Another departure from city hall!

southy
Lord of the Board

Another departure from city hall!

Post by southy »

It seems to me that Penticton has had more than the norm of upper management leaving it's employ. Now Mr. Sorenson. Could there be a dysfunction at an upper management level that isn't being disclosed? How do we find out? Compared to other cities within our region city of Penticton has a very high management turnover. Remember we have two more years of this movie and I for one really wonder where it will end.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--21-.htm
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Another departure from city hall!

Post by Rosemary1 »

I would guess these frequent departures after a short time on the job along with the reasonsreasons given are a pretty good indicators of some kind of dysfunction. Either whoever is making the hiring decisions is not adept at matching people and skills to job or there is a deeper working dysfunction between city council and senior management.

Surely Sorensen knew a year ago the job was full time and what entailed. A sudden turnaround in wanting to spend more time with family? um.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Rosemary1 wrote:I would guess these frequent departures after a short time on the job along with the reasonsreasons given are a pretty good indicators of some kind of dysfunction. Either whoever is making the hiring decisions is not adept at matching people and skills to job or there is a deeper working dysfunction between city council and senior management.

Surely Sorensen knew a year ago the job was full time and what entailed. A sudden turnaround in wanting to spend more time with family? um.

I agree - just like the "not a good fit". To bad we can't use that line on our elected officials.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Wow...another one jumps ship. Guess they couldn't fix that leak in the old tub; it just keeps getting lower and lower in the water.
MarcD75

Post by MarcD75 »

Maybe we need to investigate the manager of the HR department it seems that with a couple of wrongful dismissal lawsuits and sudden departures of a couple of managers that something is not right at the city. I understand that this is a different situation but with Jules Hall being let go after being here just over a year something is not right . He spent 6 years at Calgary and was sought out by the City of Penticton but the manager of the HR department suddenly decides it's time for him to go ?????? I say council should have a good long look at who is running the ship in the HR department
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

MarcD75 wrote:Maybe we need to investigate the manager of the HR department it seems that with a couple of wrongful dismissal lawsuits and sudden departures of a couple of managers that something is not right at the city. I understand that this is a different situation but with Jules Hall being let go after being here just over a year something is not right . He spent 6 years at Calgary and was sought out by the City of Penticton but the manager of the HR department suddenly decides it's time for him to go ?????? I say council should have a good long look at who is running the ship in the HR department

Understand what you are saying MarcD75, however, this is where the water gets really really muddy. You keep saying that council should have a good long look at who is running the ship in the HR department - something tells me there is more to this than just the HR Department. I could be wrong, but wouldn't Eric Sorenson in his position oversee HR? How much influence does mayor and council actually have over staff / management? Lots of unanswered questions. What we do know though is there obviously is an issue/issues and it doesn't look good. Appears to be a "if we don't tell them (the public) they won 't know and all will be ok."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Or maybe Mr. Hall wasn't the right fit and Mr. Sorenson wants more time with his family. It's not like there has to be some dark conspiracy.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:Or maybe Mr. Hall wasn't the right fit and Mr. Sorenson wants more time with his family. It's not like there has to be some dark conspiracy.

One can always look on the positive side, Fluffy, however there must be reasons why so many upper management have either quit or been let go in the past couple years.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

XT225 wrote:...there must be reasons why so many upper management have either quit or been let go in the past couple years.

Sure there are reasons, but should we assume that some manner of dysfunction is in play? I have a bit of an issue with the relentless council bashers who assume that the reasons have to point to a failure in the system. Sometimes people don't fit. Sometimes people decide that their job is taking to much time away from there family.

I think that a whiny, critical attitude doesn't help, especially when people operate from a position of prejudice. That's why I stopped reading the Penticton Herald. There are a lot of people out there who are easily swayed by others' opinions, and griping and whining just breeds more griping and whining. There's some wisdom in the old adage "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." I'm not saying that we shouldn't correct mistakes and injustices, I just think it can be done without all the crabbing and gossip. Deal with it as best you can and move on. It's a nice day out, if you want to screw it up with a bunch of crybaby crap then fill your boots, just keep it to yourself and quit screwing up everybody else's day.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Wow Fluffy! Are you saying others aren't entitled to their thoughts and opinions because it might screw up someone's day?
Really?? I for one will continue to use the term dysfunction at city hall because no other word better describes what has been happening over the past 24 months. If the tax paying people of Penticton don't hold those at city hall accountable then who will????? Thanks to the Elvena's and James Millers of this city a lot of what shouldn't be going on at city hall has been disclosed and with good cause. And by the way - have a nice day!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote:Wow Fluffy! Are you saying others aren't entitled to their thoughts and opinions because it might screw up someone's day?
Really?? I for one will continue to use the term dysfunction at city hall because no other word better describes what has been happening over the past 24 months. If the tax paying people of Penticton don't hold those at city hall accountable then who will????? Thanks to the Elvena's and James Millers of this city a lot of what shouldn't be going on at city hall has been disclosed and with good cause. And by the way - have a nice day!

Fluff was obviously having a bad day, South; not to worry. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. I agree with you; the present City is Dysfunctional; moreso than ever before. Hard to say if its senior STAFF that are the problem (bringing some of their hair brained ideas to council for approval) or if its the council members themselves. Regardless, in the History of our City, I have never seen such turmoil. Who's fault is it? The Public? Hardly. Deciding NOT to read the local paper is a persons right; however the reasoning is questionable. If a person doesn't want to hear anything negative or opposite to their views, that's rather shallow and they won't get the full picture. SOMEONE has to provide the other side to the Rosy picture, if the matter is before the public. Playing ostrich and pretending that problems do not exist won't fix the problem. One of our councillors also said he won't read the papers; again that's his prerogative but he can't expect to know the FULL story if he only sees one side of things. Its hard to know who really IS running our city these days. I fully agree with giving credit where credit is due and if a good project that was necessary comes to fruition and looks good, we should give kudos to those responsible. Lakeshore drive is a good example. If folks like Mr. Martin had sat by and did nothing, the city would have put in parallel parking and lost many parking stalls. He was able to wake them up and it looks good now. The 200 block revite? Upgraded but poorly planned. We needed new underground infrastructure for sure but narrowing the street was the wrong move; so no kudos for that project. We need watchdogs to keep those in power, in check. Lets just hope they don't follow through with their pay parking threat.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Isn't speculation based on a pre-existing prejudice just so much gossip?
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

fluffy wrote:Isn't speculation based on a pre-existing prejudice just so much gossip?

Not "pre-existing" prejudice but rather continual performance or lack thereof. This is since the new council took over; their record is pitiful. ETA: believe me, if there was anything good to say about their performance, we would be all over that. The way that a lot of things get done in this world is by "constructive" criticism. Playing ostrich to facts accomplishes nothing.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

That's what I'm talking about. What sort of factual information do you have that supports the thought that there is any more to either of these "departures" than what has already been released?
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Living in Kelowna for over 53 years, I find it incredible the amount of gaffles that the City of Penticton has done either through decisions from council or upper city management. The list is endless but it seems to me being a northerly neighbours that it's been mostly in the last 5 to 10 years. One thing that really baffles me is why the CoP doesn't have a corporate sponsor for the SOEC that would give the city a minimum of around $1 million per year in available funds? Surely that must have been discussed amongst city officials.

Return to “South Okanagan”