Another Car Another Front Door

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Another Car Another Front Door

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:Silly as it may sound - it just might save a few more lives. This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed. Self-denial about physical and mental health plays into this big time. Who wants to admit they are aging and that they could have a problem/s that just might have an effect on their drivers license being renewed or not.

It might, there's certainly a good chance of that, the question would be "how many?" And if you wanted to focus efforts where they are needed the most, age groups under thirty-five have the most accidents, why not tighten things up there?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I wonder how many posters who think they have problems once you turn 65 will feel when they are clear-headed and have more defensive driving skills at 64 and are required by law to start being retested. Yes, if you are going to target a group, target the one that causes the most carnage on the road. It just may save a life. Without doubt, many lives.
I birn quil I se
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Maybe a new trend ?? A drive thru hair cutters, you can sit in your car and read a complimentary news paper and get your oil changed all at the same time.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote: And if you wanted to focus efforts where they are needed the most, age groups under thirty-five have the most accidents, why not tighten things up there?

Is that not already a focus with higher premium rates for the younguns?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

twobits wrote:Is that not already a focus with higher premium rates for the younguns?

I'm thinking that would be something they just accept and live with. Can you see lower insurance rates increasing the accident rate ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Randall T wrote:This argument has been done to death. Mandatory renewal testing at 65 or 70 is ludicrous. Police officers, family, or doctors can get licences revoked. To throw everyone into the same bag because of age and not cognizant ability is silly. May as well test everyone from teens to oldies every time their licence comes up. That would be the only non-discriminatory way and it may remove a lot more bad drivers for a lot more reasons from the road. However, just think of all the whining about "just another tax grab" that we would all have to endure.

So why isn't it working then? Or are you saying that you're happy with the current state of affairs?

I'll share my experience: Doctor's don't pull a license until way too late and the patient has been diagnosed with a medical condition. How the heck do you expect a doctor to assess someone's ability to drive? A doctor can only identify when they're definitely NOT ABLE due to a medical reason. There's a huge difference there.

Families cannot pull a license, they can only go to their doctor and ask him/her to do that.

Randall - ludicrous? Really? Actually testing someone to see if they're able is beyond reason? Time to come back to earth. Are you approaching that age yourself or something? Why do you believe it's so unreasonable? It's a 1hr test every 5 years!

The current reality is simple. Those who are elderly and unfit to drive only loose their license in 1 of 2 ways:
- A major medical condition making it physically impossible for them to drive safely along with a proactive doctor.
- A serious accident that brings the driver's ability into question (Hope it's not you or your family involved).
Last edited by TylerM4 on Sep 29th, 2016, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Fluffy - by chance do you have actual figures that show this younger demographic you speak of actually do cause more accidents? I tried searching ICBC's site with no luck. Would also be interested in the 50+ demo.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

southy wrote:Fluffy - by chance do you have actual figures that show this younger demographic you speak of actually do cause more accidents? I tried searching ICBC's site with no luck. Would also be interested in the 50+ demo.

I believe there was a time, way back when, when folks under 21 had to pay much higher insurance rates than the rest of drivers. Somehow that was changed; likely found to be discriminatory towards every driver in that age group, rather than single out those who cause the accidents.

I was watching a line of cars downtown yesterday and out of ten of them, 2 were on cel phones; I am not joking. Its disgusting to see. Upping the fine to $500+ doesn't appear to have solved the problem. In defense of senior drivers, I have yet to see a single one of them driving while using a phone. Good for them.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:
I'm thinking that would be something they just accept and live with.

Isn't that exactly what insurance company's do? Actuary tables for risk assessment. Maybe that's the problem until some vetting is allowed?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

southy wrote:Fluffy - by chance do you have actual figures that show this younger demographic you speak of actually do cause more accidents? I tried searching ICBC's site with no luck. Would also be interested in the 50+ demo.

I googled "automobile accidents by age" and got a number of results, both American and Canadian. Here is a Stats Can graph covering fatalities broken down by age groups:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/health112a-eng.htm

But there are lots available.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I guarantee you that if you look at it from a "Deaths per kilometer driven" standpoint, those 70+ yo groups would look a heck of a lot more dangerous.
george~

Post by george~ »

These should be mandatory.

Last edited by george~ on Oct 1st, 2016, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

twobits wrote:Ya, I learned that the hard way about three yrs ago when I did a California stop at a stop sign in the Safeway parking lot.

I hope you got a warning and not a ticket, because a stop sign erected in a parking lot isn't enforceable. Many of the laws that cover Highways can be enforced in parking lots, but signs placed by the owners of the parking lot, nope.

"traffic control device" means a sign, signal, line, meter, marking, space, barrier or device, not inconsistent with this Part, placed or erected by authority of the minister responsible for the administration of the Transportation Act , the council of a municipality or the governing body of a treaty first nation or a person authorized by any of them to exercise that authority;

It's funny when you're young you think everyone over 65 should be tested frequently, then you turn 65 and you don't think 65 is all that old. There is a lot of poor driving out there that is caused by age, some real old, some real young.

I hope I'm around at 91 to worry if I should be driving or not.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

my5cents wrote:I hope I'm around at 91 to worry if I should be driving or not.

Hell ... at 91 I plan on using my walker to shuffle over to my new BMW, slowly maneuver myself into the drivers seat and then do a few spins down Lakeshore checking out all the old (er) babes. [icon_lol2.gif] Now that's freedom 91
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

TylerM4 wrote:I guarantee you that if you look at it from a "Deaths per kilometer driven" standpoint, those 70+ yo groups would look a heck of a lot more dangerous.

I think they're involved in and cause plenty of fender benders but I'm not sure about fatal accidents, especially compared to young men. Reason being that speed is rarely an issue with the 70+ generation and it will always be one of the determining factors for severity of injury.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “South Okanagan”