Accountability & Responsibility [?]

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Accountability & Responsibility [?]

Post by kgcayenne »

I became suspicious of the dealership's service dept when they began coaching me on how to get the best trade-in dollar for my car. I stopped going to them when they were dismissive and vague about some suspension wear that I know damn well could be a problem, PLUS tried to tell me the car's Kms indicated it was time for a new timing belt--- I'd actually had them replace it already (only 30,000 km prior).

Six months later, I took it to an independent, and had new shocks and struts put on. I had not before been hesitant about getting important work done at the dealer, so for them to not pick up on this work at my regular oil changes is inexcusable. Fired 'em, and now I get all my work done at the independent.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Daspoot wrote:Find a good Independent shop with good references and build a relationship with them. it's worth it's weight in gold!

Nailed it exactly.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dreamon
Board Meister

Post by dreamon »

I have dealt with the same dealer for many years (25+-) and subsequently gotten to know some of the staff on a first name basis, including the deceased previous owner and his family.
Ray Marshall the service manager has been there for a long time, preceded by Finbar many years prior. Ray has always gone above and beyond to look after his customers, whilst doing his job and looking out for the company at the same time. Ray has always been a pleasure to deal with.
Deb Harrison has been there even longer I think, looking after customer concerns and issues.
Yes the dealership model is going to be more expensive for service a lot of the time, however I think many dealership service issues have at least two sides to the story.
Your tale of woe will not deter me from using Murray GM.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

dreamon wrote:I have dealt with the same dealer for many years (25+-) and subsequently gotten to know some of the staff on a first name basis, including the deceased previous owner and his family.
Ray Marshall the service manager has been there for a long time, preceded by Finbar many years prior. Ray has always gone above and beyond to look after his customers, whilst doing his job and looking out for the company at the same time. Ray has always been a pleasure to deal with.
Deb Harrison has been there even longer I think, looking after customer concerns and issues.
Yes the dealership model is going to be more expensive for service a lot of the time, however I think many dealership service issues have at least two sides to the story.
Your tale of woe will not deter me from using Murray GM.

I think the main point here is (example) why would one spend $500 on a brake job at *removed* when u can get as good or better job for $300 at a independent ?
Dealerships by enlarge are way over priced service wise for what you receive verses $$ charged. that's a known fact
Last edited by ferri on Aug 19th, 2016, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: business name removed
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

Well twobits I did sign a form, "my bad" L_____- the Service Tech [Greeter] said it was just to give permission for them to look at the car and remove the door paneling. Live and learn we have a Older R.V. Van Pleasureway hat I take to Earl at Napa Cherry lane Auto, that's where I should of taken the wife's car, but stupid is that stupid does. Thanks everybody I made a rookie mistake at 70.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

theseeker wrote:Well twobits I did sign a form, "my bad" L_____- the Service Tech [Greeter] said it was just to give permission for them to look at the car and remove the door paneling. Live and learn we have a Older R.V. Van Pleasureway hat I take to Earl at Napa Cherry lane Auto, that's where I should of taken the wife's car, but stupid is that stupid does. Thanks everybody I made a rookie mistake at 70.

Not trying to burst your bubble but the franchaise independents like a couple mentioned in previous posts run a very similar model to the dealerships in upselling. I always look for a shop where the owner pulls wrenches alongside his employees.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I own a 10 year old vehicle; its worth at least $10,000 STILL by the book price and likely more because of low mileage. The dealer where I bought it keeps sending me "Bait" that they will give me $2000 on a trade in. Whoopdeedoo! Not a chance in you know where that I would bite. I've also never used their services since the warranty ran out; huge difference in service work between them and a good independent (which I have found).
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

I had a very similar experience at that same Penticton Buick GMC Dealer while having my wifes minivan serviced. In fact, it was with the same service rep, L____. I decided after that bad experience I was going to sever all ties with that dealership and none of our 3 vehicles will ever be back in their service bays.

Return to “South Okanagan”