Residential sewer rates

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Residential sewer rates

Post by rustled »

Interesting that the city's giving R1 (large lot) owners a break on their irrigation, but not R2 or R3 (small lot).

Wonder what the rationale is behind that?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
twobits
Guru

Re: Residential sewer rates

Post by twobits »

rustled wrote:Interesting that the city's giving R1 (large lot) owners a break on their irrigation, but not R2 or R3 (small lot).

Wonder what the rationale is behind that?

There is no logical rational behind it. If it were logical, they would at least scale the discount according to lot size. And what about strata's? How can one control how much water their neighbour uses? It was bad enough having to share the water cost but now it is double ended.
What this policy is going to encourage is people tapping off the water service before the meter. Any halfwit can buy a hacksaw and ten dollar shark fitting with instructions from the local building supply store and run their irrigation for free. Two shark fittings and three feet of pex pipe will bypass the meter entirely. No soldering or wrenches required.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Good point about the strata issue, hadn't thought about that. Too busy whinging about my own costs going up. At least I have the option of keeping them as low as possible with what I do in my yard. (I mean xeriscaping, but your shark fitting suggestion's helpful, too, esp. since you say even a halfwit can do it :biggrin: !) But people in stratas really are at the mercy of their neighbours.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Interesting that the city's giving R1 (large lot) owners a break on their irrigation, but not R2 or R3 (small lot).

It appears to me the whole thing went back to the drawing board at the last council meeting .

Highlights of the revised plan for Residential uses:

Residential uses (including single family, multi family, strata’s and mobile home parks):
1. Monthly fixed charge based on meter size (April to September). NOTE fixed charge expenses for the
entire year will be recovered over the six month summer period.
2. Monthly variable consumption charge (October to March) based on water use. NOTE consumption
expenses for the entire year will be recovered based on winter water use over a six month period.
3. No reduction for irrigation use. This is addressed by not using summer water use to calculate the
sanitary sewer consumption charge.
4. No reduction for pools. This is addressed by not using summer water use to calculate the sanitary
sewer consumption charge. The pool owner would have to fill his pool and add make up water from
April to September.
5. Create a minimum variable consumption to be applied to customers with low winter monthly water
use. This would ensure those that are not in their home in the winter would still contribute to the
sanitary sewer consumption expenses.

So don't go shopping for the shark fittings yet. It appears to me an easier solution may be to simply rent out your house from October to March and transfer the utilities into your tenants name.

Congratulations to the landlords in the city! City staff are giving you a rent increase by removing the sewage costs from your tax bill and placing it on your utility bill. I guess kudos also go out to the city's accounting and collection departments for reaping the benefits of another make work program on yet another convoluted system of user pay.

There was also some great news for businesses in the city. Under the revised plan they will have the opportunity to shell out a substantial amount of money to avoid paying a few extra dollars on their monthly bills.

Non-residential uses:
1. Monthly fixed charge based on meter size (January to December).
2. Monthly variable consumption charge (January to December) based on water use. NOTE variable
consumption expenses for the entire year will be recovered based on water use over a twelve month
period.
3. No reduction for irrigation use.
4. No reduction for pools. As the variable consumption charge is billed monthly it is not possible to
eliminate the impacts of pool filling.
5. Approved water reduction for business processes would apply.
6. Addition of appropriate language to the Fees and Charges Bylaw to clarify exactly what is allowed
and what must be submitted as part of a request for a business reduction.

7. Addition of appropriate language to the Fees and Charges Bylaw to create a review fee for business
reductions.

8. Addition of appropriate language to the Fees and Charges Bylaw to create a fee for businesses that
defraud the City when they apply for an exemption

ETA: The whole thing works for me! Not only do I get to live in a city that appropriately deals with its liquid waste, under the user pay system being contemplated - I no longer have to contribute to the benefit.

Awesome.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Consideration for irrigation and non-sewage related industrial use seems appropriate.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

rustled wrote:Consideration for irrigation and non-sewage related industrial use seems appropriate.

Drip_Torch heard:
Thanks drip, you unelected, unaccountable troublemaker... I was unaware of that.

You're welcome.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

A much more equitable policy. Thanks for the update. Didn't see that meeting as I was cursing the lack of fish on my line.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “South Okanagan”