Penticton's Information Technology T

Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Penticton's Information Technology T

Post by Rosemary1 »

From todays paper in a nutshell:
City's IT budget is $1.4m budget and includes 6 staff. City paid undisclosed amount to TMC Consultants to be told its badly in need of HARDWARE 'fixes' assume they mean upgrades) . TMC also heard from staff about its inability to effectively and efficiently get information. Assuming this means applications and databases that don't talk to each other or data warehouse. Solutions would require development of new applications and database and/or enhancements. These would be separate and additional SOFTWARE costs separate from any HARDWARE 'fixes'. City hiring yet another consultant for $70K to presumably put some kind of plan together.

Seems institutions supported by public money are notorious for dependency on external consultants and City of Penticton is no different? Is there not a head of IT who is presumably qualified to bring forward proposals to remedy any IT shortcomings identified by the IT team? Or is Council just not listening? Does council figure its an easier sell to public if recommendations come from external consultants than the City's own senior management?

Expect the $830,000 will just be the tip of the iceberg.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton's Information Technology T

Post by southy »

Rosemary - perhaps you should read the rest of the story. The answer to your questions are in it and it isn't city council. Please don't get me started! :D
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

If I missed something significant I stay corrected . My main points were merely that such projects are often more complex than they seem at start with a bigger sticker at the end along with some skepticism regarding use of consultants.

And really at the end of the day who ultimately approves a City's budgets and responsible for overseeing its operations if not the City's council with input and recommendations from staff?

Will reread .
Last edited by Rosemary1 on Aug 25th, 2016, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Rosemary1 wrote:I am reading between line because these things are usually more complicated than they appear and often final cost is greater than originally estimated . Who is ultimately responsible for approving budgets and overseeing municipal operations if not a City Council?

I thought that its the city managers of each dept who sit down each year and decide who will cut what from each dept., then it goes to council for final approval. I could be wrong on that, though.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

And when was the last time anyone heard a Gov't employee say they didn't need a huge Capital investment from the taxpayer to make their job easier?
This article is just more sensationalism from the Herald. And hypocritical as well. Many past editorials have lauded past Council's fiscal responsibility and touted recognition Penticton received from the Canadian Taxpayers Federation for the fiscal responsibility. Along comes Joe Fries and says neglect of past admin is biting them in the butt. What a crock of crap based on a few small truths. Joe makes it sound like City Hall is operating with manual typewriters and carbon paper.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

There may be some truth in what you say. - but I believe that article was referencing conclusions of consultants based their interviews with city staff and not the opinion of theHerald reporter
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Rosemary1 wrote:There may be some truth in what you say. - but I believe that article was referencing conclusions of consultants based their interviews with city staff and not the opinion of theHerald reporter

And I would refer to the first sentence of my previous post. If I hire a consultant to examine IT requirements, I would expect them to be qualified in IT and able to look at the hardware and software being used and make a recommendation based on that instead of disgruntled employees that seem to think the taxpayer pocket runs right down to their socks.
It's the same damn mentality of the fools that think their cell phone must be upgraded every time a new one comes out.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

I would really like to read the story in question but am unable to find it on the Herald's site. Does anybody have access to a non-paper copy?
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

marooned wrote:I would really like to read the story in question but am unable to find it on the Herald's site. Does anybody have access to a non-paper copy?

I believe this is what you are looking for:

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... 55755.html
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

Thanks! - Single points of failure in IT systems (networks, mail, or other apps) is terrible. Sounds like they're doing the right thing in bringing in someone to solve, as the existing IT staff are too busy putting out fires from other poorly-implemented projects and systems that were cheaped out on to help resolve.
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

So as an IT Consultant myself stuff like this is common, you would be shocked(or perhaps not) at how badly mismanaged IT solutions are.

The problem I see time and time again is a complete lack of knowledge of what is needed, what is possible and how it should be implemented, so you end up spending insane $$ on something that doesn't do what you want and isn't implemented correctly and is maintained by people who don't know how to run it properly. Then you add in consultants(yup ragging on myself) that see situations like that as dollar signs. Its a recipe for disaster.

A properly planned and setup IT solution should be a one time expense with very limited maintenance needed, growth should be factored into the initial setup and documentation should be created to explain every aspect of the system.

I've helped quite a few placed around the okanagan in the past few years and it's always the same story, a system that doesn't do anything they want, monthly bills from a contractor either far away, in some cases as far as Alberta, that do limited support and little to zero clue how the system works or how to use it properly.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “South Okanagan”