Another departure from city hall!

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Another departure from city hall!

Post by rustled »

Yes, well, you of course will continue to believe whatever you like, as is your prerogative. And I'll continue to think It is very bad form for anyone to use Sorenson to further their own agenda.

In my opinion, this sort of thing actually says a great deal more about that agenda than it does about city hall.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:The fact remains that more people have left employment here in the past few years than ever before; nobody can dispute that.

Could you put some names/numbers with that please? I'm guessing you pay closer attention to the goings on at city hall than I do. I'm still wondering if the actual number of departures warrant this level of concern.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:

Could you put some names/numbers with that please? I'm guessing you pay closer attention to the goings on at city hall than I do. I'm still wondering if the actual number of departures warrant this level of concern.

Nope, not a chance, Fluffy. This gets too close to liable; you can list them if you wish but I won't be. If you had been following local politics in the past couple years, you would know how many there were, their names and SOME of the reasons (not all) why they left.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

You can send me the list in confidence XT, I can assure you I'll be discrete. I'm still not convinced as to the extent of this so-called "problem".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:You can send me the list in confidence XT, I can assure you I'll be discrete. I'm still not convinced as to the extent of this so-called "problem".

Sorry, no can do; naming people, even via PM can be dangerous. You will have to research things yourselves if you wish to continue. Most will not agree with you that this is not a recent problem.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I'd like to know what your real deal here is Fluffy? Self appointed moderator for the City of Penticton? You come across as an intelligent individual, yet, you continue to play these silly mind @#$% games. You know full well what the hell has gone on and is continuing to go on at city hall and in the community. You ask for evidence? Do you honestly believe that people are that naïve to start spouting off about issues that will end up in the courts? You don't read newspapers (well the Herald anyways and I'm sure Mr. Miller appreciates your character assassination) yet you are one of the first to jump all over a media release to the Western? Again, you have some awareness - do you really think Mr. Sorenson is going to say anything other than what he said??? I suppose we can all get somewhat Pollyanna and say well gee you know he left because of personal reasons. Ahh notice he doesn't divulge personal reasons? Yet you expect everyone else on this thread to start puking their guts out so you can get what you already know. Give me a break. Asking XT to send you a list in confidence - my God man your self importance is amazing. Trust you after what you've said on these threads about individuals who have posted what they believe - based on evidence and information they have sourced. The day is going to come and probably sooner than later where much of what is not being disclosed will be and then we can meet again on another thread titled:
Told you so!! Till then - I've had enough!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:Sorry, no can do; naming people, even via PM can be dangerous. You will have to research things yourselves if you wish to continue. Most will not agree with you that this is not a recent problem.

That's a cop out. You've got nothing. "Most" do not suspect that there is a "problem" at all.
Last edited by fluffy on Aug 24th, 2016, 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:I'd like to know what your real deal here is Fluffy...

My "deal" here is that I don't care for people passing judgement on unsubstantiated speculation. I thought I'd made that plain. There is far too much of it going on and it does nothing but breed more negativity and discontent. You can keep it.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:That's a cop out. You've got nothing. "Most" do not suspect that there is a "problem" at all.

Not at all; its being smart and not posting names of staff. Council you can get away with but staff not so much. I'm sure there are others who will continue to spar with you over this one but I won't. Done. We agree on other issues on the forum but not this one.
ETA: your term "most" should not have the word NOT after it. Read the news, forums, letters to the editors; its all out there.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

If it quacks like a duck, it is a duck. The mistake many posters here are making is trying to tie council to the reason for high senior staff turnover. It is not. The problem is a few senior staff who shall remain nameless and are actually the ones running the City right now. With only a cpl of exceptions, there are not enough brains on this current council to manage a hot dog stand let alone the City.
As to James Millar.....weigh every piece of trash ink he puts on newsprint with great suspect. He has turned the Hearald into a local National Enquirer in an effort to make his own job secure.
The only reason to buy the Herald now is to count how many letters that Isherwood, Slump, Wiltse, or Barillaro wrote in one week. The back page is now the best page in the whole five pages of flyer wrap rag. At least the Western doesn't charge us anything to fill our recycle box.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

So, this week we find out that Colin Fisher is leaving his position as CFO and is being replaced by Jim Bauer on October 1.
Now, we hear about the departure of Tina Lee, Communications Officer.
http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/392190581.html
Sad to see quality staff go.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hardly anything remarkable in either of those departures.

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/392179591.html
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Prima Facie;
But, if we are taking a larger snapshot of the City Hall departures picture, the mass exodus from City Staff started two years ago.
Although the administration of the daily business is not on the shoulders of council, their decisions and actions determine the 'labor hours' invested and when council decisions start sucking up and diverting regular duties. Makes it hard to find a balance, which has been the 'reason' for most of those leaving.
With the staff changeovers occurring, it is increasing the instability of the response times, project timeline continuity, and citizen relationship building.
It seems as though, prior to the last election, there were many factors driving the movement for 'change'. The newly elected inherited previous commitments and implemented their 'revitalization initiatives'.
But, that's just my observation.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It sounds like pot-stirring to me Dawnland. Here we have two examples, a young, short term employee who has been offered something glamorous and exciting, and a long time employee who announced his intention to retire a year ago but stayed on a little longer at the behest of council. How can you even begin to attribute those departures to some imagined failing on council's part?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Very welcome comments Fluffy. Media reporters and moderators making obvious effort to keep things in perspective is IMO a very important part of "reporting the news" and moderating feedback. A true breath of fresh air.

Return to “South Okanagan”