Another departure from city hall!

Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Re: Another departure from city hall!

Post by Straight Shooter »

Fluffy keeps on asking for reasons for people to think that is someone wrong with the City of Penticton. Like I've said I live in Kelowna but I do listen to the news. So I googled "Blunders that the City of Penticton have made" and came up with the following editorial, please read.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... l?mode=jqm
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There are some points in that editorial worth considering to be sure, but I'd caution anyone against taking Mr. Miller's word as anything near objective. A little critical thinking applied to his version of things would be in order. Let's just say that it is well known that scandal sells newspapers and the Herald's circulation is down 30% since he took over as managing editor in 2008.

Let me say that I'm not saying that this council is perfect, what council ever is? I think you'd have t go back to the days of Ivan Messmer to find a Penticton mayor who be be truthfully described as popular and even then he had his share of detractors. My position here is that I take issue with people who issue a groundless opinion as fact. Something wrong at City Hall? Show me.
Last edited by fluffy on Aug 23rd, 2016, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Straight Shooter wrote:Fluffy keeps on asking for reasons for people to think that is someone wrong with the City of Penticton. Like I've said I live in Kelowna but I do listen to the news. So I googled "Blunders that the City of Penticton have made" and came up with the following editorial, please read.

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... l?mode=jqm

I'm more interested in Fluffy listing all the great things that our present council has done for us. That should be a very short list.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:I'm more interested in Fluffy listing all the great things that our present council has done for us. That should be a very short list.

You're talking like you think I'm some big council fan-boy. Wrong.

This is about the right/wrong of passing judgement without credible information. It's called "contempt prior to investigation" and you'll find it on a list of common character faults.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:You're talking like you think I'm some big council fan-boy. Wrong.

This is about the right/wrong of passing judgement without credible information. It's called "contempt prior to investigation" and you'll find it on a list of common character faults.

James Miller was pretty much bang on with his list.http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... l?mode=jqm Can you provide a similar list of GOOD that this council has accomplished? (please do not include law suits).
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:Can you provide a similar list of GOOD that this council has accomplished? (please do not include law suits).

And what will that show? The topic here is the suggestion that the turnover in upper management positions at city hall is due to some sort of dysfunction. I'm saying "prove it".
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:
And what will that show? The topic here is the suggestion that the turnover in upper management positions at city hall is due to some sort of dysfunction. I'm saying "prove it".

What will it show? If you can NOT provide such a list, it would show that it could very well be the reason that upper management have left in record numbers. After all, aren't council supposed to be the bosses of staff? If you aren't happy with your boss, people often quit and find something better but in today's tight job market that's not common. The term dysfunction might be a bit much but rather dissatisfaction of one's job could be more in line with the thread. If you know why these folks are leaving in such high numbers, please disclose it. ETA: James appears to have dug as much as he can without a F.O.I. request and that's likely never given for personelle matters.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There's a lot of "ifs" in there XT, which is my whole point. Council's past performance on unrelated matters is not relevant. There are reasons to leave a job that don't necessarily involve any measure of dysfunction on the part of the employer. And just how high are the numbers? I think you and a few others here are trying to push a theory based on a predisposed dislike for the current council and that, in my considered opinion, is a position devoid of integrity.

Like I said before though, the situation is easily resolved. Just post the factual information to support the dysfunction theory. So far all there is is suspicion and speculation, nothing any lawyer worth his salt would take into court. :)
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Fluffy - like your footnote: Page 570 I do believe. And you're playing this silly mind-@#$% game with people who believe what they believe? Really!! You know exactly what I'm talking about!!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:Fluffy - like your footnote: Page 570 I do believe. And you're playing this silly mind-@#$% game with people who believe what they believe? Really!! You know exactly what I'm talking about!!

I know what I'm talking about, do you? You may want to give that footnote a little deeper thought.

I for one will continue to use the term dysfunction at city hall because no other word better describes what has been happening over the past 24 months.

Maybe you'd like to elaborate on the dysfunction. I note the dysfunction theorists here are happy to criticize me for my position, but reluctant to give some substance to just what the nature of the so-called dysfunction at city hall is. What's that other quip, "Principles before personalities" ?
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

fluffy wrote:There are some points in that editorial worth considering to be sure, but I'd caution anyone against taking Mr. Miller's word as anything near objective. A little critical thinking applied to his version of things would be in order. Let's just say that it is well known that scandal sells newspapers and the Herald's circulation is down 30% since he took over as managing editor in 2008.

I really don't think that Mr. Miller is directly responsible for a 30% decrease in newspaper sales considering its a global crisis due mainly in part to on-line news data. Wasn't it just around two years ago that the Kamloops Daily News ceased publications amongst other daily and weekly papers? Hey, here in Kelowna there was no shortage of civic blunders but those were mostly years back when the CoK was spending thousands of tax payers money on ridulouis law suits that mostly came back to bite them in the *bleep*. If you want to read about scandals read about the Rutland Parks Society fiasco here in Kelowna, now that is selling viewership attention!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Straight Shooter wrote:I really don't think that Mr. Miller is directly responsible for a 30% decrease in newspaper sales considering its a global crisis due mainly in part to on-line news data.

We certainly can't lay the whole thirty percent at his feet, likely not even most of it, but you can bet he is under pressure from his higher-ups to do what he can to boost readership. I used to read it a lot, until his juvenile editorial style just became too much. He has some favorite targets, local town councils and school boards come into his cross-hairs on a regular basis. He's not stupid, but he is opportunistic enough to try and cash in on the more divisive local issues by adding fuel to the fire so to speak. He's just doing his job, I suppose we all sell our souls to the devil to some degree.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Sorenson gave his reasons. They're in today's Western.

Looks pretty straightforward to me: he came out of retirement to serve a city he's very fond of, and now he is ready to focus on some strategic projects while helping to transition in the new CAO.

I, for one, appreciate Sorenson's efforts on our behalf, and I find it disappointing that people are using his apparently civic-minded actions as fodder for their own agendas.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Thanks for the heads-up rustled.

Read the article here:

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/390754191.html
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

rustled wrote:Sorenson gave his reasons. They're in today's Western.

Looks pretty straightforward to me: he came out of retirement to serve a city he's very fond of, and now he is ready to focus on some strategic projects while helping to transition in the new CAO.

I, for one, appreciate Sorenson's efforts on our behalf, and I find it disappointing that people are using his apparently civic-minded actions as fodder for their own agendas.

You folks can believe what you want to but there is no way in H_ll that anyone in upper management with the city is always going to tell the REAL reasons why they quit or were let go. Not only could be embarrassing but could leave them liable and also hinder them from finding future employment. There were others; not just this latest person who left and nobody will ever find out the real story; those cases have been sewn shut. The fact remains that more people have left employment here in the past few years than ever before; nobody can dispute that.

Return to “South Okanagan”