Employment in Penticton

pengal

Employment in Penticton

Post by pengal »

I've been searching for work for a few weeks now. I've done administration/payroll for several years. I'm available immediately. I go to apply to several ads on indeed or even castanet, and these companies expect degrees in office administration + years of experience. BUT, they're only willing to pay $11 per hour? I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. I don't have a degree, but I have real world experience and thats not good enough?
To all you employers out there, if you expect someone with a degree to answer phones for $11, you're kidding yourself!
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Employment in Penticton

Post by just popping in »

I understand your frustration, searching for work is a full-time job and often discouraging. Apply for any and all positions of interest to you no matter what the ad says. Check all job sites daily. Keep your chin up. And yes, wages are low but getting a job nowadays is most important and the wage will increase. Good luck to you.
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Cue discussion about "sunshine tax..."
Daspoot
Übergod

Post by Daspoot »

I don't think that's indicative of all Okanagan Businesses. In fact I know it isn't. One thing people must do when moving here is to adjust perspectives from working, or even owning a business in a large city or population center. odds are in the Okanagan most businesses don't have a payroll person, a H.R. person, a Purchaser and a reception person, often all four of those are the same person as many companies here are just smaller.

Somebody doing that job(s) well is definitely worth more than $11.00/hr. though.
On a different forum
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

ToddT wrote:Cue discussion about "sunshine tax..."

Speaking of which... I'll be filing for a rebate this year.

:-X
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

ya but.....its expensive to buy and have things and keep up with the jones when you sign the front of the checks......
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

sooperphreek wrote:ya but.....its expensive to buy and have things and keep up with the jones when you sign the front of the checks......

But it's easy to keep up with the Jone's if people would just do the obvious and declare bankruptcy to avoid paying back student loans. I mean seriously, why pay back an obligation when taxpayers will do it for you?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i learned from the best. doctors - lawyers - businessmen - bankers. its a cultural thing. im a product of my environment.

Return to “South Okanagan”