Grand Chief's snub

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Grand Chief's snub

Post by GordonH »

Symbonite wrote:Is it a snub if they dont really care if you were there or not? It was an invite...not like a demand that he had to be there.

Exactly
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

In this case a snub is what's effective in getting him attention.
As a leader, he should show up and play the part.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

jimmy4321 wrote:In this case a snub is what's effective in getting him attention.
As a leader, he should show up and play the part.

Has he ever?
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/ ... w.facebook

Now he or someone is changing the story.

But if that the case good on Chief John Krugar to step in
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Ok, so I'm sure you all knew I'd comment sooner or later.
The snub was a direct request as a statement from all the chiefs, as a collective. Stewart Phillip is the representative of all BC Chief's, not the communities. This way all the chiefs can take part in all the pomp and ceremony without one community being singled out as a rebel dissenter. PIB, WFN OKIB, Bella Bella, Heitsuk are all welcoming and inviting.
With previous governments there were financial penalties for not participating, causing hardships in communities. Now with an organization like UBCIC, political opposition comes from that group without fear of financial repercussions. I'm sure you'll hear more from them with the LNG being approved. You won't hear as much from individual communities because some cannot afford to have any dollars 'clawed back' by Ottawa.
Although there is a historical issue, just recently with 'Idle No More' First Nations had requested the crown to do it due diligence in evaluating the omnibus bill that put our water and rights at risk. They refused even to send an observer. When the United Nations created the Declaration of Indigenous Rights and CANADA REFUSED to sign, we asked the Crown for an inquiry. They refused. We requested help with the murdered and missing women, they refused.
If it's the Crown's obligation to ensure we, as Indigenous people, are protected (our rights), are they really doing their job? Did they really deserve that Pole/Ring Ceremony?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 29th, 2016, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Dawnland, I must be misunderstanding your post, because you seem to be saying that if a single chief had declined this particular invitation, there would have been a clawback of payments or other financial penalties for his/her community. Is that what you're saying, or am I reading it wrong?

Graciously declining is not the same thing as using an opportunity to make political hay. If I understand correctly, Chief Stewart Phillip was asked by those he represents not to graciously decline. Instead, he was instructed to form his decision not to attend as a snub, specifically to send a message to the politicians. Surely you can see how this comes across, to many people, as him doing what he seems to prefer: taking a combative stance that will further reinforce the same unhelpful attitudes that led to a need for reconciliation in the first place.

As to what's been asked for and not received, once again it comes down to who deserves what, and who gets to decide who deserves what, and how people choose to protect their rights. In this case, it seems to me that once again, one group of people insists "others" should do much more for them than they're willing to do for themselves. They expect others to be completely cooperative and giving, while they themselves snub, play up their own vulnerability and further entrench themselves in positions of victimhood.

Playing up the "I was wronged and someone has to pay/do this/give us that" angle hasn't worked well so far, but it's still the go-to choice for too many people. It has always seemed to me that Chief Stewart Phillip prefers to take that stance, and I'm sure with him at their helm the chiefs and the people they represent will be continuing down that path.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 29th, 2016, 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 29th, 2016, 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to off topic post
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Royal couple snubbed by Canadian indigenous leader

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/28/world/pri ... d=29361523
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Phillip keeps going down a path that ensures no progress for native issues.

If you refuse to come to the table, you won't get to speak during dinner.

Perhaps the Indian Industry, as it's known, is what he'd like to keep in place? Many get very, very wealthy from it, but your average FN just slides further into poverty.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Rwede wrote:Phillip keeps going down a path that ensures no progress for native issues.

If you refuse to come to the table, you won't get to speak during dinner.

Perhaps the Indian Industry, as it's known, is what he'd like to keep in place? Many get very, very wealthy from it, but your average FN just slides further into poverty.

What the hell are William & Kate going to do with First Nation negotiations, since neither of them have any political power either here in Canada or back in Britain.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Nothing. As you say, it's not their place to get involved in politics.

Which is why they weren't able to respond directly to Chief Kruger's remarks. (I thought Kruger did the right thing. He showed up and said what he felt needed to be said, politely and honourably representing his people.)

It would have been quite rude for those arranging the royals' visit to BC to snub Chief Stewart Phillip, which I suspect is exactly how Phillip would have played it he hadn't been invited to participate in a ceremony or event.

It was just that, a ceremony, an event, and the royals didn't make this about politics. Chief Stewart Phillip did.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So rustled what's so important about meeting with William and Kate anyway.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Maybe the royals had their fingers crossed that he wouldn't show up? They just invited him to be polite, you know how royals can be. :)
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “South Okanagan”