No water for Summerland for 3 days?

southy
Lord of the Board

Re: No water for Summerland for 3 days?

Post by southy »

LTD wrote:a whole lot of crying about nothing to funny

Unless you own a restaurant, hotel/motel, service station, church, seniors care home, etc. etc. oh by the way just wondering, how will this outage effect the pool and arena? Does water fall under provincial or federal jurisdiction.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I think that comment was made with regards to the average homeowners. Aren't we warned periodically about being prepared in the event of an emergency? Knowing well in advance to plan for two full days shouldn't be that difficult.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
summerlandab

Post by summerlandab »

A water main break or other system disaster would result in the same kind of shutdown with a lot more mess and no warning or preparation time. Fill your tub and use a bucket to flush when necessary. Jugs filled at the sink in the kitchen don't need to be moved anywhere for cooking. Paper plates etc cut down on washing up. I'm pretty sure everyone has enough clothes to last three days. Drinking water can be stored in clean milk jugs. Wash yourself in a basin or wait till the water comes back on, three days won't turn you into a hobbit. The Medical facilities always have to have back up systems. Businesses will have to close if water is required in large quantities, there will probably be something tax related for them, I don't know how that works. What I'm saying is this, it's not unexpected, planning and preparation will cover most situations. Helping those who can't help themselves is neighbourly and compassionate. Use common sense, save the drama for the stage.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

Agreed, all too many seem to need to manufacture problems where there aren't any, then express outrage at the problems that don't really exist.
On a different forum
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Just talked with my insurance provider and he says that if your house burns down because there is no water to the hydrant across the street or in your house then your insurance is void and the municipality would be on the hook.
One assumes that the municipality has legal council?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If one doesn't have a hydrant - how do fire trucks put out fires? I expect the fire department will have emergency plans in place.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Fancy wrote:If one doesn't have a hydrant - how do fire trucks put out fires? I expect the fire department will have emergency plans in place.

If one does not have a hydrant within 1000 ft of their home, they pay far more insurance. They will be covered in this situation because they are already considered unprotected with only a responding fire truck.

And please do tell what a fire department can do with a pumper truck that carries 1000 gallons of water when a house is on fire? If you had any idea you would understand that is enough water to perhaps deal with a garden shed. If suchan event were to happen, a house fire, they would ration that paltry amount of water in hopes of preventing the neighboring home did not catch fire and watch the home on fire burn to it's foundation.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

RandyDandy wrote:Just talked with my insurance provider and he says that if your house burns down because there is no water to the hydrant across the street or in your house then your insurance is void and the municipality would be on the hook.
One assumes that the municipality has legal council?

The contingency the City will have to undertake is take out an insurance policy to blanket cover every building and life in Summerland while everyone is considered unprotected for those three days. Can't believe that will come cheap and the use of those funds would have been better spent on a permanent and reusable bypass instead of cheaping out for twenty bucks a taxpayer and having a permanent infrastructure asset.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The expected time frame is less than 3 days and who knows? - maybe the work will be done in less time. It will be interesting to find out the cost of the insurance policy that is taken out when that question is asked at the information meetings as well as the other questions brought up in this thread. Hope someone makes a list.
rubato

Post by rubato »

To all the doomsday preppers schooling me on how to flush my solids, cut down on meal prep and clean up etc., thank you, but I think I've got that covered. Getting down to brass tacks, do you own a business that will lose money because it has to shut down for three days? Will your elderly parent in extended care be left in his or her bed without a sponge bath? Do you own and operate a nursery and have thousands of young seedling plants that will croak (in other words wipe out you business for the year) because you don't have water to mist them three times daily? Will your insurance be null and void if your house burns down because there is no available water for our amazing VOLUNTEER fire department to work with? This is bigger than many of you armchair professionals realize.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

As stated earlier - that's what the meetings are for - to get answers. Most of the discussion was for the average homeowner.
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

rubato wrote:To all the doomsday preppers schooling me on how to flush my solids, cut down on meal prep and clean up etc., thank you, but I think I've got that covered. Getting down to brass tacks, do you own a business that will lose money because it has to shut down for three days? Will your elderly parent in extended care be left in his or her bed without a sponge bath? Do you own and operate a nursery and have thousands of young seedling plants that will croak (in other words wipe out you business for the year) because you don't have water to mist them three times daily? Will your insurance be null and void if your house burns down because there is no available water for our amazing VOLUNTEER fire department to work with? This is bigger than many of you armchair professionals realize.

All of those "problems" are easily dealt with with a little forethought and planning, any business or person not able to figure it out should be at their town's meeting to get the help for the things they can't figure out for themselves from people who are capable of planning for a minor inconvenience like this.

btw. the majority of what you posted in false, fear mongering, and the creation of problems that don't really exist.

Signed,
Armchair Professional.
On a different forum
Giants Head
Fledgling

Post by Giants Head »

A detailed explanation of the Summerland water shutdown has been posted on the Summerland District website. A group of very experienced construction experts are working the problem. Anyone with questions or concerns should attend the upcoming public meetings.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Giants Head wrote:A detailed explanation of the Summerland water shutdown has been posted on the Summerland District website. A group of very experienced construction experts are working the problem. Anyone with questions or concerns should attend the upcoming public meetings.

Is this the detailed explanation you speak of Giants Head? If not perhaps you can post a link to it.

http://www.summerland.ca/docs/default-s ... f?sfvrsn=0
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Giants Head wrote:A detailed explanation of the Summerland water shutdown has been posted on the Summerland District website. A group of very experienced construction experts are working the problem. Anyone with questions or concerns should attend the upcoming public meetings.

From the FAQ fact sheet.....

Why couldn’t a bypass be installed to avoid the shutoff?
There are very few valves between the Water Treatment Plant and PRV 10. In order for maintenance work to occur in PRV 10,
WorkSafe BC regulations require two valves with a drain in between to ensure safety of the workers in the underground vault.
Therefore, the water needs to be turned off at the Water Treatment Plant and there is no opportunity to bypass this part of the
system. The District continues to explore bypass opportunities elsewhere in the system to possibly supply water on a limited
basis.

The technology certainly does exist. The oil and gas industry has been dong it for decades. It's called hot tapping and plugging. All of the welding can be done in advance of any water shutdown and a bypass allowing a reduced but continuous water supply installed. The two isolation valves to comply with WCB regs could then be installed. Once they are in place, normal maintenance of the three prv's could be done one at a time with normal flow loads as per design and be in compliance with new regs. It would just cost more coin to do. If a cost benefit analysis were done however on cost to homeowners, business revenue and lost wages due to the total shutdown, I am pretty sure the result would be in favour of no complete shutdown.
The engineer's are not stupid. What is happening here is budget constraint preventing the solution for not shutting down 100% of water supply. The City is making the residents and businesses pay to avoid that solution. When they say bypass is not possible, what they are really saying is that it is not possible with the dollars we are budgeting.

Return to “South Okanagan”