for a bus.

I think when it comes time to replace the underground services in my neighbourhood and dig up the street, I will insist that they widen my sidewalk as well. Would be handy for future garage sales. Makes about as much sense as what they are doing with the 100 block.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:I just did a count on what used to be angle parking in that block. There used to be 66 spots on the West side and changing that to parallel, it will be reduced to 30. That's more than a 50% reduction is available parking for both city hall and Gyro Park.

Then again, we might even see an increase in empty available parking spots in front of City Hall. While spaces may have been reduced by 50%, only 25% of the population can execute a parallel park.
Personally, if no spots are available in front of City Hall, I will be parking in the City staff and vehicle parking lot right behind City Hall and take my chances that I will be in and out before a bylaw officer can ticket or a tow truck shows up. I'll actually make a point of looking to see if the Mayors dedicated spot is available first to use.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:While spaces may have been reduced by 50%, only 25% of the population can execute a parallel park.

ROFL
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

How about a bit of a Conspiracy Theory? Perhaps the City eliminated all those parking spots thinking that if nobody can find parking, then they won't be able to come in and complain, give input, suggestions, etc. They also want you to pay your bills online (unless you want to pay the extra buck for mailing). It could all be part of their big "Plan" (Scheme of things). Hey, it wouldn't be the first boneheaded plan that they have even undertaken.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 6th, 2016, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 6th, 2016, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic

Return to “South Okanagan”